Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genos Steaks in trouble over "Speak English" sign

From today's Inqy......

Geno's hit with bias complaintsThe Commission on Human Relations said it would insist on removal of a "Speak English" sign at the cheesesteak shop.
    By Mitch Lipka
    Inquirer Staff Writer
    One of South Philadelphia's biggest names in cheesesteaks is in a bit of a legal pickle for a lunch-line political statement against immigrants who don't speak English.

The city's Commission on Human Relations yesterday filed a discrimination complaint against Geno's Steaks over signs that read: "This is AMERICA ... WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH."

Owner Joey Vento has become a mini-celebrity over the issue and has steadfastly refused to pull down the signs despite the growing legal brouhaha. His son, Geno, said his father would not comment on the matter to The Inquirer.

Reached at his home yesterday evening, the Rev. James S. Allen Sr., commission chairman, said it was incumbent on the commission to get the sign removed.

"We think it is discriminatory, and we are concerned about the image of Philadelphia," he said.

According to the complaint, which was served on Geno's yesterday afternoon, the restaurant is in violation of two sections of the city's antidiscrimination laws: denying service to someone because of his or her national origin, and having printed material making certain groups of people feel their patronage is unwelcome.

In two weeks in the media spotlight, Vento - who has done a whirlwind of local and national talk shows - has defended the sign and said he had no intention of removing it.

He has said it is an immigrant's duty to learn the language and has acknowledged that his strong feelings were directed at Mexican immigrants, whose ranks are growing in South Philadelphia.

Vento, 66, said that the sign had been up for six months without complaint until recently and that it simply spoke to the notion that people who choose to live in this country should endeavor to speak English. He has made a point of saying he had never denied anyone service regardless of language.

But Allen said that didn't matter.

"The issue is not whether anyone has been denied service, but that such a sign discourages people from coming asking for service," he said.

Vento's son said yesterday his father would not comment on the issue to members of the print media on the advice of legal counsel.

Allen said the complaint begins a legal process that could subject Geno's to sanctions if the sign is not removed. It was not immediately clear how severe a penalty Geno's could be subject to if the complaint is found to be valid and an order to remove the sign is ignored. Rachel Lawton, acting executive director of the commission, did not return repeated calls seeking clarification and comment.

An investigation will begin, Allen said, and Vento will be afforded an opportunity to respond to the complaint. Then the two sides are supposed to get together to resolve their differences.

If the issue is not resolved, Allen said, a public hearing will be scheduled. The process, he said, could continue beyond that and has no certain time parameters.

"It depends on what his response is," Allen said.

The American Civil Liberties Union said that Vento had a right to express his opinions, regardless of how offensive they might be, but that his particular message might cross the line because of specific laws intended to make so-called public accommodations available to everyone.

Public opinion on both the Geno's episode and the larger issue of immigrants speaking the language of the land has been split. The Pew Hispanic Center last week drew attention to a poll that showed a large majority of immigrant Hispanics want to learn English.

City Councilman Jim Kenney said it was time for Vento to back down. He asked the cheesesteak wiz to take down the sign before the matter escalated.

"I asked for consideration, and the consideration was rebuffed," Kenney said yesterday. "I just think it's mean-spirited and divisive, and it's not good for the city's image."
    http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14803774.htm
    Yes - it's unfair and discriminatory
    0.00%
    No - it doesn't say anything offensive, just asks people to speak english when they order.
    100.00%
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

OK I'll weigh in on this one first. The sign is not offensive. It simply asks that peple speak english when they order. If you find english offensive you may want to reconsider where you choose to live! The "sanctions" are nothing more than political bullshit for the politicians to use as a means of gaining votes in the hispanic community for the next election. I suspect Mr. Vento is looking forward to getting into Court so he can grandstand about the need for people to speak english in America. If that's his POV that's fine, he;s entitled to it but this seems like a long way to go for a rather minor victory. I don't think the sign should come down but I'm not sure this is a battle worth fighting. The fact that the media is already involved and now the politicians are joining in means it can only become a bigger circus!!! To paraphrase a former Eagle, "Get yo cotton candy ready!"

Comment

Can't vote as currently phrased.

I think it's extremely tacky and par for course with the blowhard who owns the joint, but I don't think the government or anyone else has a right to demand the sign be removed, any more than they have the right to demand he remove the tacky anti-Mumia Hummer he keeps outside the place.

I'm just glad it's not a place I actually dig like Tony Luke's or Dellesandro's being that petty.

Comment

Also, exactly what kind of English is "wiz wit" ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd and Arch
          Also, exactly what kind of English is "wiz wit" ?
          Excellent point!!!

Comment

Living in the Southwest I agree with the sign 100%. So I voted no.
            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I voted NO,,, only cause it's also one of my little pet peeves!

Comment

MD are you trying to tell us you own Geno's?

Comment

This guy is a moron. Sure he can put up whatever sign he wants, it's his establishment. But to openly attack those who are your customers when there's a competing establishment ACROSS THE STREET is really stupid business.

Oh well.

Comment

Well if it is bad business-- he owns the business and he has to live with the results and if he is willing to lose business over his principles.... more power to him. Or just maybe he actually gets a bigger market share with the notoriety??

And no John I don't own Genos---- I'm really Tony Luke!

Comment

Vin I really don't see how the sign is offensive or how it "makes targeted groups feel their patronage is unwelcome." All it says is please speak english. I have no problem with people who struggle to learn the language, hell I travel all over the world and I can't speak any language other than english - so believe me I sympathize with these folks. What I don't understand is how you can live in a country and refuse to learn the language at all? Is it really pushing the envelope to ask someone to learn the language spoken in the place they want to live?

Comment

Can I say that it is offensive but not "discriminatory"?

Comment

I actually don't even know how you can order a cheesesteak in a foreign language. How hard is it to say cheesesteak wid or cheesteak widout?

BUT, the sign is mean spirited and stupid. I take it Geno is Italian. I bet there are plenty of italians in south philly that if you go back a generation or two, they didn't speak english much either. And those are the people who made Genos what it is today with their patronage.

The guy can run his business however he wants but to be a businessman, you take whatever business you can get as long as the money is legal. Plus, it sounds like this guy is liking the media spotlight too much. If there's one thing I hate, it's a media whore.

Comment

I voted, Yes. But only after hearing this azzhole interviewed on TV and because everyone else had voted , No.

I find him a good bit more offensive than his sign. By his own admission, his parents spoke no English when they migrated here from Italy. Should they have been refused service by all merchants, as they struggled to learn English. Perhaps they were and, thus, his atitude. It's always comforting to have someone to look down on.

I question the notion that MANY permanent residents of the US "refuse" to learn English. I'd be really interested to see a study that supports that contention. While I'm sure there are some "refusers", my guess is that the vast majority recognize the clear advantage of learning English. From what I understand, the English language is a good bit more difficult to learn than the Romance Languages, e.g. French, Italian, Spanish, becuase of all the irregularities in construction. I believe it was George Bernard Shaw who quipped, "The English and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language."(quote is approximate)

In all honesty, I believe he should be allowed to put up any sign he wants and live with the consequences...good or bad. How's that for a flip-flop? Maybe I should run for political office!

Comment

"In all honesty, I believe he should be allowed to put up any sign he wants and live with the consequences...good or bad. How's that for a flip-flop? Maybe I should run for political office! "

Hmmmm, so you voted YES, but you really think NO????

I think you're banned from any other SC polls!

Comment

Working...
                              X