X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farve unhappy about way league treated Robinson

Updated: Oct. 19, 2006, 1:49 AM ET
    Favre angry that NFL turns its back on RobinsonAssociated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre sharply criticized the way the NFL handles substance abuse problems Wednesday, a day after teammate Koren Robinson was suspended for the season, apparently because of a drunken driving charge.

"I don't like the way the league has, in my mind, turned their back on him," Favre said. "I'm not against banning him for the year. I'd love for him to play, but to boot him out, clean his locker out and say you can't have no contact with this team?"

Favre, who entered the NFL's substance abuse program during treatment for an addiction to painkillers in 1996, said it doesn't make sense that the policy bans his teammate from the Packers' facilities "and the support group that can help him."

NFL spokesman Michael Signora said the league had no comment.

The league's policy includes a stipulation against consuming alcohol while participating in its substance abuse program. Robinson apparently violated that before being arrested Aug. 15, when police said the receiver's blood-alcohol content was 0.11 percent, above the legal limit of 0.08.

He pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of drunken driving and fleeing police in a high-speed chase near the south-central Minnesota town of St. Peter.

In the eyes of the NFL, the difference between Favre's case and Robinson's was that Favre sought help under the league's substance abuse policy and voluntarily entered a treatment facility after suffering a seizure while in the hospital for ankle surgery.

Favre wasn't subject to punishment, only periodic drug testing used for treatment. He also complained after treatment about being banned himself from drinking when he was in the NFL's program, though he made a conscious effort after his treatment to quit drinking to prolong his career and be a good family man.

Still, Favre said the league's decision on Robinson doesn't seem to be in anyone's best interest.

"I'm no expert, but I would think you would want for people to reach out to him and be within an organization that can help him as opposed to saying, 'You're banned from the building. To make matters worse, we don't even want you over here, so go think about it and deal with it on your own,"' Favre said.

Robinson said as recently as Monday he didn't expect to be suspended, but the league moved quickly against him. He did not return a phone call Wednesday.

His agent, Alvin Keels, said that Robinson is in a "state of shock" and thought the league would wait to hand down its punishment.

Robinson had caught seven passes for 89 yards and averaged 21.1 yards on 12 kickoff returns in four games for the Packers this year. He is eligible to be reinstated no sooner than Sept. 18, 2007.

Favre said Robinson told him last week that despite his troubles, he thought he had a lot of years left. Favre responded that he wished he could have played with Robinson earlier in his career.

"[He's] really a great guy," Favre said. "It's unfortunate that he has to go through this, but maybe it makes him a better person. Whether or not it makes him a better player remains to be seen I think the most important thing is his health and his family."

The suspension leaves the Packers without a proven No. 3 receiver with Ruvell Martin and other players expected to fill in with Robert Ferguson still on crutches after a foot injury.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Retire already. Koren has hardly endeared himself to the league and is not showing too much smarts by driving drunk while on thin ice.

God has spoken. Please reverse the ruling.

Comment

I can see where he's coming from, but don't know that I agree. One would hope he has a support group away from the field, but also, if players within the packers organiztion care SO MUCH about Koren, this ruling is not going to stop them from being able to TALK to the guy, right????
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Re: Farve unhappy about way league treated Robinson

Originally posted by Vet Turf
        "I don't like the way the league has, in my mind, turned their back on him," Favre said. "I'm not against banning him for the year. I'd love for him to play, but to boot him out, clean his locker out and say you can't have no contact with this team?"
        That's why it's called a SUSPENSION. Brett, STFU please. You're a stupid hick who's opinions are stupid and no one wants to hear you speak anymore. If you're so upset, take some pills, that should help you get over it. Or get suspended yourself, then you can go and hold his hand.

Comment

Swing careful there, Thou Shalt not use God's name unwisely!
          "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

Originally posted by god
            "I'm no expert'
            Then STFU!

Comment

First of all he had a chance. He was tested and given multiple chances. Seattle cut him after failing those chances. THEN MINNESOTA gave him a chance.

He was doing well and the NFL was testing him regularly and he got a DUI.

MINNESOTA cut him.

He is who he is at this point.

This is called parenting basically. He was given a chance to be a big boy and an adult. He had friends and teammates before - but now he's going to pay the price.

Period.

Favre has no brain.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I think Koren Robininson should take some time away from football and tryout for minor league baseball.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                  First of all he had a chance. He was tested and given multiple chances. Seattle cut him after failing those chances. THEN MINNESOTA gave him a chance.

He was doing well and the NFL was testing him regularly and he got a DUI.

MINNESOTA cut him.

He is who he is at this point.

This is called parenting basically. He was given a chance to be a big boy and an adult. He had friends and teammates before - but now he's going to pay the price.

Period.

Favre has no brain.
                  Exactly, it isn't like this is the first time someone has pointed out to him that he has a problem.

Comment

Fuck God! I hate that know-it-all motherfucker!

Comment

Working...
                    X