OT-PFT: Doctors May Have Figured Out Harvin's Migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-PFT: Doctors May Have Figured Out Harvin's Migraines

Apparently, when he collapsed in Aug two things happened: his heart stopped momentarily (yikes!) and during his hospitalization, the doctors discovered he suffered from sleep apnea. The oxygen deficit may be the cause for the migraines.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...opped-beating/

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
    Apparently, when he collapsed in Aug two things happened: his heart stopped momentarily (yikes!) and during his hospitalization, the doctors discovered he suffered from sleep apnea. The oxygen deficit may be the cause for the migraines.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...opped-beating/
    I wouldn't wish what that kid has gone through on anybody. I hope that this is the answer for him.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

My 20 year old nephew died in his sleep. They ran every possible toxicity test on him to determine the cause of death (certain that drugs were involved).

After all the testing, they determined that his heart just stopped beating from probable sleep apnea. They found no evidence of drugs at all.

Ever since then, I check on my kids every night before I go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
        My 20 year old nephew died in his sleep. They ran every possible toxicity test on him to determine the cause of death (certain that drugs were involved).

After all the testing, they determined that his heart just stopped beating from probable sleep apnea. They found no evidence of drugs at all.

Ever since then, I check on my kids every night before I go to bed.
        My goodness. That is so sad, Pliny. I am sorry for your loss. I know someone that suffered mild brain damage, which showed itself as tingling and numbness in this person's face. After searching for other neurological reasons, they found out that he suffered severe sleep apnea. They surmised that the oxygen deficit caused the damage.

Comment

So sorry, Pliny..........

It's probably a part of what caused Reggie White to pass away, too. I was diagnosed a few years back....never knew that I had it until a girlfriend shook me awake, scared and telling me that I didn't seem to be breathing. I thought she was nuts, but when they evaluated me at a sleep medicine clinic, they said I was averaging about 50 (!!!)"disordered breathing events" an hour, some as long as a minute. Getting my tonsils out helped increase the size of my airway, but I still need to wear my CPAP breathing unit every night.
          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Thanks for the condolences guys. It has been 8 years now since he passed.

Since you guys brought up the CPAP, I will tell you my experience.

I used to snore and have a little sleep apnea. I tried a CPAP, sinus surgery, etc. I could not handle the CPAP. The sinus surgery did help a bit.

At that time, I weighed about 230 (at 5'11"). I played ice hockey, so I was in decent shape. A couple of years ago I dropped 25 pounds and started working with weights a lot. I changed my diet and eliminated almost all fried foods.

Now, I am a cut 205 at 48 years old. And, guess what ? My snoring has completely stopped without meds or anything else.

I was never really what you would call fat. But, I am totally convinced that fatty tissue that I did have was causing the snoring and sleep apnea.

Just thought that I would pass this one. My wife has kind of let herself go a bit. And, she has started snoring. I keep dropping hints that the problem is probably fats (she has a bad diet). I am convinced that this is the case with a lot of people (but not all).

I will tell you this.......I will watch my diet and exercise for the rest of my life. I feel great.

Comment

Good to hear on the exercise and whatnot, Pliny.......fwiw, I can't always bring myself to use the CPAP either, at first because of all those velcro straps that kept the breathing mask over my nose. It just wasn't comfortable. Now I'm using a less-encumbering thing, it's only two straps, plus a couple of air plugs, and that's it. It's much easier to wear, but still I don't always use it. I'm thinking about getting that dental appliance that they make for sleep apnea patients.

I just have narrower airways, I was born with them, and it makes it easier for me to have sleep apnea. I weigh about 175 (so, while weight is usually a big part of whether or not one has sleep apnea, for me it was never really a part of the problem). But I agree on the exercise stuff, totally!
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Pliny, good stuff about taking care of yourself, especially as we get older. I just turned 41, and am eating the cleanest I ever have in my life, and am probably at my lowest BF level since I was in my early 20's. I'd really be in fine shape if I had always taken this good of care of myself. I smoked until I was 39, and have been an on again, off again steady drinker. I had gotten in the hhabit of eating like I was some sort of human camel.....one or two big meals a day. Now I eat smaller meals 5-6 times a day. Plenty of protein, whole foods and veggies. For the first time in ages my bilirubens (which have been nototiously sky high) finnally dipped a couple of months back. My eyes were typically rather jaundiced due to the liver issues, and now they are more clear/white than I can remember. Seems I had to be staring at 40 before I figured it was time to look after myself. Good helath is a blessing.....but whether we are going to be blessed with it or not has a LOT to do with our own choices. I am now convinced.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

mmmmmm... reubens...

Comment

Damn it Vin, now I'm hungry!
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

i know they're terrible for you but reubens are so damn good. One of the greatest sandwiches ever invented.

Comment

That is the truth. I LUV ME SUM REUBENSZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

Ah well, time to go fix some egg beaters and whole grain muffins......
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                        X