Eagles announce changes in FO structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles announce changes in FO structure

This is good news I think. Would like tto know what facilitated it - if Chip threatened to leave orr iif this was intended with Gamble exit. Either way, CHip is staying.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...4-9c361f687675
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

I can live with this because I think Kelly values big athletes that can run. And that's what is required to win in this league.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Lurie Offers Explanation For Changes: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...3-ea7191834967

"Today, we made an important announcement and one upon which I would like to offer further perspective.

"In the normal process of evaluating the end of the season, I meet with key executives for thorough discussions and evaluations of all aspects of football operations. During those lengthy meetings this week, we discussed a comprehensive approach on how to seamlessly integrate the personnel and coaching departments in order to maximize every facet of the process.

"Working with Chip (Kelly), Howie (Roseman) and Don (Smolenski) we came up with what we believe will be a more thorough and thoughtful model that would best be overseen by Chip. It’s most important that we find players that match what our coaches are seeking.

"This new approach goes even further than we have in the past starting with Day One of the scouting process. This is part of an all-encompassing vision that takes you from the scouting process all the way to on-field performance.

"Howie, Chip and Don are all united in their desire to win. Together, we decided this approach was the best course of action for the Philadelphia Eagles.

"You have heard me say many times that I want strong leaders who feel free to express their opinions. And that is what happened here. Chip will now lead this process going forward with the continued full support of Howie, Don and myself.
      "Chip will not be doing this work by himself, obviously. He has been charged with recruiting and hiring a new personnel executive that will report directly to him and together we will move forward with this new, highly integrated approach.

"When I said – after the Giants game – that Howie was returning as general manager next season, I meant that. But after carefully listening and reflecting on the lengthy discussions that I had with our senior team, I changed my mind.

"I have a very good relationship with Chip that continues to grow stronger and stronger. When we spoke, he was thoughtful, thorough and professional. There were no demands, no threats - quite the contrary - he was passionate, engaged and articulated a dynamic and clear vision on how this fully integrated approach will work. We look forward to seeing it come to life over time.

"Let me also stress that Howie will continue to play a vital role in our operation. He has been elevated to the role of Executive Vice President of Football Operations and received a contract extension."

"In closing, we have looked hard at where we are today and what we want to become. We are all united in our desire to win for this city."

Comment

Dictatorchip
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

OK so taking this into account it had to be Gamble's decision to leave. Either he didn't want to work for Kelly or he wanted to be a GM and didn't like being passed over. The most likely scenerio appears to be that Kelly was going to get that role and Gamble wanted it so they decided to part ways to allow Kelly the control he wanted and Gamle the opportunity he sought. Some of you guys *cough*Eagle60!!*cough* owe Howie an appology!

Comment

Jimmy Johnson, Buddy Ryan, Bill Parcells, Bellicheat...am I missing any other coaches that were also good and realistic evaluators of NFL talent because the list seems to be short. As I said, I'm OK with it but this is an all in move.

Comment

I'm curious how this is any different than Andy's role during the Joe Banner years.

Comment

It's not. Remember....chip is an unmarried man with no kids. If there is anybody that can handle this its a guy with no ties to the world. Andy tried to do it an ruined his family.

Comment

I like this. This is definitely an all-in type move. Howie handles the nuts and bolts of the business side, and Chip gets A)the autonomy to build his own team and B) enough rope to hang himself.

Comment

This is the best case scenario. Roseman deals with legal negotiations (something Banner sucked at), Kelly gets to choose his personnel evaluator, and Kelly stays.

This is the way it should be- now go get some DBs and a QB.

Comment

Originally posted by FearTheDawk View Post
                      I like this. This is definitely an all-in type move. Howie handles the nuts and bolts of the business side, and Chip gets A)the autonomy to build his own team and B) enough rope to hang himself.

I see this similarly, but a little different. Basically, it seems to me that there was some head butting going on, and Lurie ended up taking the approach of, " ok, you think you can do a better job, go do it. All the glory, or all of the blame are yours."

Now, I will have a little fun......

Does this raise the possibility that Chip could decide to go all in for Mariotta?
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        This is good news I think. Would like tto know what facilitated it - if Chip threatened to leave orr iif this was intended with Gamble exit. Either way, CHip is staying.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...4-9c361f687675
                        I think what facilitated it was that the Eagles blew an opportunity in 2014. Any organization worth anything will self-evaluated and make changes when things aren't going as planned. Jeff Lurie is a very smart man. What these moves tell me is that Gamble was the fall guy for a lot of what went wrong in 2014, and that Lurie has complete trust in everything Chip Kelly does on the football field.

(Which is comical considering writers were beating the Jeff Luire is in love with Howie Roseman drum for the last 24 hours.)

Comment

Lurie:

"When I said – after the Giants game – that Howie was returning as general manager next season, I meant that. But after carefully listening and reflecting on the lengthy discussions that I had with our senior team, I changed my mind."

- So Howie will no longer be the GM.
                          - Chip will 'recruit and hire a new personnel executive that will report directly to him'. (this new hire will apparently not be the GM)

Question: Who is now the GM?

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This says nothing to the effect that Gamble left of his own accord - in fact to me it goes more toward he was fired. This info doesn't tell us at all if the org changes were made or talked about before or after he left. In fact Lurie says he chip Howie and don talked about the org structure which means they did it when Gamble was here but not included or after he left. It is different than Andy - Andy was exec in charge of everything not just personnel dept. To me this is more like a college coach--does his own recruiting/scouting and not money stuff.
                            I still think fans have no idea of the inner workings and flow with the bits of info that show up in the press. I live with this because it is where my birds are now. I think the coach should have some say in the personnel world but I really wouldn't want to see him gaining anymore control or power or oversight. I fully believe that hurt Andy and I think the coach has enough to do with players and game planning
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Seems to me:
                              1) Howie made a power move and got gamble fired.
                              2) chip countered that with an even bigger power move and got Howie demoted.

Now chip will hire the GM he wants.

Pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X