Observations from yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from yesterdays game

A typical NFC East game where a 2-11 team gives an 11-2 team everything they have but in the end makes too many mistakes to win.

1. I thought Foles played pretty well. He missed some throws but that is to be expected he hasn't started in a year and hasn't played with these receivers (except for the Tight Ends). He needs to stop double pumping and just air it out, some of that is the familiarity with his receivers. He has to trust them. How can argue with 4 TD passes though.

2. Bringing back Bryan Brayman payed dividends quickly. He was in on both the punt block and the extra point block and I think it was him that the line shifted to that opened up Jenkins for the field goal block.

3. Whoo Nellie, excellent game from him. He had a bad drop but the difference between this year and last, they came back to him and he made a nice secure catch.

4. Alshon Jeffrey is playing like a number 1 wide out. Yes he had another TD, but he is making plays all over the field and he is drawing the double teams that is allowing the others to get theres.

5. Jim Schwartz was out coached big time in this game. Now I can't blame him for the missed tackles but every move he made Eli has an answer for. Just seems like some QB's and some teams always have a particular coaches number. The Giants have Schwartz number. Interesting enough we are 3-1 against them with Schwartz as the D coordinator but those wins haven't been pretty.

6. Ronald Darby had an up and down game, bit several times on double moves, but then made a great play on the INT and also had a good pass breakup later in the game. Got flagged for two ticky tacky calls that really could have been called every time the Giants had the ball.

7. The Giants were gifted 10 points in this game by the officials. This is becoming a theme. I find it rare when a broadcast points out just how much officials miss, but that pick play was so obvious it cost us 7 points. I thought the off sides on the punt team could have went either way, they moved almost at the same time, that almost always goes against the offense. One holding call all game against the Giants o line (one of the worst in football)but yet time after time you could see the holding. There spots on the football seemed off (for both teams BTW). The Eagles defense didn't play well but its magnified when the guys in the stripes are not on their game.

8. Bradham's penalty was a joke, I know the second guy usually gets the flag but there was nothing more than happens a lot in this game. That led to a bigger fight later. The Officials lost control of this game. How do they not throw a flag on the Giants receiver there for holding Jenkins and then throwing him to the ground after the play?

9. More Ayaji and Clement less Blount please, he has slowed down considerably.

10. Finally kudo's to the fans who invaded Giants stadium and gave us the home field advantage late in the game. When was the last time an offensive lineman jumped offsides because of noise in his own stadiuam. The Fans are going to will this team deep into the playoffs and maybe even the Super Bowl.

Overall three straight games on the road two on the West Coast followed up by a road game against a division rival. We come out of 2-1 despite losing our QB. Can't beat that. Best record in football. Can't beat that.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Agholor is not only making catches he is making tough catches. He has his misses but every receiver does. Same with Jeffrey, he misses some and his numbers aren't gaudy but he makes catches and makes tough catches.
    Foles missed a couple but he is knocking off rust and I'm not sure anyone was expecting him to be Aaron Rogers anyway. Foles is a good QB not a star. Lucky to have him there as backup.
    Blunt has been that the whole year. He gets yards when there is a nice hole--so does every RB.
    DBs have played better this year than people expected but they still are the same guys that started the year---okay but nothing special. I expect Douglas next year and look forward to seeing what Jones brings. I expect Mills to be gone after his contract since I think he will want big money. But Mills has talent just not sure it is star talent. And someone will compete for an upgrade at safety
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I think the DB situation will continue to be fluid some. Mills may move to safety. As I think about it that may not be a bad thing. Both Jenkins and McCloud have had their moments this year of shining but also a fair share of not playing well. They both are making good money. Would not be surprised if one of them is gone this offseason to clear cap space and one of the corners moves into their role.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

1. Foles was very good! Offense moved the ball put up the points!
        2. Doug please I am begging you! save my ticker and RUN THE FREAKIN BALL! Damn why are throwing so much? And when you do please with Ajayi and Clement. Save Blount for January against Saints or Panthers or Rams or Vikings! Ajayi and Clement are moving the chains!
        3. Nelson#13 I salute you sir! I don't even lose my mind anymore with the occasional drop because you have shown you will come back and make plays.
        4. Alshon continue battling those double teams and making plays!
        5. TEs are great!
        6. Torrey Smith you are a wonderful human being! But please return that jersey to Mike Quick!
        7. Defense????????? Somebody named King is beating you badly! This ain't the 1980 Super Bowl! Get your act together! Poor tackling biting on double moves. Please return to sound football
        8. I will take the win especially against those bums in NY!
        9. Thanks to all the fans to took ANOTHER stadium! Four division road games and the fans showed up at all of them!
        10. Now pummel the Raiders Christmas night so we can all get rest easy!

Comment

Ajayi looks like he's being phased in more each week. I think he's a much better power back than Blount anyway. The way Barner plays it makes you wonder why they ever let him go in the first place.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

we really need to upgrade Linebacker, OLine, dual threat HB, punter in the off season

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
              we really need to upgrade Linebacker, OLine, dual threat HB, punter in the off season
              Where the hell would we be without Bradham??? And it looks like he's gone next year. That's going to be a huge problem.

Comment

Couple of thoughts---

I think Blount is not being given credit for some of what he does do.. he saves legs, he helps wear down Defenses, and he will get the tough yard if given a bit of help. Has experience, holds onto the ball .... I think of him almost as a small FB. Just think he serves a nice purpose. Having a fresher Ajayi and Clement and Blount will be a nice factor in the post season.

Poor tackling is just a mental thing, they have proven before that they can tackle, you just do not lose that talent, but it does ebb and flow week to week. they need to become much more consistent, for the big games.

Foles was fine to very good-- differences are that his balls "seem" to travel slower, and I think he actually throws a better deep ball than Wentz does sometimes. Little more air and less laser like.

O line is doing a pretty good job in pass Pro, but the holes upfront are very slim.

DB's need to really tighten up, again they have shown they can do it, just seems to be a mental thing.

Much of this could just stem from the mental relief of knowing that they are going to the playoffs this year already.

Comment

I think the team looked tired yesterday. The stress of the trip and losing Wentz added up and affected the defense. Our December defense has been spiraling downward at the wrong time of the year. We may have peaked too soon but hopefully we just need some rest. Oakland got eliminated yesterday so maybe the game this week will be a laydown. We could use one.

Comment

I agree yesterday looked like a day where they were not all there mentally. The Rams can put up points. Of their 35 seven came on a very short field and 7 off a blocked punt return. Holding them to 3 scoring drives of length is pretty good. 3 road games in a row, with the last being against a division rival who is having a shitty season. Our games with the Giants always seem to be a battle. I’ll reserve the firing squad until we see how this weekend plays out. I believe the D will be much better. On the bright side Nick looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      I think the team looked tired yesterday. The stress of the trip and losing Wentz added up and affected the defense. Our December defense has been spiraling downward at the wrong time of the year. We may have peaked too soon but hopefully we just need some rest. Oakland got eliminated yesterday so maybe the game this week will be a laydown. We could use one.
                      One thing is for certain, this team wants the home field especially after spending a month away. They appreciate it even more. So I'm not worried about this team closing out the season.

My biggest question is if the defense didn't execute or did Schwartz make a lot of bad coverage calls?

Comment

Working...
                      X