Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me this doesn't get your juices flowing.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me this doesn't get your juices flowing.......

I can not wait to see this unit work this year..................
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sad-sack defensive line undergoes a makeover

By Marc Narducci

There may be some debate about which was the least productive group on the Eagles last season, but the defensive line surely would get plenty of votes.

In the 2004 season, when they went to the Super Bowl, the Eagles recorded 47 sacks. Last season, the total fell to 29. In the NFC, only San Francisco ( 28 ) and New Orleans (25) had fewer sacks.

The Eagles' line frequently gave opposing quarterbacks all day in the pocket to find a target, forcing defensive backs to stay with receivers longer. The Eagles allowed 11.81 yards per completion, putting them 13th in the 16-team NFC.

But that was last year, and the Eagles have revamped the line.

"If we're not the best front in the league, we're as good as the best front in the league," Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse said during this week's workouts at the NovaCare Complex. "We're as good as we want to be and we have a lot of young guys ready to go."

Although end N.D. Kalu signed as a free agent with Houston and run-stuffer Hollis Thomas was traded to New Orleans, the Eagles have added several key components, including free agent Darren Howard and first-round draft choice Brodrick Bunkley.

Howard is slated to start at end but also will move inside to tackle. Bunkley teams with last year's first-round choice, Mike Patterson, to give the Eagles two young, athletic tackles.

Jerome McDougle, who missed last year after being shot in the abdomen during a robbery in Florida, is back and adds depth to the end position.

"McDougle's tank is ready to be emptied this year," said Kearse, who has recorded 71/2 sacks in each of his two seasons as an Eagle. "He is working so hard, and whenever we go up in drills against each other, that dude is strong."

The key, however, will be Howard, who suffered an injury-plagued season in New Orleans, missing four games and recording just 31/2 sacks last year. The 29-year-old Howard twice has recorded 11 sacks and has 441/2 sacks in 81 career games.

The Eagles also are high on Trent Cole, who as an unheralded rookie had five sacks, although they came in a three-game stretch.

On third-down passing situations, don't be surprised to see Cole and Kearse at the end positions, with some combination of Patterson, Bunkley and Howard at the two tackle spots.

"They want to get Trent Cole on the field because he is 100 miles per hour all the time and is a fast, strong guy who can get to the quarterback and create a lot of havoc," Howard said.

Competition for playing time should be fierce, although defensive coordinator Jim Johnson traditionally has rotated his linemen to keep them fresh.

Among others in the mix are standby tackles Darwin Walker and Sam Rayburn, both of whom played through injuries last year; end Juqua Thomas; free-agent tackle Ed Jasper; second-year tackle Keyonta Marshall; and rookie tackle LaJuan Ramsey.

"In order to be competitive, you have to have a good, solid rotation," Walker said. "You have to have depth along the defensive line, and we have that depth."

Walker, who will turn 29 next week, appears to be the forgotten ingredient. He had 21/2 sacks in his first two games last year before missing the next three with a thigh bruise. When he returned, Walker wasn't the same and didn't record a sack.

Still, since 2002, he has 201/2 sacks, the fourth highest by a defensive tackle. And he says there is no doubt that the entire line can return to form.

Ooooh, so you want to get the juices flowing eh?....

Watch dis..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jifk98NS ... n%20mcnabb

Comment

Yeah, that will do it also........ is it August yet?

Comment

Re: Tell me this doesn't get your juices flowing.......

Not to nitpick, but the following two things kind of bothered me. So our big DE free agent acquisition is from one of the two NFC teams to record less sacks than us last year. (I know, I know, he was hurt).

And "We're as good as we want to be"? What in the hell does that mean? I know he didn't mean it the way it sounded, but man.

That beign said, I still think the d-line comes back strong this year.

Originally posted by MDFAN
        In the 2004 season, when they went to the Super Bowl, the Eagles recorded 47 sacks. Last season, the total fell to 29. In the NFC, only San Francisco ( 28 ) and New Orleans (25) had fewer sacks.

Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse said during this week's workouts at the NovaCare Complex. "We're as good as we want to be and we have a lot of young guys ready to go."

Comment

I think Howard had several issues last year,, in fact I do not beleive he was seriouly hurt at all, in fact I think he missed those 4 games in a dispute with the team.

Also, how good can you be mentally ready when you played on that team-- especially last year?

As for the statement, I read it to mean that they can be as good as they make themselves, that they will control how good they are, that there is no limit on how good the D can be this year. Just the way I read it.

Comment

This definitely has me psyched for the season, with visions of the old gang green defense that tossed QB's around and put the hurt to receivers, RB's, and OL's alike.

I believe that the Eagles of 06 have the potential and talent to be a pushing defense that will make it a challenge for opposing teams to move the ball.

I know, I know, this may be rushing things a bit here and maybe going a tad overboard, but since it just my wishful thoughts, no big deal. :P

Comment

I'm really psyched about this season and what the d-line can do.

That said, I'm still nervous that we didn't do enough to improve the tackles. I think Bunkley will be a stud. But I don't know if that will happen this year. Hopefully Patterson takes a big step forward, but I doubt we get anything different from Walker or Rayburn. If our tackles don't demand some attention and get some real push, I worry.

Comment

Oh, I think the defense will rebound, big time. They've been a consistently good unit ever since JJ's been here, and they got flat out abused last year. Getting Howard is huge. Adding Bunkley was huge. This could honestly be the best defensive line rotation that JJ's had.

Just keep your fingers crossed.

Heck, the whole team got a kick in the balls last year. They'll rebound. I think McFive is going to have a career year. McNabb is a very proud man. I think sometimes, his pride is such that he has difficulty letting things go. That crap with Owens hurt his pride I think, and judging from his current physiche, and mindset, there's going to be hell to pay.

Everything coming out of the team this year has been positive. No distractions, no disgruntled players, no media distractions. Nothing but good vibes. I don't think I've ever seen everything so positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                  Everything coming out of the team this year has been positive. No distractions, no disgruntled players, no media distractions. Nothing but good vibes. I don't think I've ever seen everything so positive.
                  Well, TO's book comes out soon. That should do some counter-balancing.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_eagle

That said, I'm still nervous that we didn't do enough to improve the tackles. I think Bunkley will be a stud. But I don't know if that will happen this year. Hopefully Patterson takes a big step forward, but I doubt we get anything different from Walker or Rayburn. If our tackles don't demand some attention and get some real push, I worry.
                    Don't (I do obviously) you feel that both Rayburn and Walker had sub par years due to injury or do you think it's just a lack of talent?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                      Originally posted by nyc_eagle

Don't (I do obviously) you feel that both Rayburn and Walker had sub par years due to injury or do you think it's just a lack of talent?
                      I want to believe that. I think Walker might have just had a bad year. Rayburn is what he is. Solid lunchpail type.

Comment

I think our DTs are also a bit smallish, especially with Hollis gone. I don't think he's a great loss, but he was at least a space eather.

Comment

nyc...

Rayburn has been here for 3 seasons.

2003: 9 tackles, 2 sacks in 10 games (Not sure why he missed time)

2004: 28 tackles, 6 sacks in 16 games

2005: 16 tackles, 1 sack in 16 games

The first year we had Simon, Walker, Hollis all ahead of him, but he may have been injured too. The 2nd year he got more time and produced well. Last year he struggled and was injured according to reports.

I think, if healthy which seems to be somewhat of a question, Rayburn can be close or better than 2004's production depending on how much time he earns. He needs to be more consistent.

As for Walker, he joined the Eagles in 2000, but did not really play consistently until 2002. Since then he has been pretty consistent until the last two years. Contract? Health?

2002: 33 tackles, 7.5 sacks in 16 games

2003: 42 tackles, 6 sacks in 16 games

2004 & 2005: 54 tackles, 7 sacks in 29 games (missed 3 games in 2005 and was dinged most of the year according to reports.) Walker needs to improve this year and get back on track IMO.
                          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I'm just going on gut here, VFK. Rayburn is a rotation guy, which is fine. Everybody needs that. Walker is a question mark. I don't know which season is the one we can expect.

If it has been health, that doesn't really offer me much comfort, truth be told.

But we are smallish on the tackles and they don't appear to push guys around. They have to beat guys to the quarterback. I'd like a DT that could push a guy back a few feet. Maybe Bunkley is that guy. But who knows what to expect?

Honestly, it might take a couple of games before I get some of the visions of last season out of my head. The line got no push and it felt like every blitz got picked up.

Comment

Working...
                            X