observations from Eagles-Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observations from Eagles-Panthers

I waited a day to do this as I was really pissed yesterday. Quite frankly I am still am. The more I read the more I realize just how many media types really don't know football. Its quite funny honestly.

1. Blame for the loss. I would put it 75% on the defense and mostly on Jim Schwartz. Worst breakdown at home since 1985 in the 4th quarter. That can't be overlooked. It can't be overlooked that 2 now in the last 4 games they have let multiple TD leads go. 15% Doug Pederson, the head coach has to take the blame for these meltdowns. Some are killing him for not running the ball, I am not because the Eagles couldn't run the ball all game, they averaged 2.4 ypc. The pass was somewhat working. Why not use the pass as an extension of the run. The only thing I would have done is throw the ball further down the field, the Panthers were playing 8 in the box and man coverage most of the 4th quarter. Block it up and shoot it in the 15-20 yard range. 5% Jake Elliot, I know it was windy but there is no excuse to miss that 36-yard field. On a windy day dominated by defense, you have to hit those. 5% on Carson Wentz, look the guy had a great game, it came down to three plays at the end. Not throwing it to Smallwood, I am not sure he saw him and even if he did, Smallwood has proven to drop the ball too much. I don't think Wentz trusts him so thus at crunch time that ball is only going to Ertz or Jeffrey. This is something Wentz will need to learn going forward. Let's not forget he is still a young QB in this league.

2. Dallas Goedert had a really good game, not only catching the ball but his blocking is really good. I am excited to see this guy develop.

3. Alshon made some sick catches in this game. He is truly showing he is a number 1 wideout.

4. Nice to see Josh Adams get a few carries. We have serious issues at RB right now, Smallwood is not the answer and Clement looks like his injury has slowed him. We need somebody to step up as its killing the offense right now.

5. I thought the officiating was terrible yesterday. Not for the number of flags but their failure to keep the game under control. Eric Reid was an absolute asshole on the field and he was trying to hurt people. He should have been thrown out of the game. The hit on Wentz 5 steps after he handed off the ball was borderline assault. The thing is the ref didn't throw a flag on him for that and it should have been, it was for Ertz piece. He was taking late cheap shots most of the game. I do hope the Eagles send this to the league office and they react, Nobody is above the game and Ried acted like he was yesterday. Aside from that the holding call on Brandon Brooks was absolute bullshit. Cost the Eagles a huge play. The problem I have is they didn't call it the same way for the Panthers.

6. The Eagles defensive issues are scheme related. We talk about Mills slipping and giving up the big play to Smith. But that wasn't the issue in my mind. Its how is Smith allowed to run a deep in at on a 4th in 10 for 12 yards without being touch at the line of scrimmage. Schwartz's scheme is the issue. The corners have to read and react and that just doesn't work, that is why they get killed on double moves. Both of these corners are good press man corners. Have them press man zone read is not working. Btw if they press man they may get more sacks too. How many times have we seen QB's this year get the ball off in under 2.5 seconds just at they are being hit because the receivers are running free?

7. The defense is not producing any turnovers. This is really troubling. They are not flipping the field position. Sure they are not giving up a ton of points but they are not doing the things that winning teams need to do. Just think if Darby catches that INT. Its a nice win sealed by the defense. If they are not producing turnonvers with the way they are playing defense we are not winning many more games this year.

8. Time to give Michael Bennett some props. He is playing really well. He should have 6 sacks on the season (those RPasser penalties were BS).

Overall this team is void of weapons on offense (aside from Wentz, Jeffrey and Ertz) and are poorly coached on defense. The defensive coordinator is not playing to his player's strengths. Doug has his hands full sorting this out. I think Howie has to step in and get Doug a legit RB and possibly another outside WR which will allow Ahgolor to go back to the slot where he belongs. That is going to be hard to do during the season. So maybe we all we got is the right thing for this year.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Jake would last 5 minutes on the open market taz. Where do live? If you live on the east coast you were getting blown over yesterday. Justin Tucker, the best friekin kicker in football history missed his first extra point to tie the game and send it into overtime after making 223 straight! You heard me right. Those wind wind gusts were brutal and were blowing people over for crying out loud. Was the miss huge? Sure it was. I didn't think that he had much of a chance of making it going into that wind before he kicked it. It was a damned solid kick that got caught up in that shit and it sucks.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-pat-223-tries
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      Jake would last 5 minutes on the open market taz. Where do live? If you live on the east coast you were getting blown over yesterday. Justin Tucker, the best friekin kicker in football history missed his first extra point to tie the game and send it into overtime after making 223 straight! You heard me right. Those wind wind gusts were brutal and were blowing people over for crying out loud. Was the miss huge? Sure it was. I didn't think that he had much of a chance of making it going into that wind before he kicked it. It was a damned solid kick that got caught up in that shit and it sucks.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-pat-223-tries
      David Akers used to kick with those winds all the time. He got out there early figured them out. He always said that the stadium has issues down that end. He figured it out. That has always been a problem at that end of the stadium. Not saying it wasn't a difficult kick but it has to be made period.

BTW Jake is only hitting on 73% of his field goals this year. That is not good. Oh and he kicked a harder one from 46 at that same end zone later in the game.

Comment

Losing McLeod and probably Jones hurt us yesterday in the defensive backfield too. Not having Ajayi to bang on those 8 man fronts might have helped the run game. How about having Sproles to break something? Injuries are just killing this team.

I think that the defense just got exhausted in the 4th quarter. SuperAss also had his best half in about 5 years too. He had one play in a crucial situation where he got absolutely crushed and still completed a pass for a first down.

Jeffries and Ertz were amazing yesterday, especially in the first half. I don't know, maybe it was just a great game and we lost it. Fuck!!!

Comment

At the time I said Carson doesn't trust everyone and sometimes wants to force it to Ertz or Jeffrey. I understand that tendency but he needs to have confidence in everyone. I'd add in that he trusts Aggie but that isn't there so much lately. I really feel he has certainly has some trust just not the same level as he does with the other two.
          Have to agree that Jeffrey makes some outstanding catches and is legit. I was also glad to see Adams and would like to see him get more time if his blocking is up to it. And yes the team is losing the field position battle
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            David Akers used to kick with those winds all the time. He got out there early figured them out. He always said that the stadium has issues down that end. He figured it out. That has always been a problem at that end of the stadium. Not saying it wasn't a difficult kick but it has to be made period.

BTW Jake is only hitting on 73% of his field goals this year. That is not good. Oh and he kicked a harder one from 46 at that same end zone later in the game.
            Sorry Taz, I watched Tucker miss a pat..... first time in 223 tries.... and the wind just pulled wide. Jake gets a pass from me for yesterday.

Comment

I watched the game again and I keep coming away with Schwartz and his coverage's are just not working. At times its an individual player like Mills falling down on the Torey Smith catch. At times its the opposing offense knows what is coming and just calls plays around it. Where I am having the most problem is with the pressure. He is a one trick pony with if the front 4 don't get pressure there is none. You have to change things up and do things that you may not be comfortable with. Blitz more, play more man coverage and if you get beat deep you get beat deep. The death by a thousand knife wounds is literally killing all of us. When you get players who are consistently making the same mistake you have to bench them at least temporay. Mills played a good game and he fell down on the 4th and 10 and then missed the tackle. Darby bit on another double move. Sit them down for a series a game for the rest of their time with the Eagles but its time to let others play and see what they can do like Rasul Douglas.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                Sorry Taz, I watched Tucker miss a pat..... first time in 223 tries.... and the wind just pulled wide. Jake gets a pass from me for yesterday.
                What happens when it happens again. Kicking in this stadium you have to learn to kick with the winds, just a fact of life. That is my point. He has been shaky all year. Its not like its the first time he has kicked in this stadium in this wind.

I could give a rats ass about Justin Tucker, he doesn't play for my team.

Comment

What happens when it happens again. Kicking in this stadium you have to learn to kick with the winds, just a fact of life. That is my point. He has been shaky all year. Its not like its the first time he has kicked in this stadium in this wind.

I could give a rats ass about Justin Tucker, he doesn't play for my team.
                  Hey that is your opinion, BUT Tucker does have something to do with it as the same winds that affected him were in play in Philly-- and it isn't a matter of " learning " the winds--- not yesterdays winds anyhow, they swirled, they stopped at times and they came from all different directions at times, IMHO, you are being way to hard on Jake for yesterday.

Comment

Did you ever in your life consider that you could possibly be a tiny bit wrong about anything? Did you not see the ball get caught in a gust and move a good 25 ft to the right? Did you not see this same kicker make the biggest kick in franchise history to win us a Super Bowl? For this you want to cut a very good NFL kicker that about 10 teams are drooling to get. It was a bad break and got caught in a wind gust. Get over it.

Comment

Well I will agree he had a tough kick with the wind yesterday. But I have to also agree he isn't always money--there were a couple of question marks last year also. Don't recall his PAT numbers right now but I thought he had a few misses people were pissed about. Shorter kicks sometimes fluff him. Need to keep an eye on it.
                      As an aside Mason Crosby blew chunks for GB a couple of weeks ago (4 missed FG and a missed PAT). Next week (or maybe second week) he nailed a 50+ to win the game. Team kept faith with him. Of course he has been money for a long time.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

http://proxy.espn.com/nfl/statistics...t=fieldGoalPct

Well taz it's looks like I was wrong as Jake has missed 4 of them this year. Only 17 teams haven't missed an extra point this year and he's one of them so that's pretty good. 73% is really poor these days (hard to believe when you think of it) but the good kickers aren't simply good anymore, they're great. I guess that I just have a soft spot for him because of everything that he's done for us and was so damn clutch last year. Sorry Bud.

Comment

I blame Doug for not going for it on 4th down and settling for the FG on that second drive. The winds were crazy! I’m sure he blames himself too.
                          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            Did you ever in your life consider that you could possibly be a tiny bit wrong about anything?

We all have our opinions, especially when over the past 4 games we have witnessed two of the worst meltdowns a team can have. We have always been able to talk about them civilly, let's not turn this place into a bunch of personal attacks. That can destroy a great forum like this quicker than Elliot can miss a 36-yard field goal

Is Elliot completely the blame for the state of the team NOPE. I never said he was. He is part of the problem, as is the running game, the offensive line, the QB down the stretch, the entire defense, the coordinators etc.

Comment

We all have our opinions, especially when over the past 4 games we have witnessed two of the worst meltdowns a team can have. We have always been able to talk about them civilly, let's not turn this place into a bunch of personal attacks. That can destroy a great forum like this quicker than Elliot can miss a 36-yard field goal

Is Elliot completely the blame for the state of the team NOPE. I never said he was. He is part of the problem, as is the running game, the offensive line, the QB down the stretch, the entire defense, the coordinators etc.
                              Yup, we simply have to start scoring more points and create some turnovers. The season is far from over. An NFL season can turn around very quickly and we could be in first place in a couple of weeks. Jacksonville is in a meltdown right now with players and coaches screaming at each other. We have to take advantage of that in London this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X