Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiki Barber to retire?

Music to my ears. From the NY Times today:

"Giants running back Tiki Barber, the leading rusher in the N.F.L. this season, said yesterday that he was likely to retire at season’s end to pursue his ample off-field opportunities.

During a promotional book tour in Manhattan, Barber said he was “leaning toward” retiring, and that he had “pretty much” made up his mind. Asked what would force him to reconsider, he said, “Nothing.”

Did he do enough to get in the HOF? I don't think so but I am sure there will be a groundswell of support by the MY media and fans for it.
    I miss Philly!

Comment

I know he plays for the Giants...but when the NFL loses guys like Tiki Barber it hurts the entire league. It is hard not to have a high level of respect for a player like him.

Comment

I respect him a ton. I'd be happy to not see him twice per year and since he is going out on his own terms - even better!

Comment

Same sentiment here. I'll respect him a lot more when he's doing analysis for the NFL Network.

Comment

I saw an interview with him, and basically he sez he understands how lucky he has been, physically, and he wants to be able to run and play wiht his kids someday he see what other RB's go through and how many problems they have later in life and he knows that the clock is always ticking.

Now will he actually pull the trigger and retire, when somebody starts throwing a lot of zeros at him, we'll see.

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this subject. While Tiki has tortured me and other Eagle fans for years, I have to say how much I like his play on the field. He is beautiful to watch in that offense and I wish the Eagles had him.

It seems as though Tiki is wise to life in the NFL and has aspirations outside of football (family, post NFL career, health, etc). It would be a loss for NFL fans, especially NY Giant fans, but should Tiki decide to retire, I won't shed tears when he not playing against the Eagles...

Comment

He'll be back next year...he has 2 years left on his deal
                Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                  And that means ---- zero..... although it might be his way of trying to get a better deal.

Didn't Barry Sanders have time left on his contract also? (Can't remember)

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                    And that means ---- zero..... although it might be his way of trying to get a better deal.

so much that I believe the Lions asked for part of his signing bonus back

Comment

As a follow up - Sanders had 4 years left on his deal and the Lions got $1.8MM back because of it.

Comment

I feel the same way about Tiki Barber as I felt about Emmitt Smith: great guy, great team player, ton of respect, and oh yeah, I hate their guts.

The sooner the Barber brothers are out of the NFL the better.
                        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN

Its very difficult to turn down money....especially when you have a family and a long life in front of you...Barry was in a terrible situation, Tiki is not and, despite his lionization in this thread, I doubt he would simply walk away from it....I think he will play to the end of his deal and then, if no one is willing to pay him enough to stick around, he will walk....
                          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I think he will play to the end of his deal and then, if no one is willing to pay him enough to stick around, he will walk....
                            Paging Dan Snyder...Mr Snyder, please pick up the courtesy phone

Comment

As Barber said, he does have ample opportunities so he is going to see money whether he is on the field or not. Now it surely won't be as much as playing football but he will be able to feed his family (and we all know how bad that can be for a football player).
                              Although not a regular on FOX News network he sees a lot of time as a regular fill in. And has sat in (as do many) on the NFL Network.
                              Nothing is certain until it is done but I can easily see him go and it won't bother me one bit. I also don't see him as HoF even though he had an excellent career
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X