Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the top guards in the NFL - Bobbie Williams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also don't remember any HOF bids being sent Williams way-- and frankly I don't recall much in the way of FO bashing when he left.

Maybe the light came on when he wasn't re-upped--- maybe he was a late bloomer-- maybe he had some personality issues with memebers of the team or FO --- maybe,,,, maybe,,,,, maybe.

Comment

I'm surprised he is still in the league since his biggest problem seemed to be motivation and for most of his stay here we had better options with Wellborn and Mayberry.

I don't think this is anywhere near the miss that Burgess turned out to be, though I'm happy for him that he slowly evolved from a 2nd round bust to a solid multi-contract career.

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd and Arch
        I'm surprised he is still in the league since his biggest problem seemed to be motivation and for most of his stay here we had better options with Wellborn and Mayberry.

I don't think this is anywhere near the miss that Burgess turned out to be, though I'm happy for him that he slowly evolved from a 2nd round bust to a solid multi-contract career.
        He was one of the reasons we had so much success with the 3 headed monster. He was an excellent run blocker. His only problem was holding on pass plays. It sounds like he improved in that area.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
          and frankly I don't recall much in the way of FO bashing when he left.
          MD, that was my point. The FO rarely IMO misses on their player evals but in this case they underappreciated the progress he showed and failed to hold onto him. The fans didn't bash the FO for letting him get away because they had been so busy bashing Williams since day one and few took time to notice how much he had imporoved.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
            Originally posted by MDFAN
            and frankly I don't recall much in the way of FO bashing when he left.
            MD, that was my point. The FO rarely IMO misses on their player evals but in this case they underappreciated the progress he showed and failed to hold onto him. The fans didn't bash the FO for letting him get away because they had been so busy bashing Williams since day one and few took time to notice how much he had imporoved.
            Well I'm guessing that the coaching staff didn't notice either.

Can't remember for sure , but did they even make him an offer?

Comment

Didn't Williams fill in for pro bowl Mayberry? Didn't we send 4 O lineman (counting Lewis) to Hawaii? The Birds weren't about to pay him like those guys so he was let go. At the time, everybody (including us) knew he was gone. He deserved starter's money, and we had all kinds of guys hitting the FA market. The precious cap was in danger, so we let him go.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

What did I miss? I don't remember hearing or reading anything about Bobby Williams being great. Bzrezinski was a starter for Carolina when they had a good running and passing game, but I never thought that translated into the Iggels making a big mistake. Welborn and Mayberry were playing great at the time, so Bzrez took the biggger offer at Carolina.

And I am very curious about the CAP discussion here. Does it have to be about the CAP when another team outbids you for a BACKUP who they are making a starter? Williams WAS a backup who wanted to be a starter and wanted to get paid like a starter. Why is that evidence that the Iggles let him go because of the cap? IF this argument can be used, than the Iggles should be praised for allowing the LEAST amount of starters go each year. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Bobby WAS a bust in Philly, since he could not convince our staff that as a second rounder, he deserved to start or make big backup money. HE FAILED, not the IGGLES.....just like Chris Carter failed Buddy.
                Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                  Welborn and Mayberry were playing great at the time, .......... Williams WAS a backup who wanted to be a starter and wanted to get paid like a starter.
                  Actually Mayberry didn't play as he missed most of the season with an injury. Williams subbed for him and picked his game up in the process. NOBODY said he was playing great here. He did show that he could be good and has continued to progress in Cincy.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
                    Welbourn and Mayberry were playing great at the time, .......... Williams WAS a backup who wanted to be a starter and wanted to get paid like a starter.
                    Actually Mayberry didn't play as he missed most of the season with an injury. Williams subbed for him and picked his game up in the process. NOBODY said he was playing great here. He did show that he could be good and has continued to progress in Cincy.
                    "At that time" includes the time up to his injury and when he returned. I agree that he looked good, but it was evidently, not good enough to beat a probowler out and warrant real big backup money.

"Nobody" said he was playing great here, yet someone felt that his starting position with Cinci meant the Iggles made a "CAP" mistake and some wondered if it was a football mistake. To be a mistake, he would have had to been playing better than a pro bowler and a very steady Welbourn. That would amount to playing great in my book.

My post was not addressed to you Dutch.
                    Pedro

Comment

HE FAILED, not the IGGLES.....just like Chris Carter failed Buddy.
                      Pedro, you have a great post until this comparison. I can't see that the two situations are equal in any way.

Carter was a starter, a good WR that "only caught touchdowns" and went on to be HOF.

Williams was a back-up that didn't do much and is going on to have a decent, journeyman type career.

Can you clarify?
                      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                      X