Howie said that he wants difference makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howie said that he wants difference makers

If that's true he's moving up to the top 14 not counting QBs. I doubt that we can do that but here's the consensus breakdown of the top players and how they fall into bunches that leaves the Eagles on the outside looking in at 25:

NFL Draft 2019: Where is cut-off point for ‘difference-makers’ in 1st round? Top-15? Top-20? Does Dwayne Haskins make the cut?
    Today 6:00 AM

The Plain Dealer
    Is Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins viewed as a 'difference maker' in this draft class?
    Comment

By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    The Eagles have held a long-standing belief for the NFL Draft that many others in league circles share.
    That is, once the draft gets past the Top-20 picks or so — it’s not the exact same number every year — the chances of picking a difference-maker drop off drastically.
    “We look back at a 15 year history of our drafts and there is a break-off on the talent level where you can get a difference maker in the first round,” said Howie Roseman, the Eagles’ executive vice president of football operations. “There are very few drafts where there’s 32 legitimate first round grades on guys ... As you go further along in the draft the opportunity changes to get a difference maker.”

More often than not, that’s why teams in the 20s either wind up trading up in the draft, or trading back to accumulate more draft picks.
    So, where is that ‘break-off’ point in 2019?
    NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah views it as a Top-15 or Top-16 ... and then everyone else.
    “I think that there’s 15 to 16 players that everybody in the league kind of agrees are the top guys, and then after that once you get to 17, 18, all the way to 50 or 60, they’re in all different order there,” Jeremiah said. “It creates a lot of uncertainty of what’s going to happen in the back half of the first round, which will be fun.”
    Let’s break it down into tiers and compile rankings, using general consensus of some of the top NFL Draft minds and their rankings. I used the rankings from Jeremiah, Rotoworld’s Josh Norris, Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller and the composite rankings from ESPN and The Draft Network.

NOTE: The rankings aren’t who I think are the best players as much as the general consensus of which players are viewed as the clear-cut “difference-makers”.

NFL Draft 2019: What if Eagles picked Marquise Brown, Josh Jacobs or Greedy Williams first? Mocking 9 scenarios, what they’d do next
    The Philadelphia Eagles are being tied to wide receiver Marquise Brown in several mock drafts.
    TIER I: Unanimous
    These players had the least variance in rank position, with the aforementioned rankers coming in unanimous agreement that these prospects qualify as what we’re calling “difference makers”.
    1. EDGE Nick Bosa, Ohio State
    2. DT Quinnen Williams, Alabama
    3. EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky
    4. DT Ed Oliver, Houston
    5. LB Devin White, LSU
    6. TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
    7. LB Devin Bush, Michigan
    TIER II: Near-Unanimous
    This group averaged out to be highly-rated, with some notable outliers. For example: The Draft Network has Kyler Murray at No. 27, while Rotoworld has him at No. 1. Still, this group earned the title of “difference-maker” for their cumulative ranking.
    8. QB Kyler Murray, Oklahoma
    9. DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson
    10. OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida
    11. EDGE Brian Burns, Florida State
    12. EDGE Rashan Gary, Michigan
    13. OL Jonah Williams, Alabama
    14. EDGE Montez Sweat, Mississippi State (Note: Friday, it was reported that Sweat’s heart condition has him off some team’s draft boards all together. Unclear how that impacts his general ranking.)

THE CUTOFF POINT

This feels like the “break-off point” where the consensus of who is a clear-cut “difference-maker” drops off, based on the composite of the rankings. There are a chunk of players who came close, though ...
    TIER III: On the cusp
    These are the players who have a case to be in the tier above, but fall just a little bit short. There’s at least one player in this group (Simmons) that would likely be in the difference-making group if not for his recent ACL injury.
    15. OT Andre Dillard, Washington State
    16. TE Noah Fant, Iowa
    17. DT Jeffery Simmons, Mississippi State
    18. RB Joshua Jacobs, Alabama
    19. WR D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss
    20. OL Garrett Bradbury, NC State
    TIER IV: On the outside looking in
    This is a group of players that, by general consensus, has a draft grade in the late-first round range. Some of the players rank highly on certain lists but poorly on others (namely, Dwayne Haskins).
    21. WR Marquise Brown, Oklahoma
    22. CB Byron Murphy, Washington
    23. QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State
    24. CB Greedy Williams, LSU
    25. OL Cody Ford, Oklahoma
    26. EDGE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson
    TIER V: Best of the rest
    - OL Chris Lindstrom, Boston College
    - S Chauncey Gardner-Jonhnson, Florida

- S Jonathan Abram, Mississippi State
    - S Nasir Adderley, Delaware
    - WR Hakeem Butler, Iowa State
    - WR A.J. Brown, Ole Miss
    - WR N’Keal Harry, Arizona State
    - TE Irv Smith, Alabama
    - DT Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame
    - DT Dexter Lawrence, Clemson
    - QB Drew Lock, Missouri
    - OL Dalton Risner, Kansas State
    Zack Rosenblatt may be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @ZackBlatt. Find NJ.com on Facebook.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 04-20-2019, 03:37 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

It is certainly a worthy discussion point which I feel is very debatable. I believe there are difference makers throughout the draft. Any scout worth his weight can tell you the top ten players, or top 15 in this case. To make money though I want a scout that can tell you that a guy is ranked in the high 30s but he is worth the 25th pick because he will be a difference maker.
    Measureables are easy but difference makers aren't all about measureables. That is where the Joe Douglas' of the world make their name
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      It is certainly a worthy discussion point which I feel is very debatable. I believe there are difference makers throughout the draft. Any scout worth his weight can tell you the top ten players, or top 15 in this case. To make money though I want a scout that can tell you that a guy is ranked in the high 30s but he is worth the 25th pick because he will be a difference maker.
      Measureables are easy but difference makers aren't all about measureables. That is where the Joe Douglas' of the world make their name
      I'll say and don't forget just plane luck. Just think if Miami decided to go with Lane Johnson instead of Dion Jordan. Chip would have taken the stiff and the Lombardi shelf in the Novacare complex would still be empty and my tagline would be 58 years and waiting!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
      X