Wish list for upgrading the Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
    The more I look around, barring a trade, I think I want Feliz back, at a reduced price.
    Looks like bringing Feliz back at a lower price is probably not an option. According to Bill Conlin in this morning's Daily news, "I'm told Feliz was so hurt by being dumped after playing for two World Series teams he would not consider returning".

Who knows? If there's little interest from other teams at anything near $5 mil and he cools off over time, Pedro may change his mind.

Losing him is not a major loss, but I do like his glove/arm.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Looks like bringing Feliz back at a lower price is probably not an option. According to Bill Conlin in this morning's Daily news, "I'm told Feliz was so hurt by being dumped after playing for two World Series teams he would not consider returning".

Who knows? If there's little interest from other teams at anything near $5 mil and he cools off over time, Pedro may change his mind.

Losing him is not a major loss, but I do like his glove/arm.
      If true I also am sorry to hear it. Again while his bat can stand an upgrade he is more then solid in the field. Certainly not a major hole.

Comment

Via Twitter:

HighCheese

Source says Phillies and Juan Castro have agreed on 1 year deal plus club option, pending physical. Might not be announced til next week

Comment

Phillies agree to deal with Castro
          Utility man to fill Bruntlett's shoes for club next season

By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com

11/24/09 5:14 PM EST

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies have found their replacement for utility infielder Eric Bruntlett.

They have agreed to a one-year deal with Juan Castro, who hit .277 with one home run and nine RBIs in 112 at-bats last season with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Castro's agent, Oscar Suarez, said Tuesday that "we're closing in on something." But a source said an announcement could come next week after Castro takes his physical.

It is a one-year deal worth less than $1 million, plus a 2011 club option.

"Who doesn't like the Phillies as an organization?" Suarez said. "You want to win. And who doesn't like Juan Castro? You want to have a superb utility man to back up the guys you have up the middle. We're trying to put this thing together. I think we're going to get it done."

Castro, 37, is a career .230 hitter in 15 seasons in the Majors with the Dodgers, Reds, Twins and Orioles. He played shortstop, second base, third base and left field last season with the Dodgers. He has played 538 games in his career at shortstop. He also has played 251 games at third base, 241 games at second base, seven games at first base and three games in left field.

The Phillies have needed somebody who can play shortstop for a significant stretch since they recently removed Bruntlett from the 40-man roster to allow him to become a free agent. They currently have no player like that in the system who is big league ready.

Other teams had expressed interest in Castro, according to Suarez. FOXSports.com reported that the Phillies and Dodgers were Castro's top pursuers.

"[The Phillies] probably need a guy who can play shortstop if Jimmy Rollins needs a day off or he gets thrown out of a game or he needs a break at the end of a game," Suarez said. "It makes a lot of sense. When you're a veteran player, you want to win. That's why he is enjoying the Dodgers. The last two years with the Phillies speak for itself."

Suarez could not give a timetable for when a deal might be reached, but it sounds like a formality.

Comment

Wow, Ruben literally replaced Bruntlett - Castro's numbers are terrible; hopefully he is spring training fodder

Comment

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
              Wow, Ruben literally replaced Bruntlett - Castro's numbers are terrible; hopefully he is spring training fodder
              Well certainly not blown away by this "upgrade".

Comment

I don't know how anyone can be impressed with signing Castro but...... there is still along way to go maybe this is a stop gap and they are still looking.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

we can't have a team without a maddening player (see Tomas Perez, So Taguchi, Eric Bruntlett & now Juan Castro).

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                    we can't have a team without a maddening player (see Tomas Perez, So Taguchi, Eric Bruntlett & now Juan Castro).

Perhaps they're supposed to provide 'comic relief' from the accumulating tension of the Long Season?

Comment

Not sure why in the off season they would even need a "Stop Gap" Nodak, but I think he fits the "payroll gap". LOL

Comment

Just read Donnellon.... like the piece and frankly it makes sense to me..

I'm on the Figgins bandwagon.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...1&pid=73737392

Comment

I would be extatic if the Phils sign Figgins! But if they did and Cholly had him bat 2nd after JRoll, I'd be apoplectic!

Now that they have their utility sub, Get Figgins!

I'm hoping that the fact that they haven't signed anyone yet, means they will go hard after him.
                          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                            I would be extatic if the Phils sign Figgins! But if they did and Cholly had him bat 2nd after JRoll, I'd be apoplectic!

Now that they have their utility sub, Get Figgins!

I'm hoping that the fact that they haven't signed anyone yet, means they will go hard after him.
                            to be honest, I'd rather have Beltre at less $ and less long term commitment and keep our 1st round draft pick than overpay for Figgins. We're going to need draft picks that can perform in 3 or 4 seasons from now considering the age of our core.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                              to be honest, I'd rather have Beltre at less $ and less long term commitment and keep our 1st round draft pick than overpay for Figgins. We're going to need draft picks that can perform in 3 or 4 seasons from now considering the age of our core.

As much as I'd love to have Figgins at the top of the order, I see the logic here, steve. He's going to command a lot of money.
                              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                                As much as I'd love to have Figgins at the top of the order, I see the logic here, steve. He's going to command a lot of money.
                                Darn that voice of reason!
                                www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X