Thought provoking piece by DN's Rich Hoffman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought provoking piece by DN's Rich Hoffman

Hoffman contends that with the firing of McDermott, Shuey and Segrest...all home grown defensive coaching projects...the Birds are, to some extent, conceding failure of their plan to perpetuate the 'Eagles Model' by growing replacements for the staff from within the organization.

For me, the piece raises questions about the dangers of insular thinking and resistance to different thinking/approaches that come with bringing in coaching talent from outside the organization.

LINK:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ing_staff.html

Its a double edged sword...building from within can be very good and very bad as you point out, it all depends on what the context is.

Same with bringing in outside people with different perspectives, can be very good or very bad again depending on th context

In the Eagles case, the context is mostly about timing...we did develop Harbaugh, Spags, Rivera, Frazier et al. who have gone onto become HC, some with success and some just starting.

The problem is when those guys were ready, the spots here were not available i.e. DC or HC so they moved on AND we did not replace them with equally skilled young coaching talent.

I still think McDermott can be a good coach in the right situation, Carolina is good for him as he can learn more and is still quite young, but Shuey and Segrest etc. did not pan out and the Eagles rightfully should be held accountable for that.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Hoffman contends that with the firing of McDermott, Shuey and Segrest...all home grown defensive coaching projects...the Birds are, to some extent, conceding failure of their plan to perpetuate the 'Eagles Model' by growing replacements for the staff from within the organization.

For me, the piece raises questions about the dangers of insular thinking and resistance to different thinking/approaches that come with bringing in coaching talent from outside the organization.

LINK:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ing_staff.html

It's a fair point. There is a strong coaching tree from Big Red --Childress, Harbaugh, Frazier, etc. But as a lot of those guys have left in the last few years, there has been a brain drain. They have not been able to successfully replace that high level of talent that was here a decade ago.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The problem with Seagrest, McDermott and Shuey was none of them were qualified for the positions they were in.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.
          Speak for yourself! I happen to like Chicken Shit Salad. I am after all an Eagles fan!!
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

My concern has been having too many like minded coaches together. You worry about a team becoming stagnant/stale without an infusion of fresh ideas, as opposed to promoting yes-men, and guys that learned under the coach and are unable to form thier own concepts. Change can be good, evolution is necessary.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
              Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The problem with Seagrest, McDermott and Shuey was none of them were qualified for the positions they were in.
              Not sure I agree...I mean how does one become "qualified" to do a particular job?

They can either learn at the hand of a good teacher and experienced pro and/or learn on the fly in the actual position....McDermott did both which is why I think he still could become a better coach with more experience and success, he's already a pretty decent one.

Segrest and Shuey, I would be more inclined to agree especially with Segrest....we tried him at ST coach, failed and then on the D, failed. He either never picked up the coaching component or the tactical knowledge or both....Shuey was a young guy who had worked up the ladder, but again had little experience and will need more time to grow...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                My concern has been having too many like minded coaches together. You worry about a team becoming stagnant/stale without an infusion of fresh ideas, as opposed to promoting yes-men, and guys that learned under the coach and are unable to form thier own concepts. Change can be good, evolution is necessary.
                Not sure I see evidence of your claims...

I never saw any of these guys portrayed or show themselves to be yes-men or unable to think for themselves or to be even like-minded...

I think this is just the classic case of a unit performing under expectations in consecutive seasons and Reid determining the coaches were most responsible for the issues...they did not get enough out of the players on the roster and we need better options

-Andy Reid

Comment

The same argument of insular thinking came up a few years ago on the personnel side. I think of it as the West Virginia hypothesis - being inbred leads to retardation.

It was rumored that Heckert was let go because he disagreed with the draft and other personnel decisions. I don't remember anything that substantiated the rumor, but it was the same idea as the coaches being too like minded, and Heckert was the dissident voice.

Comment

And we hired Jauron from the outside, and let him go too. Not sure there is much to draw from here. The Eagles obviously had terrific coaches for some time -- there are now five head coaches in the league who coached under Reid here, I think. Most of those probably would have made terrific DCs... Spagnuolo sure did. I think we just had too many good coaches leave too fast, and there wasn't much left to promote "in-house". From a lot of players comments, McDermott was/is a very good coach... but he probably just needed more time to really be a DC. He was probably the best defensive coach the Eagles had left at the time, that was all. Really, it sounds like the Eagles hired maybe two bad coaches -- Segrest and Shuey. That's not really a trend or indictment of a philosophy. And really, I've heard nothing about how good or bad Shuey is even... we didn't care when Spagnuolo left since the LBs were mostly terrible under his coaching, but turns out it was more likely the quality of the players in that case and not the coach. The "promote-from-within" system would have been great if we still had Spagnuolo/Harbaugh/Frazier/Rivera to choose from.

But, at this juncture, it sounds like we had little defensive coaching talent left to promote, so you have no choice but to go outside the team. I wonder if they already have a feel for who the DC will be, and if that DC already knows a couple of coaches he wants to bring with him.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                      And we hired Jauron from the outside, and let him go too. Not sure there is much to draw from here. The Eagles obviously had terrific coaches for some time -- there are now five head coaches in the league who coached under Reid here, I think. Most of those probably would have made terrific DCs... Spagnuolo sure did. I think we just had too many good coaches leave too fast, and there wasn't much left to promote "in-house". From a lot of players comments, McDermott was/is a very good coach... but he probably just needed more time to really be a DC. He was probably the best defensive coach the Eagles had left at the time, that was all. Really, it sounds like the Eagles hired maybe two bad coaches -- Segrest and Shuey. That's not really a trend or indictment of a philosophy. And really, I've heard nothing about how good or bad Shuey is even... we didn't care when Spagnuolo left since the LBs were mostly terrible under his coaching, but turns out it was more likely the quality of the players in that case and not the coach. The "promote-from-within" system would have been great if we still had Spagnuolo/Harbaugh/Frazier/Rivera to choose from.

But, at this juncture, it sounds like we had little defensive coaching talent left to promote, so you have no choice but to go outside the team. I wonder if they already have a feel for who the DC will be, and if that DC already knows a couple of coaches he wants to bring with him.

I think this is the most likely scenario, the decision has already been made.
                      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                        They have not been able to successfully replace that high level of talent that was here a decade ago.
                        Speaking defensively, this is 100% correct. It was that failure which has held the Eagles back.
                        FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                          Not sure I agree...I mean how does one become "qualified" to do a particular job?

They can either learn at the hand of a good teacher and experienced pro and/or learn on the fly in the actual position....McDermott did both which is why I think he still could become a better coach with more experience and success, he's already a pretty decent one.

Segrest and Shuey, I would be more inclined to agree especially with Segrest....we tried him at ST coach, failed and then on the D, failed. He either never picked up the coaching component or the tactical knowledge or both....Shuey was a young guy who had worked up the ladder, but again had little experience and will need more time to grow...

I do think it's a bad sign that Segrest was permitted to fail at two position coaching duties. He was awful as the ST coach, and then was given another chance to fail at a very important position. That's the kind of thing that makes me worry about an organization becoming too insular.
                          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                            Speaking defensively, this is 100% correct. It was that failure which has held the Eagles back.

I agree that it's mostly on the defensive side. On offense they've held onto Castillo and brought Marty M. in to replace Childress, so they've had some continuity there.

Comment

Working...
                            X