March Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Madness

Just like every year this tournament has been great!! Loyola-Chicago? That's why this is the most entertaining sporting event of the year.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I disagree. Super Bowl 52 was the event of a lifetime!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
      I disagree. Super Bowl 52 was the event of a lifetime!
      Of course it was but that's because we were in it-And WON!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        Just like every year this tournament has been great!! Loyola-Chicago? That's why this is the most entertaining sporting event of the year.
        I agree. But, I was a little put off by the selection committee changes that made it even more difficult for mid-majors to make the cut.

IMO, no team that has a losing conference record should get an at large bid (i.e. Alabama). There were some really good mid-majors, who are playing well now in the other tournaments, that should have received the bid instead.

Some people argue that the P5 conferences deserve it more because of their out of conference records. Well, one reason that they win so many times out of conference is because they refuse to play mid-majors on the road. Home court advantage is huge and winning on the road should be a bigger factor.

Case in point. For 4 years in a row now CUSA has pulled off first round upsets. They have had to do this from the 13,12,15 and 14 seeds. Those are tough games to win against the much higher seeds.

This year the #4 team in the conference, Marshall, upset the champ and ended up getting the automatic bid while the rest of the conference was left in the cold. Marshall won their first round NCAA game against a #4 seed. Middle Tennessee, the conference champ and last years sweet 16 was 25-8 and left in the cold. Middle Tennessee won their first round NIT game. Western Kentucky at 27-10 has just beaten USC and Oklahoma State in the NIT and is in the final 4. FWIW, even North Texas is in the CBI tourney championship game after annihilating their 3 opponents in the tourney. A conference like CUSA at the top end is way more deserving of an at large bid than some 8 or 9th place team from a power conference.

As you can see. The bias towards the power conferences pisses me off. OK. Don't ranting.

But hey. The Eagles are Super Bowl Champs. So, life is great

Comment

I know that some of the small school conferences only get 1 automatic bid so the MAC probably gave it to Marshall for winning the tournament. I think the tournament committee got some flak last year because it took the conference champs too last year when that happened. I think that they could end this controversy by just making everybody eligible for the thing. It would only add 2 games to the tournament. Or letting anybody with a winning record go and that would only add 1. It's really easy to end the BS in basketball.

Comment

My Favorite time of year Popper. The way my Alma Mater, Villanova,class of '76, is playing makes it alot of Phun. Loyola-Chicago has really captured the Nation & at this point, Sister Jean is the MVP but...GO NOVA!!!
            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Really like the NCAA tourney and I have to agree with you Pliny in that there is bias against small school conferences. I would have thought the tourney had this figured out since they look at all eligibles, look at the record, look at who they lose to or who they beat, etc. But I think it is pretty obvious that you have to win your conference most of the time in order to get in.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                Really like the NCAA tourney and I have to agree with you Pliny in that there is bias against small school conferences. I would have thought the tourney had this figured out since they look at all eligibles, look at the record, look at who they lose to or who they beat, etc. But I think it is pretty obvious that you have to win your conference most of the time in order to get in.

They used to have it right before they decided to expand it with the runner up of for each conference. It just used to be the 12 major conferences and 4 independants . The NIT was still a big deal so teams really didn't feel too snubbed playing in it. In fact one year Al Mcguire refused to go to it and played in the NIT instead because they wanted to put him in the West Division instead of the Midwest. I don't blame him because that was a crock of shit and he would have had to play UCLA on their home court. Of course now it has expanded to a huge event and that's a good thing. I just wish that they would just open it up more and add another game. They have done that with the playin games and it's up to 68 teams now. As I said earlier, just add another game and make it 128.

Of course they can't do that that because each conference now has a tournament mainly to exploit the hell out of the athletes but that's another story. When the ACC was the only conference to have one that tournament was more important to them than the NCAA.

Comment

There is a lot of basketball talent in the US. Some of it takes a couple of years to develop and with others they are ready for the pros after just one year.
                  Without adding an extra round to the current tournament, every year is going to have its share of excluded teams that probably deserved to go. I went to a small school in the A10 that has pulled off some big upsets in the tourney so I agree with the sentiment that there is some bias against the non power 5 conferences. I just don't see a great solution.

Comment

Let's go Nova!

The next game is going to be hard. Duke and Kansas both have tremendous teams. I'd rather play Kansas though because at least you dont have to play the refs.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                      Let's go Nova!

The next game is going to be hard. Duke and Kansas both have tremendous teams. I'd rather play Kansas though because at least you dont have to play the refs.
                      I'd like to see Nova too for all of my Philly friends but I'm very glad that that joke of a program Kentucky is out of it.

Comment

100 year olds trash talk!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ean/458642002/

Comment

KU fan here for 40 years. Sorry guys... it’s about where you grew up sometimes but not always.

My 3 teams are Birds, Royals, Jayhawks in that order.

Can’t imagine the Jayhawks winning it all 2 months after the Eagles.

Nova is so good. I think they roll over the Jayhawks Saturday.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                            KU fan here for 40 years. Sorry guys... it’s about where you grew up sometimes but not always.

My 3 teams are Birds, Royals, Jayhawks in that order.

Can’t imagine the Jayhawks winning it all 2 months after the Eagles.

Nova is so good. I think they roll over the Jayhawks Saturday.
                            Not so sure. I think Kansas bigs will be a challenge for Nova.
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Nova favored by 5 but should be a tough game, GO NOVA!!!
                              Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Working...
                              X