Wentz has to improve ball security!-BGN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wentz has to improve ball security!-BGN

Just wanted to take this moment to remind you that Wentz completed 67.6% of his attempts for 1,199 yards (nice 6.9 average), seven touchdowns, zero interceptions, and a 100.8 passer rating in four must-win games for the Eagles down the stretch last year. And he did it while playing with a bunch of practice squad players. Hopefully Wentz’s hot streak can carry over. An improved supporting cast — in theory, at least — should help. But Wentz also has to help himself by not being so careless with the ball. The Eagles’ franchise quarterback had 16 fumbles in 16 games last year, which puts him at 48 fumbles in 56 career games played. That’s just too many. Wentz had nine fumbles in 13 games when he was lighting the league on fire in 2017. He’s probably never going to be one of the league’s best at protecting the ball but there needs to be some kind of improvement there.

"Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

He had zero fumbles the first 6 games last year -- all 16 came in the last 10 games. He had very few the second half of 2018 as well -- it sure looked like he had fixed that bugaboo. But then it came back with a vengeance. It's definitely something that must, must be fixed.

It looked like he was reverting some bad habits last year -- footwork was not as good at times. Unsure if this was because he was trying to do too much, make more plays, since a zero-yards play had a very real chance of killing a drive given the lack of offensive options. We can hope that having some decent options again on offense will open it up, and let him throw it away more knowing they can still get a first down later, etc.

But even given the scenario of trying to do more, he seemed more careless in the pocket with the ball -- not keeping two hands on it, etc. So some of it was just bad habits returning. But he has seemingly fixed it before, so maybe he can again.

Comment

Fairoaks to take a little further, of the 16 fumbles last year 11 of them came as he was in a throwing motion. Which is really hard for a QB to protect the football in that situation. So the fumble issues to me are mostly his but some of it is on the surrounding cast. The last 10 games he played with a cast that didn't include Jackson, Jeffrey and Agholor were in and out of the lineup. Not an excuse but the timing of plays just seemed slightly off, which would explain the strip while throwing the ball, that split second is the difference between 6-8 fumbles (still too many) and 16 fumbles.

It still amazes me what this team did down the stretch partially Wentz with have Joe from Fishtown and Fin from Chip Snappers Pub starting at WR. Losing your top 3 WR is tough to overcome in a rhythm offense.

I also will say I am not sure if we will be running the same offense next year, I think there will be wrinkles that will allow Wentz to get out of the pocket more and create more time to push the ball down the field without having to worry about the mess in the pocket. Just a hunch but these new guys they brought in are going to change this up enough that I think it will ultimately help the ball security issues that Wentz has.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
      X