My thought on Hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
    The day 3 picks really softened the blow of the first 2 rounds for me. And, I am starting to come around on the Hurts pick just a bit, provided Doug really thinks they can work on some of Hurts obvious shortcomings (deeper throws, slow recognition).

Hurts has stated many times that he sees himself as a QB and nothing else. So, I don't know how well he will take being used as a gadget player, if that is what it comes to.

It's a pick that really goes against the grain. I guess only time will tell if Howie and Doug are right.
    Sure he sees himself as a QB. He's also never seen himself on a bench. If they can find another way to get him on the field he'll embrace it.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Just going on a memory system that isn't what it used to be but Feeley was a 5th if I recall and that was turned into a second when they traded him. That is value. How many flashes is Hurts going to have to show for the birds to get more than a two for him.
      If I am not mistaken the birds said they drafted him to be a QB not a gadget player. He says he is a QB and doesn't want to do anything else. Not sure where the idea is coming from that he is the next great gadget player
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        Just going on a memory system that isn't what it used to be but Feeley was a 5th if I recall and that was turned into a second when they traded him. That is value. How many flashes is Hurts going to have to show for the birds to get more than a two for him.
        If I am not mistaken the birds said they drafted him to be a QB not a gadget player. He says he is a QB and doesn't want to do anything else. Not sure where the idea is coming from that he is the next great gadget player
        Let's hope he doesn't get the opportunity to prove himself for the next 4 years but that is very unlikely. He was drafted to be a great #2 QB. Wentz's chances of not missing time in the next 4 years is less than 1%. That's why they drafted him.

Comment

Logic brings on the idea. And I call him a football player not a gadget player.

Comment

That obviously comes from the comparison to Taysom Hill. How many NFL teams use a 2nd round pick on a backup QB when they have a franchise QB in the prime of his career, to which they just bestowed a massive contract? Best case scenario for Hurts as far as the Eagles is concerned, is for him to get on the field in a role similar to Hill, maybe expanded a bit. Yea, he's a football player, he's a QB, whatever. All I know is Wentz is the man, and the only way Hurts is playing QB is if Wentz gets hurt. With all the veteran guys around who are unsigned, a 2nd round pick is expensive insurance.

Comment

The more I think about my original premise I was probably grasping at straws. I guess its possible that if Wentz has another major injury he calls it quits. He certainly monetary is set for the rest of his life, but I probably said it wrong that he didn't want to have more money. Everyone does. Its just a risk reward thing. I was just so stunned by the pick, still am. BTW the pick not the player. Hurts is going to be a very good QB in this league.

Shefter premise that the Eagles took him because they are worried about Covid-19 infecting the QB room. I would say that is pretty far fetched to. I mean there are going to be players that get his, I suppose Carson or Nate are not immune to that but I would think that there would be enough precautions in place in order to start the season that this would be a very very small chance. Certainly not enough to burn a 2nd round pick on a QB.

Thinking back to that Seattle game. Not only did Carson get hurt by so did McCown. Remember he played most of the game on a torn hamstring. If they had a 3rd QB active I would have put him in. With the game day roster expanding I am wondering if they want to have 3 QB's active every week? Nate as the actual backup and Hurts will run a few gadget plays here and there and be the 3rd string guy. Again not a justification for a 2nd round pick being spent here, just trying to make sense of this. Beyond the we want a strong QB room.

Again on Hurts I think he is a really good player, I honestly think he is better than Love and Better than Herbert. He went in round 2 more because of size than anything. Yes he has some flaws that need to be fixed every QB does but overall all the player at 53 is not a reach. Its the pick for a team with a proven elite level QB who is 27 makes it suspect pick. I would think in two years when one of the two of these QB are traded to some desperate team and we get back a Sam Bradford or above haul we will look back and say not that we were wrong but that it wasn't as bad a pick as we think it is now
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

"With all the veteran guys around who are unsigned, a 2nd round pick is expensive insurance."

Exactly.

Comment

I get a second round pick is expensive from a draft perspective, but this is a back-up QB on the cheap for the next 4 years. Not a lot of guarantied money and far less than what back-ups are making. With a hard cap, the pick is expensive, but there is a lot of flexibility gained in signing known players with known abilities at the NFL level.

Comment

The bottom line is that they HAVE to use him as more than a back up QB or this will go down as one of the worst picks in team history. Losing out on a chance to take the top receiver in the draft and a guy many experts think has a chance to become one of the best players in the league during his career just so you can draft a back up QB is idiotic. If they really don't trust Suds then they have to grab another QB and I don't care about the cap hit it would take to sign one of the veterans that are available right now. Hell if you want a guy with similar skills Newton is still available - sorry 60 I don't mean to make your head explode. If they had doubts about Suds then why did they bother to bring him back at all?

If you read between the lines it seems that the Eagles MUST be thinking they can use Hurts as more than just a backup QB. If that turns out to be the case then a 2nd rounder may be fine for him. It really depends on what they do with him and how effective he is with the role they give him. Time will tell if they made a great move or a great blunder, but it's far too early top tell right now.
                    Last edited by Jukin; 04-28-2020, 10:11 AM.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'm hoping they have something up their sleeve. Like I mentioned, Press Taylor stated something to the effect of having 2 guys on the field who could throw the ball is something they'd like to explore. Hurts is a good athlete. He's a QB, but he can run the ball also, as well as throw. Last year the Ravens designed a unique offense, and basically destroyed people with it. I'm not saying the Eagles would go in that same direction exactly, but maybe they envision something innovative here, and they went out and got the player that they think can make it work.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here, cause I have a lot of doubt on this pick. Like Taz said, not the player, the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        The bottom line is that they HAVE to use him as more than a back up QB or this will go down as one of the worst picks in team history. Losing out on a chance to take the top receiver in the draft and a guy many experts think has a chance to become one of the best players in the league during his career just so you can draft a back up QB is idiotic. If they really don't trust Suds then I don't care about the cap hit it would take to sign one of the veteran QBs that are available right now. Hell if you want a guy with similar skills (sorry 60 I don't meant to make your head explode) Newton is still available. If they had doubts about Suds then why did they bother to bring him back at all?

If you read between the lines it seems that the Eagles MUST be thinking they can use Hurts as more than just a backup QB. If that turns out to be the case then a 2nd rounder may be fine for him. It really depends on what they do with him and how effective he is with the role they give him. Time will tell if they made a great move or a great blunder, but it's far too early top tell right now.
                        sorry, but Newton might have all the talent in the world, but he is not a leader of men and IMO is as dumb as a box of rocks. With the defense his team had for all those years, he should have a wall full of trophies
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

mm I want him as a back up player. I'm not bringing him in to be the team leader, that's Wentz's role and the stated reason they let Jenkins go was so there was a single leader and a single voice in the locker room. Newton may be as dumb as a box of rocks but he can throw and run and has a lot of experience and would have allowed us to grab Lamb. Again, whether this was a good move or not is yet to be seen but if they took him strictly as a backup they could have brought in someone like Newton for a year and drafted another QB in later rounds (maybe even Hurts if he went in rounds 3-4 as many sites predicted).
                          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

One other thing. Something the Eagles would never come out and say. What is their long term plan? Say in 2022 when they could trade a 29 year old Wentz see cap savings and get back a good haul of draft pick and roll with a 23yr old Hurts who has been in the system for two years?

Again not saying this will happen just thinking that something with their plans beyond this year.

I remember the days when the draft was not so much about the current season it was about year 2 and beyond That has changed a ton over the last 10 years when draft picks are coming in and not only contributing day one but are establishing themselves a stars almost instantly.
                            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I thought about that too, but I really think it is Hurts skill set that they desire.
                              With all the talent on this team, the new guys and the majority of the core are signed for the next 4 years. They are set up for a really nice run during that time. If something happens to Wentz, why depend on a backup with far less skills, when you have a guy who has all the skills Wentz has and won 90% of the games he's started ? A guy who can run and pass to move the chains and can win games instead of managing the game.
                              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

There's a reason that SuperAss is still on the market Juk. He wants to start. Do you really think that a guy with his ego is going to go someplace and sit on a bench?

Comment

Working...
                                X