• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds like the Birds want to move Douglas

Report: Eagles put Rasul Douglas on the trade block
    Not a shocking development.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Mar 21, 2020, 8:39pm EDT

The Philadelphia Eagles are “shopping” Rasul Douglas, according to a report from Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio.

This news doesn’t really come as a surprise. BGN has previously suggested on numerous occasions that Douglas could be on the trade block this offseason. From last month:

RASUL DOUGLAS — Cut or traded: $2.1 million saved ($176,572 dead money)

The Eagles won’t be cutting a 24-year-old corner to save a couple million in cap space. But a trade is something to keep in mind when it comes to Douglas. The 2017 third-round pick is entering the last year of his contract and it seems clear by now that the Eagles don’t view him as a long-term starter. They could value him as a backup, but do you really need a backup corner accounting for the 16th highest cap number on the roster? Especially when you don’t really believe in the guy as a long-term piece? And he doesn’t offer position versatility?

Perhaps the New York Jets (Joe Douglas connection) or Detroit Lions (Cory Undlin connection) come calling for Douglas. His opportunity to contribute for the Eagles figures to be limited with Philly’s rumored interest in free agent cornerbacks. The Eagles could also add a corner or two in the 2020 NFL Draft.

It remains to be seen whom the Eagles will start at cornerback opposite of Darius Slay but it’s clear it won’t be Douglas. His trade value probably isn’t much considering he’s failed to establish himself as a starter and he’s on the last year of his rookie contract. Still, getting a Day 3 pick could be worthwhile for the Eagles.

That the Eagles are shopping Douglas probably bodes well for Sidney Jones’ chances of remaining in Philly. There’s been speculation that the team could trade their 2017 second-round pick but they likely wouldn’t trade both Douglas AND Jones.

We’ll stay tuned to see if the Eagles can find a market for Douglas.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Don't know why they won't move him to safety...

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
      Don't know why they won't move him to safety...
      Yep, agree with that. Decent size and ball skills (Amari TD in OT notwithstanding). Too slow for CB, but may work at safety.
      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I'm also not sure why no look at safety but obviously Schwartz doesn't see that. Mills is that guy for Schwartz.
        Won't get much at all for Douglas but the little bit of cap savings must be worth a look
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

The coaches know more about him but I'd imagine he'd be decent in a hybrid safety/nickel LB role, though he may not have the size for it.

Comment

The guy never seemed afraid to stick his nose in there and tackle. Problem I saw was he whiffed a few times (more than the coaches' liking) and he can't run. I mean when he got burned you knew it was over.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
              The guy never seemed afraid to stick his nose in there and tackle. Problem I saw was he whiffed a few times (more than the coaches' liking) and he can't run. I mean when he got burned you knew it was over.
              But if he could keep the play in front of him, and then come up for the tackle as a safety, would he be serviceable? I'd like to see him get a shot there before turning the page on him. Of course, the team has a better view of his strengths/flaws and will have a better feel for it.

Comment

Working...
              X