No announcement yet.

Culture Beats Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well a lack of talent isn't going to beat talent without something like maybe culture or scheme to help them. And even at that it may not overcome the lack of talent.
    As for the birds I am not sure where we are above other top of the league teams in talent. McCoy is certainly better than some but Lynch and Murray and Lacy aren't too far off this year. The receivers and QB are okay but not best in class. Some D guys such as Jackson, Barwin, Cox may be having pro bowl years but other top teams have guys just as good.
    So, having said that what is going to put the birds above them...has to be something like culture, scheme, coaching. And not sure they are close enough this year. (this from a 17-2 prediction)
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
      Well a lack of talent isn't going to beat talent without something like maybe culture or scheme to help them. And even at that it may not overcome the lack of talent.
      As for the birds I am not sure where we are above other top of the league teams in talent. McCoy is certainly better than some but Lynch and Murray and Lacy aren't too far off this year. The receivers and QB are okay but not best in class. Some D guys such as Jackson, Barwin, Cox may be having pro bowl years but other top teams have guys just as good.
      So, having said that what is going to put the birds above them...has to be something like culture, scheme, coaching. And not sure they are close enough this year. (this from a 17-2 prediction)
      I really think our only shot is to find a guy like Brady in the later rounds one of these years. With Chip we're never going to be drafting high enough to score and obvious one.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

And while I'm on the subject of rebuilding, you sure don't rebuild by picking guys like Marcus Smith in the first round.

Comment

Talent that fits a scheme that everybody buys into wins. You don't have to have the best players but you have to have the best players that fit your scheme.

We are still a OG that can get to second level. A safety and maybe a corner away. I have actually been very pkeased though with what i have seen out of (gulp) matthews, acho, logan, and thornton...they are tood enough.

That said it would be super great to draft michael kendricks brother eric in the second round this year.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            And while I'm on the subject of rebuilding, you sure don't rebuild by picking guys like Marcus Smith in the first round.
            I was going to mention this, and you beat me to it. I hate to say it, but the Marcus Smith pick is a setback. They've gotten first round production out of Jordan Matthews, which has kind of taken away a bit of the sting. But, this team really needed a decent defensive player with that pick, and so far they haven't gotten shit. Maybe he develops like Brandon Graham, but even Graham isn't playing up to his draft status, and probably never will. At this point Marcus Smith appears to be a miss that they could ill afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
              I was going to mention this, and you beat me to it. I hate to say it, but the Marcus Smith pick is a setback. They've gotten first round production out of Jordan Matthews, which has kind of taken away a bit of the sting. But, this team really needed a decent defensive player with that pick, and so far they haven't gotten shit. Maybe he develops like Brandon Graham, but even Graham isn't playing up to his draft status, and probably never will. At this point Marcus Smith appears to be a miss that they could ill afford.
              Actually, the team needed a decent player period. Draft for need, and that's what happens. How many times must I say that need is what free agency is for!

Comment

Smith will develop into a Brandon Graham level player IMO. That would be good if he wasn't such a high pick but he will play more than he has this year. Kendricks is a good LB that I really like but he doesn't dominate a game like I wish he could. The front seven has gotten pressure (see sack totals) but Wilson had a lot of time too often. I would love to see them pick up a game changing LB to go with the current cast. That would show that the CBs, although not great, will be good enough. Not saying you can't upgrade but the CBs are asked to go out on their own a lot and you can't cover that long when you give good QBs (Wilson, Rogers, et al) time. I could even live with Allen if they had a game changing LB although an upgrade would be preferred
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

[QUOTE=NoDakIggle`;258384]Smith will develop into a Brandon Graham level player IMO. That would be good if he wasn't such a high pick but he will play more than he has this year. Kendricks is a good LB that I really like but he doesn't dominate a game like I wish he could. The front seven has gotten pressure (see sack totals) but Wilson had a lot of time too often. I would love to see them pick up a game changing LB to go with the current cast. That would show that the CBs, although not great, will be good enough. Not saying you can't upgrade but the CBs are asked to go out on their own a lot and you can't cover that long when you give good QBs (Wilson, Rogers, et al) time. I could even live with Allen if they had a game changing LB although an upgrade would be preferred[/QUOTE]

If that were even close to possible I would be thrilled. There's no comparison in my book. He's already my number 1 pick for my "surprise cut" pick next year. Seriously, whoever heard of a number 1 pick at LB not being able to make it to the special teams? He's junk. Graham's only problem was a serious lack of coaching and missing a season due to injury. He's a damn good player and definitely should be resigned. Smith should be shown the door.

Comment

Actually, the team needed a decent player period. Draft for need, and that's what happens. How many times must I say that need is what free agency is for!
                    Yea, I get that Popper. It's just unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                      Yea, I get that Popper. It's just unfortunate.
                      Even Jon Friekin Harris found the field once in awhile.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoDakIggle`;258384]Smith will develop into a Brandon Graham level player IMO. That would be good if he wasn't such a high pick but he will play more than he has this year. Kendricks is a good LB that I really like but he doesn't dominate a game like I wish he could. The front seven has gotten pressure (see sack totals) but Wilson had a lot of time too often. I would love to see them pick up a game changing LB to go with the current cast. That would show that the CBs, although not great, will be good enough. Not saying you can't upgrade but the CBs are asked to go out on their own a lot and you can't cover that long when you give good QBs (Wilson, Rogers, et al) time. I could even live with Allen if they had a game changing LB although an upgrade would be preferred
                        If that were even close to possible I would be thrilled. There's no comparison in my book. He's already my number 1 pick for my "surprise cut" pick next year. Seriously, whoever heard of a number 1 pick at LB not being able to make it to the special teams? He's junk. Graham's only problem was a serious lack of coaching and missing a season due to injury. He's a damn good player and definitely should be resigned. Smith should be shown the door.[/QUOTE]

Time will tell. Many a player have been labeled bust, including Zach Ertz last year and Graham before that, when in fact they weren't ready for the NFL and just needed time. On the other hand I give you Danny Watkins.
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X