X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say it ain't so JOE!!

Report: 'Everything' on table for NFL, including canceled season

Originally posted on Sportsnaut | By Jesse Reed | Last updated 3/29/20
    As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to ravage the United States, there is an increasing sense that the NFL season won’t proceed as normally scheduled.

There has already been some concern voiced by NFL coaches that the season may be delayed. Then on Sunday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk made it clear that “everything is on the table” looking ahead at the 2020 season, including no games being played at all.

Answering questions in a mailbag session, Florio addressed the elephant in the room.

“…yes, it’s possible that games will be played in empty stadiums. It’s possible that some teams won’t be able to play in their home markets. It’s possible that no games will be played at all.”

Florio also pontificated that another drastic solution could keep the season alive.

“Theoretically, it’s possible that the NFL will build in the middle of nowhere a corona-free campus where all players, coaches, trainers, doctors, broadcasters, officials, etc. would spend the entire season sequestered from the rest of the world, with games played on a series of fields from which the games would be televised, with no one else present. (I haven’t heard that this is a possibility, but it’s one that the league definitely should be considering.)”

The COVID-19 situation in the United States is very real, and it’s very dangerous. As of Sunday afternoon, Johns Hopkins University data showed that more than 137,000 Americans have tested positive for the coronavirus, and that over 2,400 have died from complications stemming from COVID-19.

Looking for more NFL news and rumors? Get the latest here.
    Sunday evening, speaking live from the Rose Garden at the White House, President Donald Trump announced that the CDC’s initial 15-day guidelines to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic — which includes no gatherings of 10 people or more — is being extended at least until the end of April. With that in mind, and considering how Dr. Anthony Fauci has stated he expects COVID-19 to circle the globe for the next 12-18 months, it’s reasonable to assume the NFL, and sports in general, may not be able to operate normally for some time.

This article first appeared on Sportsnaut and was syndicated with permission.

t
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

If I'm Howie, it might be wise to hold off on any more big contracts. Use all 8 draft picks this year and save the money for 2021.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

No way do they cancel the season. The NFL is a $16 Billion a year business that is run by some of the greediest motherfuckers alive. No matter what it takes, these guys will find a way to have a season so they can earn that almighty dollar.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I think bringing all the players to a remote location for training camp and playing the games at a few sites is a real possibility.

I agree with Juk. There is no way the NFL is going to pass up on all that TV money and neither are the players.

I could see an agreement for all the teams to be brought to a few central locations for training camp and then roll games out in secure locations.

You could isolate these guys pretty easily given enough time to plan.

Imagine holding indoor training camps in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin and then you bus the players around quarantined to play the games in front of no fans. But you stack the games back to back at each location.

So maybe in Houston on Saturday and Sunday you play 3 games a day... same in San Antonio, Dallas, and the Cotton bowl.

You don't have to worry about people complaining about preferential treatment for a location or stadium because there really is no local revenue generated except for the facilities that are being used to hold the game.

The stadiums don't need to be cleaned after games because there are no fans. The concessions stands don't need to be cleaned. The hotel rooms and facilities themselves would be an issue but by then the NFL could figure out a way to run its operations in a confined space.

Think about it..... that JW Marriott space in San Antonio could be virtually cut off from the outside world for 4-5 months and you play the season.

Now I will say I actually don't think it is going to come to that.

But what I do think is actually likely is that the NFL decides to play the games in front of no fans. Attendance is going to be an issue this year regardless.

The one benefit of this whole thing I really believe is ticket brokers are getting smoked right now. Thank goodness. I hate those guys.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

There are many billion dollar companies going under Juk. Just look at the airlines. You're right about those friekin owners too. I'll bet they're working on getting the dough from the government now as much as they are as planning for the season. Trump has a grudge against them though. We'll see.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Not saying the country will be open by Easter but the season is a long way off. Who knows how they may do it-- I heard today that teams are looking at video conferencing to work playbook type stuff. We all know that training camps are a hell of a lot less than they used to be so players hitting in camp doesn't seem near as important as it used to be. The season can open but have had the whole off season be condensed. The ones who it will hurt are the UDFA and bubble guys trying to make a roster. That can be massaged by increasing practice squad even more than the CBA talked about.
            I will wait to see what happens
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Working...
            X