Rocca & Eagles being sued for ball Rocca punted into stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocca & Eagles being sued for ball Rocca punted into stands

My first reaction to this was to laugh out loud. But now it just pisses me off. This is dumb. How freaking hard did the guy throw the ball to break her freaking wrist? What was she, made of glass?

Woman claims injury after Rocca's NFL kick
    Peter Mitchell
    August 5, 2011 - 9:59AM

Sav Rocca is in legal hot water in the US and it has nothing to do with the former AFL star's work visa problems.

A woman has filed a lawsuit against Rocca and his former NFL team, the Philadelphia Eagles, claiming she suffered "severe, diverse and permanent injuries" after Rocca kicked a ball into the stands during a fan appreciation night at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field on August 2, 2009.

The lawsuit claims Rocca directed a fan to throw the ball back to him, but the fan's throw "missed, causing the football to directly strike" Debra A Campana who was sitting in, or about, the third row from the field.

Campana suffered a left forearm and wrist displaced fracture, other injuries and "severe physical pain, mental anguish and humiliation", the lawsuit claims.

Campana's lawyer alleges the Eagles were careless, reckless and negligent and failed to have procedures and personnel in place to return footballs retrieved from the stands.

Rocca, who was signed by the Washington Redskins last week, was a punter on the Philadelphia Eagles between 2007 and 2010.

Campana is seeking "in excess" of $US75,000 ($A71,976.97).

Rocca, the Philadelphia Eagles and The Eagles Charitable Foundation are named as defendants in the lawsuit.

Rocca was expected to join his Redskins teammates this week in Virginia for pre-season training, but has been stranded in Australia unable to secure a US work visa.

Redskins special teams coach Danny Smith said on Thursday Rocca had sent a message to the team saying he expects to have his visa and be in the US by Saturday night.

The Redskins' first pre-season game is against the Pittsburgh Steelers on August 12.
    Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM.

Thats a flat out joke....this is why businesses continue to call out for rational tort reform
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I think I would have suffered "severe physical pain, mental anguish and humiliation" just knowing my name was attached to such a BS lawsuit.

Comment

I don't know how much merit it has, but I do know that it's tough to fake a fractured wrist.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by FearTheDawk View Post
          I think I would have suffered "severe physical pain, mental anguish and humiliation" just knowing my name was attached to such a BS lawsuit.
          That's because you have something called dignity which this woman clearly does not.

Comment

Well, personally, I feel that Sav Rocca should be deported for this and never allowed back in the United States. I know that is a tough policy, but that is me.
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              I don't know how much merit it has, but I do know that it's tough to fake a fractured wrist.
              True. But how is that Sav Rocca's fault? (Well, aside from the joke that he's the one who shanked it into the stands in the first place.)

It would be like if I went to a baseball game and broke my nose when a ball came into the stands, and then sued the batter for hitting at me, and sued the Phillies for using such hard baseballs.

Comment

Is there evidence it was broken by a fan?

Or did she break it elsewhere?

Comment

That was my first thought, she probably slipped on the driveway when she got home.

Comment

First of all the bitch is suing the Eagles charity!! How can she sleep at night knowing she's taking monet from sick kids? Secondly they name the defendants in the case but the guy who actually inflicted the injury isn't being sued? Sounds like the injury was an after thought when she realized there was a chance for a money grab. Screw her. If this turns out to be bogus the defendants should be allowed to inflict the damages she claimed in her suit!!
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                      True. But how is that Sav Rocca's fault? (Well, aside from the joke that he's the one who shanked it into the stands in the first place.)

It would be like if I went to a baseball game and broke my nose when a ball came into the stands, and then sued the batter for hitting at me, and sued the Phillies for using such hard baseballs.
                      Oh, I think it's BS too Chris. I know that during games it's illegal to punt the ball into the stands. I think it's illegal for a player to throw it into the stands too. No penalty, but the league fines you. It's a rule so that people don't get hurt fighting for the ball. That's why they have those big nets behind the goal posts. Unfortunately, I think the case does have merit.

Comment

It was during fan appreciation night, not a game....he kicked it into the stands to give something nice to the fans. Suing him and the Eagles for doing that is ludicrous.
                        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                          It was during fan appreciation night, not a game....he kicked it into the stands to give something nice to the fans. Suing him and the Eagles for doing that is ludicrous.
                          You know that, I know that, but the courts probably won't see it that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X