X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like Reid is finally stepping in on defense

From Andy Reid At Eagles Practice

Sense Of Urgency Coming From Andy Reid At Eagles Practice
    Posted by GarryCobbBREAKING NEWS, Coaching Staff, Eagles, NewsThursday, August 23rd, 2012

There’s a sense of urgency that’s building at the Eagles practices and ti’s coming from head coach Andy Reid. Yesterday I counted four-times, that Reid demanded that plays be run over during the defensive period.

This is very unusual for Reid because he doesn’t normally get directly involved in the defensive part of practice. Normally he’s more of an observer of the defensive team work than anything else.

Yesterday, the big fella wanted passes from scout team quarterback Trent Edwards to be knocked down or intercepted by his secondary, not completed to the intended receiver. If it didn’t happen that way, Reid demanded that the play be run over. On one play he demanded that it be run over a total of three times.

He was living in the defensive huddle yesterday and talking to of the players on the defensive unit. When Jim Johnson was the defensive players, Big Red rarely talked to the defensive players during practice. They were Johnson’s responsibility and he gave the defensive coordinator plenty of room to do his job.

Yesterday, Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo was on the side with the defensive players, who were waiting for their chance to get in there. Reid who is usually anchored behind the offensive huddle and out of the way during the defensive period, walked into the defensive huddle after nearly each play during the defensive period of practice and talked to the defensive players.

This as a major step because football coaches are very territorial. Clearly Reid is concerned about what’s happening with his defense and Castillo is probably on a short leash. Big Red is starting to heat up. This Eagles team has as much potential as any of Reid’s Eagles teams but they also have been mistake prone during the first two games of the preseason.

Good teams aren’t usually described as injury-prone. There seems to be a lack of attention to detail. Yes, there’s a desire to excel, but so far they lack the focus to avoid running into the quarterback too late, holding receivers, jumping off sides, or holding in pass protection.

Reid blew up the other night on the bench in New England because he knows that you can’t let a team get in the habit of playing sloppy penalty-ridden football, or they doomed to repeat it when the games start.

I expect the Eagles practices are going to be very demanding from now until the season starts because it will be quite a challenge to have this team sharp despite not playing together very much in the preseason. That’s especially true of the offense with Michael Vick at the helm. They’ve only played together for twelve plays
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Don't know if this can be considered relevant to the thread, but I will post it:

24/7 Birds- "The Todd Bowles Effect"

Excerpt--
    “I don’t know if there was anything missing last year,” said Curtis Marsh, “I just know that this year we’re moving in the right direction.”
    http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012...bowles-effect/

Comment

Don't know if this can be considered relevant to the thread, but I will post it:

Wanted- Edator. Desparately. Thx, GCobb

Other than that, good to see AR really taking charge and doing whatever he has to.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post

Wanted- Edator. Desparately. Thx, GCobb

Other than that, good to see AR really taking charge and doing whatever he has to.
        That be blasfemee. GCobb is a collige gradute (USSEE, that's in Kalifornya) who knows hows to speeke and can spelz with the bes of em.
        Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

LOL. The typos in that piece were comical, for sure. My message board typing is WORSE, but WTF, I'm not getting paid to pay attention.

Anyways, I am glad that Andy is getting more involved in the D, however I don't know that he is qualified to run a defense either. I'd have been more interested to hear that Bowles was working in the huddle.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Why does Cobb have to put his own spin on it? I'm sure he asked Andy...like they all do...and got the same vanilla, but true response of, "We have an experienced offense and a developing defense. I feel my attention is more needed on the D side of the ball in preparation for our first game. I want to make sure we dont have any slow starts like we had last year." Translation by Cobb, "Aint that simple, Andy is hiding something...and I have to support my Juan incompetance stories, so Juan is on short leesh."

When is Cobb and anyone else going to explain why the 2nd and 3rd team defense is performing well in each game in a mismanaged defense?
            Pedro

Comment

Sounds like Reid is more trying to change the defensive players' intensity level (something that obviously ticked him off during the Patriots game). Seems like he doesn't trust them to just "turn it on" come the regular season, given last year, and as a fan, it's hard to blame him. Does not sound like Reid's involved with defensive schemes in any way.

Defense did not look good in the first few plays last night (shown on a look-in on NFL Network), but obviously they did pretty well after that. One of those plays, Nnamdi had good coverage on a guy but did not turn around to see the ball, and it dropped in just over him (had his arm up, but the ball missed the arm). There was another crossing route which wasn't picked up either, which led to a pretty big gain. The NFL Network replay is at 1pm today, I think. Will be interesting to see how they played -- some of the look-ins made it look like they were hitting pretty hard; don't think the starters liked having to be out there four days after the previous game, but Reid was obviously not happy with what he saw before last night.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                Sounds like Reid is more trying to change the defensive players' intensity level (something that obviously ticked him off during the Patriots game). Seems like he doesn't trust them to just "turn it on" come the regular season, given last year, and as a fan, it's hard to blame him. Does not sound like Reid's involved with defensive schemes in any way.

Defense did not look good in the first few plays last night (shown on a look-in on NFL Network), but obviously they did pretty well after that. One of those plays, Nnamdi had good coverage on a guy but did not turn around to see the ball, and it dropped in just over him (had his arm up, but the ball missed the arm). There was another crossing route which wasn't picked up either, which led to a pretty big gain. The NFL Network replay is at 1pm today, I think. Will be interesting to see how they played -- some of the look-ins made it look like they were hitting pretty hard; don't think the starters liked having to be out there four days after the previous game, but Reid was obviously not happy with what he saw before last night.
                Thank Gawd for NFL Game Pass. I watch it for specifics right after the games.

just a nice pass and catch on Nnamdi. It was underthrown, but on the outside shoulder, so Nanamdi had a hard time adjusting, but had perfect covereage. Sometimes, the opposition makes nice plays.

The next big play is a crossing by the HB and you can see Rolle way off the line... back in protection. You will see this several times from Rolle. He drops so far back, that there are a few wide open HBs, but their QB is too busy running for his life or getting sacked on the plays. I don't know if this is by design, but the WILL should be picking up the back (and he does sometimes, but not very well. He does hit the HB within the 5 yards really well a couple times, but when he is deep, they should get a first down.

Anyway, first series was a good one for Browns except for the thelp of penaties again and then our forced fumble.
                Pedro

Comment

Great to have your insight back here Pedro. That catch against Nnamdi was a good catch in good coverage. I'm getting ready to watch the replay on NFL Network to get a better idea of what went down last night. I worked late and ended up sleeping through most of the game.Not sure I like watching the Browns announcers,but the Eagles have some real douchebags on their team, so maybe it'll be better .
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                    Great to have your insight back here Pedro. That catch against Nnamdi was a good catch in good coverage. I'm getting ready to watch the replay on NFL Network to get a better idea of what went down last night. I worked late and ended up sleeping through most of the game.Not sure I like watching the Browns announcers,but the Eagles have some real douchebags on their team, so maybe it'll be better .
                    Thanks MM.
                    You will be shocked at how fair the announcers were. They (including Kosar) were very hard on their team and couldn't stop praising he Birds. "This was like watching big brother take on little brother"then Kosar, "yeah with a good old butt kicking behind the shed" and "we aspire to be what the eagles are," "listen to those hits (from Iggles), they really came to play." In fact, many fans who dont like AR and Juan would have puked on some of the compliments we received. You'll laugh when they praise Juan for a blocked punt.
                    Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                      Thank Gawd for NFL Game Pass. I watch it for specifics right after the games.

just a nice pass and catch on Nnamdi. It was underthrown, but on the outside shoulder, so Nanamdi had a hard time adjusting, but had perfect covereage. Sometimes, the opposition makes nice plays.

The next big play is a crossing by the HB and you can see Rolle way off the line... back in protection. You will see this several times from Rolle. He drops so far back, that there are a few wide open HBs, but their QB is too busy running for his life or getting sacked on the plays. I don't know if this is by design, but the WILL should be picking up the back (and he does sometimes, but not very well. He does hit the HB within the 5 yards really well a couple times, but when he is deep, they should get a first down.

Anyway, first series was a good one for Browns except for the thelp of penaties again and then our forced fumble.
                      After watching more, have to agree. Two of the passes were just very well thrown, one to a well-covered guy, the other threading the needle into traffic, and there was QB pressure. If the Eagles make other teams beat them that way, we'll be more than OK. The crossing route one was kind of a big cushion. I guess just having those plays happen all in sequence was a little disconcerting at first. The Browns did drive to the 2, though the fumble forced by Landri was killer. The lining up in the neutral zone was pretty sloppy (*three* times), but overall the defense looked pretty good I thought. Intensity was better, tackling was good, and I didn't see any of the constant coverage breakdowns we saw last year and in the first preseason game (most of which was Jarrett as well). Speaking of him, even Jarrett looked like he was where he was supposed to be this game (and last).

Offense was pretty good. Love Foles' poise, though I think it's now 5 of 6 deep passes that were underthrown, two of which have been picked off. That's a minor issue, especially if he keeps throwing them. Not sure if it's just a matter of learning to throw to NFL-speed receivers, getting it out quicker, or what -- but mostly he seems to make very good decisions and is accurate.

Still, the blowout was due to the turnovers -- Eagles likely saved a TD against with one, and then set themselves up for two easy TDs after that with two more (counting a blocked punt as turnover). Game is a lot closer if those don't happen (or happen in less-critical field positions). Edwards also made a horrible throw on the first play or so of the second half, for an easy pick six when there was a protection breakdown, but got saved by a really ticky-tack roughing the passer call. Edwards looked fine when he had time, but ... I think I'd rather keep Kafka.
                      Last edited by FairOaks; 08-25-2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                        Love Foles' poise, though I think it's now 5 of 6 deep passes that were underthrown, two of which have been picked off. That's a minor issue, especially if he keeps throwing them. Not sure if it's just a matter of learning to throw to NFL-speed receivers, getting it out quicker, or what -- but mostly he seems to make very good decisions and is accurate.
                        Experience with just how good the corners are
                        Experience with Jackson's speed (but he knows Johnson's speed)
                        Making throws out of the pocket...timing is off in judging when to release and there is added distance than when in pocket (throw to Chad).

Definitely needs to do better there.
                        Pedro

Comment

Working...
                        X