Kudos to the D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to the D

They basically won this game for us, lots of turnovers, good 3rd down & red zone performance, constant pressure, shut the run game down and tackled well overall...nice games for Ryans, Nnamdi, DRC, Coleman, Babin, Kendricks, Cole and Boykin as stand outs...

Too many penalties and more focus needed on the slant routes would be the only issues I saw...good job, let's keep it up
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

They played well, but the Cleveland offense couldn't get out of its own way. So I'm going to hold off on the plaudits for the time being.

Still, I was particularly pleased to see Ryans step up, DRC own the left side, and Boykin show everybody he is a very polished performer for a rookie.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Cleveland has a strong OL and Richardson is a good/strong RB...plus the D was one main reason Weedon looked as bad as he did, sure it does not gaurantee the D will be good the whole season, but it was a very encouraging start and that unit won the game for us...

ST also had a strong game outside of Henery being 1-2 on FG, hit the 42 yder, but missed the 45 yder. ST was an overlooked weakness last year that really hurt us, not so much the kicker/punter, but the coverage units and our return men...those facets look much improved this year so far...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Richardson was in his first game back after missing preseason and Wheedon just flat out sucks.

That being said, you still have to catch the ball when it's lofted to you and our secondary did a great job there. Amazing how much better our secondary is once you get rid of Assante and his need to play his style. It's one of the more underrated improvements we made this offseason I think.

Comment

Browns went with max protect most of the game. They knew Weedon would be rattled if they let our ends get to him, so they kept everyone in. He did have time back there, but our corners were all over their only two good receivers. The pass rush eventually would get through and make a pocket passer roll out. the kid was not taken where he was in the draft for not having the arm. So, we had to show him what its like in the NFL to rattle him...and we DID IT.

Ryans looked fine on his coverage. He blew up run hole after run hole. He seems to be a better downhill backer which was nice to see them using him that way. With a very large truck heading toward the line, it was a very smart game plan to attack richardson before he got his speed up. Excellent execution by the line and Ryan and great game plan by Juan, Caldwell and Wash. And the max protection aided a bit in this...if our coaches picked up on it.

I know the first pick was a gift to Coleman, but the second one was being in the right spot and trusting the path of the ball. He could have made a break on the receiver to break up the pass, but he trusted the flight and CAUGHT the ball (that many defenders drop when straight at them). And I wanted to kick Dick Stockton for exaggerating the Richardson hit on Coleman. Any fool could see that Coleman just shed a block from a lineman and was standing up straight. His helmet straps were already off from the lineman hit. While off balance, Coleman threw himself in the path of a Mack truck (I know, it was not the original Brown's Mack). Coleman took the punnishment and brought the truck down before a first down. He got up and stayed in the game. I take nothing from the hit from Richardson, but he knocked an off-balanced safety down and removed a helmet that was already coming off. Stockton called this and about 20 other plays wrong "Jackson (Macklin) with the TD", "Nice catch by Jackson (Maclin)", "...with a nice move to pick up more yards (half yard gain)" "Iggles are a half yard short of the first down (actually had it)", "They're reviewing if Vick recovered or the spot (no they can't review either)". Sorry, but I hated him more than the officials who dont call a shot to Vicks face, but call holding on a pancake by Kelce.

OK, corners played great with only a couple bad plays, which thankfully didn't hurt us. Cole went against Thomas, so he was somewhat silent, but Babin actually had a nice game all-around, especially for not playing any preseason. Our tackles were studs against the run and DE's closed the gaps. So much for all the worry about not having an overweight guy in the middle.

After watching Rolle over run plays against the Browns in preseason, I knew they would have a reverse against us. Cole contained, but could not get off of Thomas (plus he has to contain), but Ryan got caught having to decide to go inside of Cole or outside. Turns out a flying receiever can't be caught from going inside, and Cole couldn't get away from Thomas. I do not know which outside backer was out of position. But, after that, there were no more missed plays by our backers. Jordan was silent (except for that ST open field tacke of Cribbs) but not for bad reasons. Allen made a nice open field tackle for a loss on a dump pass.
          Pedro

Comment

They were playing against an offense with a rookie QB. Please keep in mind that it wasn't Eli or Romo, etc.

That being said, there were some encouraging sings. Ryans flashed some, and it looks like he can play. Coleman played pretty well. DRC had a great game, etc. They also kept them out of the endzone for the most part, and that was a big issue last year. The front 4 looks really good. They more than held their own.

It was also damned nice to see the Eagles put together a game winning drive in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter, and the defense not turn around and allow the other team to drive down the field and score.

Comment

It looks like Ryans can command the defense. Leadership is one of the biggest things that unit needs out there and Ryans supplied it. He played the run well and did OK on pass coverage (although why he lined up against a receiver at some points was beyond me). Kendricks did well also. You really can't judge the pass defense all that well because Weeden was awful but we stuffed the run and made the Browns one dimensional. Hopefully we can do this week to week where we keep challenging our pass rush and secondary in the passing game. If we can take away alot of Ray Rice next week, we have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                After watching Rolle over run plays against the Browns in preseason, I knew they would have a reverse against us. Cole contained, but could not get off of Thomas (plus he has to contain), but Ryan got caught having to decide to go inside of Cole or outside. Turns out a flying receiever can't be caught from going inside, and Cole couldn't get away from Thomas. I do not know which outside backer was out of position. .
                Was that the play where the ref missed an obvious drag down holding because he was too busy watching the ballcarrier?

Comment

I agree with all positive points made. The defense looked better yesterday than it did all of last season. Still, there is definitely room for improvement and need for more creativity. There was very little blitzing yesterday. As good as our DL is, there is still a need to blitz occasionally.

In the back of my mind, I still wonder how good this defense would be with a skilled defensive coordinator.
                  "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

The big thing on defense yesterday to me is they tackled really well. Ryans was a beast, he was blowing up the middle of that line not only that he made a really nice tackle to prevent a 3rd down conversion. Overall it was the Browns they faced but that is what you are suppose to do as a defense when you face a inferior team. They pretty much held them to 3 points, and by my calcuation I think the longest drive they gave up was like 40 yards. That is nothing
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

That's the best defense this team has played in years! Period. That BS by Reid about swapping LBs was just that-BS. I don't believe either Matthews or Chaney saw the field. Ryans came out in dime coverage. Cleveland sucks, but they probably would havew eaten up last year's defense. I'm happy about what they showed yesterday!
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                        Browns went with max protect most of the game. They knew Weedon would be rattled if they let our ends get to him, so they kept everyone in. He did have time back there, but our corners were all over their only two good receivers. The pass rush eventually would get through and make a pocket passer roll out. the kid was not taken where he was in the draft for not having the arm. So, we had to show him what its like in the NFL to rattle him...and we DID IT.

Ryans looked fine on his coverage. He blew up run hole after run hole. He seems to be a better downhill backer which was nice to see them using him that way. With a very large truck heading toward the line, it was a very smart game plan to attack richardson before he got his speed up. Excellent execution by the line and Ryan and great game plan by Juan, Caldwell and Wash. And the max protection aided a bit in this...if our coaches picked up on it.

I know the first pick was a gift to Coleman, but the second one was being in the right spot and trusting the path of the ball. He could have made a break on the receiver to break up the pass, but he trusted the flight and CAUGHT the ball (that many defenders drop when straight at them). And I wanted to kick Dick Stockton for exaggerating the Richardson hit on Coleman. Any fool could see that Coleman just shed a block from a lineman and was standing up straight. His helmet straps were already off from the lineman hit. While off balance, Coleman threw himself in the path of a Mack truck (I know, it was not the original Brown's Mack). Coleman took the punnishment and brought the truck down before a first down. He got up and stayed in the game. I take nothing from the hit from Richardson, but he knocked an off-balanced safety down and removed a helmet that was already coming off. Stockton called this and about 20 other plays wrong "Jackson (Macklin) with the TD", "Nice catch by Jackson (Maclin)", "...with a nice move to pick up more yards (half yard gain)" "Iggles are a half yard short of the first down (actually had it)", "They're reviewing if Vick recovered or the spot (no they can't review either)". Sorry, but I hated him more than the officials who dont call a shot to Vicks face, but call holding on a pancake by Kelce.

OK, corners played great with only a couple bad plays, which thankfully didn't hurt us. Cole went against Thomas, so he was somewhat silent, but Babin actually had a nice game all-around, especially for not playing any preseason. Our tackles were studs against the run and DE's closed the gaps. So much for all the worry about not having an overweight guy in the middle.

After watching Rolle over run plays against the Browns in preseason, I knew they would have a reverse against us. Cole contained, but could not get off of Thomas (plus he has to contain), but Ryan got caught having to decide to go inside of Cole or outside. Turns out a flying receiever can't be caught from going inside, and Cole couldn't get away from Thomas. I do not know which outside backer was out of position. But, after that, there were no more missed plays by our backers. Jordan was silent (except for that ST open field tacke of Cribbs) but not for bad reasons. Allen made a nice open field tackle for a loss on a dump pass.

Good post, Pedro.

I too wanted to smack Stockton and Co for making a big deal out of that hit on Coleman. you want to know who impressed me and got MY respect on that play? COLEMAN. He was coming off a block as you say and was in no position to try to take down Richardson, but damn if he didn't do it. Coleman had on his man-drawers for that one. Props, Kurt. F Sportscenter if they think you are a poster child. We know better.

Also, I want to comment on a couple more things re-Nnamdi. One, he should always be playing press coverage. He excels at it. First slant he is ten yards off the LOS and the net result is a 21 yard gain. Not his fault. Next time he is playing press, the ball is delivered perfectly and NNamdi still completely shuts it down. Why? Because he CAN. Add a couple points for the hustle play that saved a TD with him coming across field to save our butts and Nnamdi earned his check this week.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                          Good post, Pedro.

I too wanted to smack Stockton and Co for making a big deal out of that hit on Coleman. you want to know who impressed me and got MY respect on that play? COLEMAN. He was coming off a block as you say and was in no position to try to take down Richardson, but damn if he didn't do it. Coleman had on his man-drawers for that one. Props, Kurt. F Sportscenter if they think you are a poster child. We know better.

Also, I want to comment on a couple more things re-Nnamdi. One, he should always be playing press coverage. He excels at it. First slant he is ten yards off the LOS and the net result is a 21 yard gain. Not his fault. Next time he is playing press, the ball is delivered perfectly and NNamdi still completely shuts it down. Why? Because he CAN. Add a couple points for the hustle play that saved a TD with him coming across field to save our butts and Nnamdi earned his check this week.
                          Can't argue with anything in both posts. I'll also add that Coleman had balls of steel on that play to bring down Richardson!
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                          X