Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Free could make sense for the Eagles

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ency#storyjump

Historically, the right side of the Eagles' offensive line has been the hammer. When (or rather, if) they ran the ball, more often than not, they ran it behind Jon Runyan and Shawn Andrews, and before Andrews, Jermane Mayberry. The left side's primary job was to keep Donovan McNabb off his back.

The landscape of the Eagles' OL has since changed. The hammer is now the left side, as Jason Peters and Todd Herremans both excel in the run game, and when the Eagles absolutely need to run the ball, they're running left. Look no further than the 4 minute, bleed-the-clock drive against the Cowboys in which Peters and Herremans physically dominated the Cowboys' D line and effectively sealed the win.

>CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR VIDEO<

Almost coincidentally (and I say "coincidentally" because the Eagles certainly didn't plan for this), the Eagles now have a left-handed QB in Michael Vick. However, in contrast to the Eagles teams of the aughts, the OL didn't do a good job protecting the QB's blind side last season. Both Winston Justice and Max Jean-Gilles are below average NFL starters, and while Mike McGlynn showed promise at times this season as the starting center, he also struggled at times. That's not the personnel you want to have protecting the blind side of your star player.

According to Jason La Canfora, the Dallas Cowboys are not expected to use the franchise tag on any of their players, which could be an enormous mistake. The Cowboys' best and most valuable offensive lineman by far, LT Doug Free, is set to become a free agent. Free isn't going to drive many NFL defensive linemen off the ball and open up holes in the run game, but he is very athletic, has extremely quick feet for a guy his size (6'6, 320), and excels in pass protection. Here's an example of Free's athleticism. Watch how quickly he gets downfield from his RT position and rides Sheldon Brown for literally 25 yards against the Eagles in the 2009 regular season finale:

>CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR VIDEO<

Although Free played LT this past season, he has experience playing the right side, and would be an absolutely perfect fit on the Eagles OL protecting Michael Vick's blindside, now that the responsibilities of the left and right sides of the line are sort of flipped. The Eagles could then look to shed Justice's contract (salary of $2.7 million in 2011) and deal him for whatever they can get (probably little more than a late-round pick).

The more fun aspect of signing Free though would be the devastating effect it would have on the Cowboys' offense. It's no secret that, on the whole, the Cowboys' OL was awful in 2010, as their poor play contributed to their surprise 6-10 season. RT Marc Colombo was dinged up early and had a wretched season. He may be done in Dallas. Ditto that for Leonard Davis, who was benched at one point during 2010. LG Kyle Kosier battled injuries for most of 2010 and also had a down year. C Andre Gurode made the Pro Bowl again, but mainly because center is an extraordinarily weak position across the entire NFC. Hell, Shaun O'Hara of the Giants made the Pro Bowl at center despite missing half the season and playing poorly when he was actually able to go. And oh by the way, Gurode will be 32 in March, and the other 3 above-mentioned Cowboys offensive linemen will be 33 by the end of the 2012 season. As it is, the Cowboys will already have to work a minor miracle to fix their OL as it currently stands. Losing their best and only young offensive lineman (Free just turned 27 in January) would be an absolute disaster.

Jerry Jones probably should tag Free, and he still has some time to change his mind, but even if he doesn't, I'd have to imagine that re-signing Free will be a top priority for Jones. There's also a possibility that the new CBA will force Free to be a restricted free agent, which will basically keep him in Dallas. Whatever the case, Jerry Jones is rolling the dice bigtime by not tagging him... right now. If Free should become... you know... free, he'd be my #2 free agent target behind Nnamdi Asomugha.

Disclaimer - I swear I'm normally not an "Oh my God, we have to sign this player, and that player, and that player" type of guy. But there are just so many intriguing names out there this offseason that fit the Eagles' needs so perfectly, and they have the money to spend. It'll be a major disappointment if the new CBA isn't done soon and the Eagles don't have the chance to add serious talent to their roster.

Doug Free sucks, and he is NOT the "Cowboys' best and most valuable offensive lineman by far."
    Andre Gurode is a perennial All Pro, because he deserves to be, and Mark Columbo is a better player than Doug Free - even if he does play the right side. I think I'd rather stick with Justice, than have Free. Better yet, we should draft an OT in the first round and forget about players like Doug Free.

The Cowboys OL is probably just as bad as (if not worse than) ours. Why the hell would we want their rejects?
    Last edited by stocknowledge; 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Once again I find myself agreeing with Stock (bad habit to get into) on Free. This guy sucks bigtime and can't even handle Justice's jock. Why in the hell would we have any interest in this turd. Here again, I gotta think it's RG or RT in RD #1 on April 28th.
      Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

One thing is for sure, we have a guy on staff(Mudd) who will be able to size up a potential OLman. Between him, Reid and Castillo, you'd think we could pick a good tackle out of a lineup, huh?
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Note to self: Never read anything written by Jimmy K.
          Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

I'd rather have his older brother Lloyd (World B.) Free b/c he is a better run blocker. The passing part of the offense may admittedly be a challenge for Lloyd, if the past is any indication.
            Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
            Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I would rather go after Calbo, Bushrod or Colon. I dont' think Free Sucks balls as some of you say, he only gave up 5 sacks last year playing out of position at left tackle. However there are better options.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...erious-answers

The Cowboys knew once the lockout ended they would need to re-sign Free, but I am sure they never anticipated the Eagles would be their chief rival in securing Free's services. It was a hard-fought battle to get Free back, as the Eagles wanted him badly to play him at their right tackle spot. The Cowboys' offensive line would have taken a huge step backwards had they not secured Free.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...erious-answers

The Cowboys knew once the lockout ended they would need to re-sign Free, but I am sure they never anticipated the Eagles would be their chief rival in securing Free's services. It was a hard-fought battle to get Free back, as the Eagles wanted him badly to play him at their right tackle spot. The Cowboys' offensive line would have taken a huge step backwards had they not secured Free.

Comment

It appears the Eagles went hard after Doug Free
                    Aug 7th, 2011 by Jimmy Kempski.

Per Michael Lombardi of NFL.com, the Eagles were the Cowboys’ “chief rival” for Doug Free:
                    The Cowboys knew once the lockout ended they would need to re-sign Free, but I am sure they never anticipated the Eagles would be their chief rival in securing Free’s services. It was a hard-fought battle to get Free back, as the Eagles wanted him badly to play him at their right tackle spot. The Cowboys’ offensive line would have taken a huge step backwards had they not secured Free.
                    Back in February, I had Doug Free earmarked as a player that the Eagles should make a serious run at, as it would be a perfect fit for them at right tackle, with the added bonus that it would all but cripple a division rival. Joe Banner had made reference that there was one player they had targeted that they didn’t get. It appears that guy was Free. Free ultimately signed with Dallas for a figure that I found surprisingly low – 4 years, $32 million. Three interesting questions in the wake of Lombardi’s report:

- Did Free turn down more money from Philly to play in Dallas?

- Did the Eagles drive up the price on Free, thus perhaps unwittingly hurting the Cowboys’ chances of landing Nnamdi Asomugha?

- What do the Eagles think of Winston Justice?

Interesting revelation.

Comment

Working...
                    X