X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see TE as a need going into the draft

Eagles TE Billy Brown ready to take next step in his 2nd year

By: Turron Davenport | April 12, 2018 12:14 pm ET

Billy Brown was faced with a double challenge last year. In addition to the adjustments of entering the NFL from Division II Shepherd, the former wide receiver had to convert to tight end.

Five second-year players who need to step up for the Eagles in 2018
    At Shepherd, Brown posted the most receptions (249), receiving yards (4,071) and receiving touchdowns (43) in school history. As a senior in 2016, Brown led all of Division II with 99 receptions while finishing second nationally with 1,580 yards and 22 TDs.

Brown signed with the Eagles as an undrafted free agent following the 2017 NFL Draft. During training camp, he was one of the most consistent pass catchers on the team.

It seemed like the ball never hit the ground when it came Brown’s way. He shone enough during training camp to get a spot on the practice squad.

(Photo by John Jones/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

In his second year, Brown looks to take advantage of an opportunity to make the 53-man roster and challenge for playing time while applying lessons he picked up last season behind Zach Ertz, Brent Celek and Trey Burton.

“There was so much learning. Ertz, Celek, Burton … they are all three different types of tight ends,” Brown said in a phone interview with Eagles Wire. “They each have their strengths. I just tried to pick up little parts of their game as best as I could,”

As a former receiver, Brown had to make the transition from blocking defensive backs to blocking linebackers and defensive ends. Brown said he closely watched the technique of Celek, known as an excellent blocker.

He’s much better off now than he was last year thanks to Celek and tight end coach Justin Peelle.

“I learned a lot because coming in from college playing wide receiver I didn’t have any idea on a lot of things tight ends do,” Brown said.

“I just watched and listened to Celek and Coach Peelle. I learned little techniques like angles and placement when to block and stuff like that. That plays a key factor in becoming a good blocker.”

He credited Ertz for how he runs his routes, especially when he is getting in and out of his breaks. The thing that stood out the most to Brown about Ertz was how he used leverage in his routes to create separation.

That’s something that Brown did when he was a receiver in college. Seeing Ertz do the same thing in the NFL as a tight end should give Brown confidence.

“I feel like I have adjusted pretty well. Playing receiver in college at my size, I ran a lot of routes where I would lean towards the defender and speed up when the ball comes up,” Brown said.

Burton, meanwhile, showed Brown how he can make himself a valuable player by filling multiple roster spots.

“Trey, he’s a mixture of everything. He can do it all. So watching him, I just learned so much from him too,” Brown said.

Like Burton, Brown was an undrafted free agent who developed on the practice squad. Although Brown didn’t play multiple positions in college like Burton did, he is working this offseason to mold himself into a versatile player.

“Right now, I don’t know if they will make me fill Trey Burton’s role or be a blocker. I am just trying to keep my body in the middle stages,” Brown said. “I don’t want to get too big and not be as good of a pass catcher, but I don’t want to get too small and not be as good of a blocker.”

Brown stayed in the Philadelphia area and has worked out on his own. At Shepherd, resources weren’t abundant. He likes being able to go to the facility and have everything he needs right there.

With the release of Celek and the departure of Burton in free agency, Brown should get more looks in OTAs and training camp. The addition of free agent tight end Richard Rodgers should create competition, which is exactly what the Eagles want.

Brown is younger and is under contract for two more years at a much lower rate. When asked about the tight end position at the owners meetings last month, coach Doug Pederson was quick to mention Brown as a player to watch.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Why? Because of this piece?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      Why? Because of this piece?
      Yeah! Brown did a darned good job last TC and was only cut because the Eagles had 3 quality TEs. He will certainly be a decent 3rd TE. Richards is a nice pickup from Green Bay that surprised a lot of people that he was even available and of course we have Ertz. I see NO reason why TE should be a priority like some people have suggested. We have enough depth at every position on the team that I think we should go BPA and that there certainly no urgency to go after a TE. If we draft one at some point fine but we sure don't have to chase one and that's the reason that I posted this article. I've expressed my feelings on him before.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm not sure it is a priority but the off season moves just put TE into the same light as many other positions---best player available. They're full at TE with five on the roster but only Ertz is a sure thing. So drafting a guy isn't out of the realm of possibility.
        Rogers is a vet so he probably has a step up on the roster. However there are three youngsters with no NFL experience. They are all big kids but they will have to prove in TC which of the three learned the most this year. At the same time any could be cut before training camp if a top flight guy drops in the draft.
        My guess is they have Ertz under contract for awhile so they skip TE this year and try to find the next Trey Burton from the three young guys
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Working...
        X