Horrrible news on Sproles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrrible news on Sproles

Darren Sproles Injury: Eagles running back also reportedly suffered a torn ACL

Darren Sproles didn’t just suffer a broken arm on Sunday. The veteran running back also tore his ACL during the Eagles’ win over the New York Giants, according to a report from NFL insider Adam Schefter.

This is just awful news.

Sproles is now done for the season. The 34-year-old’s career might be over as well. Sproles, who is set to be a free agent after this year, previously said 2017 was going to be his last season, although he kind of left the door open. Maybe he’ll try to come back because this would be a terrible way to go out. But who knows for sure.

It goes without saying that this is a huge loss for the Eagles. Sproles is Philadelphia’s best running back. He’s a weapon in the passing game. He’s still one of the best and most dangerous punt returners in the league. And that’s just what he can do on the field. He’s an incredibly well-respected player in the locker room. This is a really bad loss for the Eagles.

Sproles will likely be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list this week. The Eagles could look to call up practice squad running back Byron Marshall in his absence.

Prior to this year, Sproles had never missed more than three games in a single season. He averaged 15.3 games played per season in the 11 seasons before 2017.

Ugh. This just really sucks.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I was hoping that they could talk him out of retirement next year. But, if I was Sproles, I probably would find it pretty difficult to push hard to recover from this, knowing I was going to retire anyway. Really tough loss. Sproles has been a difference maker for us the last few seasons, especially in the return game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      I was hoping that they could talk him out of retirement next year. But, if I was Sproles, I probably would find it pretty difficult to push hard to recover from this, knowing I was going to retire anyway. Really tough loss. Sproles has been a difference maker for us the last few seasons, especially in the return game.
      I think he tries to come back for one more year.

Comment

Yea I hoped he might be back but I can easily see him calling it quits. I'd think twice before calling up Marshal. There may be another position that needs backfill. They still have Smallwood, Clement, and Blount
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          Yea I hoped he might be back but I can easily see him calling it quits. I'd think twice before calling up Marshal. There may be another position that needs backfill. They still have Smallwood, Clement, and Blount
          Who becomes the punt returner?

Comment

Working...
          X