Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that we'll travel 3,000 miles for a home game Sunday

Chargers move to LA continues to be a disaster

In addition to their third-straight losss to start the 2017 season, the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers drew another embarrassingly small crowd for their divisional "home" game against the Kansas City Chiefs according to Ryan Phillips of TheBigLead.com.

How bad was it? There were plenty of empty seats on display in a venue that only seats 27,000-the smallest venue by far in the NFL and smaller than more than 100 college venues. And many of the people in the stands were rooting for the Chiefs instead of the Chargers. It was so bad that, according to Phillips, " the Chargers knew the crowd was so pro-Chiefs that they didn’t even do player introductions over the public address system due to fears their own players would get booed. In their home stadium. In a new city the league told us was so desperate to have the NFL that it could support two teams. A city Dean Spanos said contained 25 percent of the team’s fans.

The scene at StubHub Center Sunday will do nothing to quiet the rumors that the NFL wants the Chargers to abandon the LA experiment and return to San Diego. That seems unlikely to happen but the NFL is getting exactly what it deserves in allowing and even encouraging the Chargers and the Rams to dump their former cities and move to sunny LA. It is not exactly as if the Rams are wowing the state of California-they can barely draw half of the fans that USC does in their temporary home and the crowd for the Rams' Week 2 home loss included a liberal dose of transplanted Redskins fans cheering loudly for their team.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I can't wait to see what the crowds will look like in the new 60,000+ stadiums!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
      I can't wait to see what the crowds will look like in the new 60,000+ stadiums!

LA is to the NFL, like Florida is to old folks. Teams move there to die.

Comment

Based on my first-hand experience, Eagles fans travel well to all road games*, and I would not be surprised if there are more Eagles fans than Chargers fans at the StubHub Center for next Sunday's game.

*I've been to 14 Eagles road games, and mind you 12 of them were against a team located within 150 miles of Philadelphia (Redskins - 7 games, Giants - 2 games, Ravens - 2 games, Jets - 1 game). But even with the other two Eagles road games I've seen (against Houston in 2014 and Detroit in 2016) there were a solid number of Eagles fans in attendance, probably at least 15% of the crowd in both cases.

Comment

By all accounts Birds fans took over the stadium!

Comment

Sounds like estimates were at least 70% Eagles fans.

Video report from a San Diego newspaper which found a San Diego fan who said he had to move out of his (expensive) seats just to find a group of Chargers fans to be with.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...63140-132.html

Few other piling-on articles:

https://deadspin.com/lets-check-in-o...ent-1819040461
            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.934d4bcf9724

Hicks asked for crowd noise during a 3rd and 10 for the Chargers offense and got it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/1/1...ter-crowd-fans

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
              Sounds like estimates were at least 70% Eagles fans.

Hicks asked for crowd noise during a 3rd and 10 for the Chargers offense and got it:
              Not surprisingly, the announcer remarked he had NEVER before witnessed a visiting player solicit cheering from
              the crowd for the defense AGAINST the home team...and get it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                By all accounts Birds fans took over the stadium!

Comment

Not too many years you get 9 home games in the regular season!

Comment

We also play the Rams in LA. It could be 10 home games.
                    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

LOL, yeah possible I guess!

Comment

Heck, there were a lot of Eagles fans (probably about 30%) at the Redskins game in DC (though Eagles fans did not comprise a majority of the crowd until about 1 1/2 minutes left).

Also, if the Giants continue to struggle and the Eagles have a good season, that game at MetLife Stadium in December will have a high percentage of Eagles fans. The Eagles could end the season with 4 straight home games but need to fly for one of them and take a train/bus for another.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
                          Heck, there were a lot of Eagles fans (probably about 30%) at the Redskins game in DC (though Eagles fans did not comprise a majority of the crowd until about 1 1/2 minutes left).

Also, if the Giants continue to struggle and the Eagles have a good season, that game at MetLife Stadium in December will have a high percentage of Eagles fans. The Eagles could end the season with 4 straight home games but need to fly for one of them and take a train/bus for another.
                          I like the way you think!

Comment

It seems like the Rams don't care where they play so far. Man will that game be hyped with Goff and Wentz!

Comment

Working...
                            X