• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Eagle

AP Images
    Eagles sign veteran LB Paul Worrilow

By Reuben Frank | NBC Sports Philadelphia April 03, 2018 11:30 AM

The Eagles have signed 27-year-old inside linebacker Paul Worrilow, who spent last year with the Lions, to a one-year contract.
    Worrilow — pronounced WORE-low — is entering his sixth NFL season. He’s played in 72 games and started 52. He’s considered a sure tackler and capable special teamer and gives the Eagles depth at a position with a lot of question marks.
    Worrilow started 43 games for the Falcons from 2013 through 2015 but over the last two years has played more snaps on special teams (482) than defense (436).
    Along with the addition of Corey Nelson last month, the Eagles now have eight linebackers under contract, including Jordan Hicks, Joe Walker and Worrilow as primarily inside linebackers.
    Worrilow grew up in Delaware and graduated from Concord High School in Wilmington before playing at Coffeyville (Kans.) Junior College and then the University of Delaware, where he was a first-team All-Colonial Conference linebacker in 2012.
    He made the Falcons in 2013 as an undrafted rookie and spent four years in Atlanta before spending last year with the Lions.
    In 72 career games, he has 262 tackles, 11 pass deflections and four fumble recoveries. Both his career interceptions came in 2015, one off Zach Mettenberger of the Titans and another off Matt Hasselbeck of the Colts.

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

solid backup middle linebacker. Not sure how Hicks is going to come back so this is a good get.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Yea good pick up; can't be costing a hell of a lot. LB is an area with some question mark so there should be good comp in camp and they should come out of camp with a few healthy bodies.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

SBN-The more that you read the less impressed you are

Can Paul Worrilow start for the Lions in 2017?
        By Mike Payton Mar 16, 2017, 7:30am EDT

Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports
        Earlier this week, I compared the Detroit Lions linebacking corps to the Sarlacc pit. This, of course, was to say that the Lions have a gaping hole in the middle of the field on the defensive side of the ball. Whether there's a Boba Fett-eating monster inside of it has yet to be seen. But at first glance, there doesn't appear to be a starting linebacker in there.

Obviously the Lions do have Tahir Whitehead. He’ll be expected to start without a doubt, but from there, it's a mystery. After the Lions cut DeAndre Levy last week, they went out and signed former Falcon Paul Worrilow. This left a lot of fans upset, because who is Paul Worrilow?

This was my early response, too. Then it turned into the thought that he would be a fringe player that could flex in and out. Then it turned into the thought that this guy could be starting for the Lions. Justin Rogers would later confirm these suspicions when he reacted to Worrilow’s contract numbers.

Aaron Wilson
        @AaronWilson_NFL
        Paul Worrilow: $3M, $2.75M gtd, $750K signing bonus; salary $2M; $250K workout bonus, $1M incentive

12:26 PM - Mar 13, 2017
        See Aaron Wilson's other Tweets
        Twitter Ads info and privacy

Justin Rogers
        @Justin_Rogers
        That's we-expect-you-to-start money. https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/...24530610110464

12:29 PM - Mar 13, 2017
        See Justin Rogers's other Tweets
        Twitter Ads info and privacy
        He’s right. You don't pay a backup those numbers. There's no other way around it. By all appearances, Worrilow is going to start. But should he? My sole purpose in life, this week, is to answer this question.

The answers I found were quite interesting.

The Stats
        If you base your hypotheses purely of the 2016 season, your answer will come up “no” every time. Worrilow missed the early part of the 2016 season with a groin injury that required surgery. By his return, rookie Deion Jones had taken his place and begun to have a notable season himself. Worrilow spent most of the year recovering. He only played 162 snaps in the 2016 season.

Now if you go back to his previous three seasons, a different story begins to form. One in which Worrilow is a three-year starter and plays snaps out the wazoo. The year to look at, in particular, is the 2014 season.

In that year, Worrilow led all Falcons defenders in snaps with 1,079. He finished fifth in the NFL in tackles with 142. Worrilow also finished the 2013 and 2015 seasons with great numbers. If you're judging on stats alone, Worrilow looks like a pretty good options.

Welcome to Atlanta
        I needed more, though. So I hopped on a midnight train to Georgia. After I ate at Gladys and Ron’s Chicken and Waffles, I got distracted trying to find out what happened to Dem Franchize Boyz. Once I regrouped, I met up with Matt Chambers of The Falcoholic to find some answers.

But as soon as I mentioned the name Paul Worrilow, Matt became a different person. He said “you want to know about Worrilow? I’ll tell you about Worrilow. Check your inbox tomorrow.” Then he just left me there outside the old WCW Headquarters.

The next day I awoke to an inbox full of Worrilow takes. In fact, I got one from every member of The Falcoholic. Without further ado, here are their thoughts:

DW

“Worrilow is a player whose locker room respects probably earns him more time than it reasonably should on the field. He works hard and has the best attitude you could hope for, but he’s a sub-par athlete who is a nightmare in pass coverage and only mediocre in run defense. If you’re counting on him as a starter, you’re likely going to be disappointed.

Oh yeah this should be fun”

Kevin Knight

“OK, how do I put this gently…

Worrilow was the subject of much ire amongst Falcons fans, and the center of many, many jokes. Off the field, he’s an ideal player. He’s a leader in the locker room and a hard worker on the practice field. Worrilow is just an all around great dude who truly makes you want the best for him.

But, unfortunately, he’s just not a starting-caliber NFL player. I know his Combine testing tells you that he’s athletic, but he doesn’t play that way. He’s a solid tackler and that’s about it. Worrilow gets roasted in coverage by even marginal athletes at RB and TE. He can’t be relied upon at all in that area, and if you put him in coverage he’s going to get beat repeatedly.

Truthfully, he’s a solid back-up and shouldn’t be relied upon to do much else. Dan Quinn used him a bit more at WLB instead of MLB during 2016, and he was a bit better there, but he’s still not someone you want seeing a ton of snaps. On third down, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the field.”

Kyle McClendon

“There is a lot to be said about Worrilow as a leader and a locker room guy. Especially with the way he helped the young Atlanta linebackers this season, despite the fact that it ultimately cost him his job. He's a selfless guy with a lot of heart.

However, his grit and grind can only get him so far. He is decent when you put him close to the line of scrimmage and when he only has to run in a straight line to make a tackle, but the further away he gets from the line and the more laterally he has to move, he gets worse and worse. While he is a great get for the locker room in Detroit and a guy who can lead some of the younger guys that the Lions have/will have on defense, he isn't a consistently serviceable NFL linebacker.

Tons of grit, though. TONS of grit.”

Matt Chambers

“I was a huge fan of Paul Worrilow after his rookie year. He replaced Akeem Dent, who was not only slow but couldn’t tackle. Worrilow was a pretty solid tackler, and I was really excited to see how he develops. Surely he could put on some weight, better understand a pro playbook, and the game would slow down for him. He added a ton of muscle one offseason, did UFC training in another, and yet never came close to his rookie performance.

Some people may think, “oh, this guy is just a little slow but is a great run stuffer.” That’s half true. He’s very, very slow. He’s also outmatched in the run game, and gets bowled over more often than he makes a big hit. I can probably sum it up best with Atlanta fan reactions to his new contract being mostly: “wow.”

Kendall Jackson

“Listen: I’m happy Paul Worrilow was able to earn himself a nice chunk of change after coming into the league as an undrafted free agent. He’s undoubtedly a hard worker and had no issue in helping Deion Jones make the transition to the NFL. Unfortunately, Worrilow’s an example of the harsh reality that sometimes our best just isn’t good enough. It’s difficult to be a starting-caliber linebacker in the league if you’re on the smaller side and you’re not athletic enough to make up for it.”

A moment to breathe
        Wow! Thank guys. Sorry to bring this burden upon your home. The whole way back to Michigan, all I could think about was how surprised I was to see these takes on Worrilow. It’s pretty clear that the stats are quite misleading.

What was nice to hear is that Worrilow doesn’t at all seem to be the guy that’s going to give up. He has grit and can be a leader. That sort of thing is important in the locker room, but I can’t help but wonder why the Lions would pay Worrilow the money he’s slated to make if he’s only going to be a locker room guy.

Only time will tell on this, but for now, if I have to make a final ruling, I say the Lions had better assess their options come the NFL Draft next month. Worrilow can start, but this should not be a long-term thing by any means. Just because he can, doesn’t mean he should. Let’s hope Bob Quinn knew what he was doing here.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Mychel Kendricks tweeted out a picture of himself looking half-forlorn, half-mildly pissed with the caption "That face you make when your over the bullshit." I guess this could be something non-football related, but I doubt it based on the timing.

Comically, I guess, the face he's making in the tweet is NOT the face a person makes when they are "over the bullshit." He actually is making the face of a person totally NOT "over the bullshit."

Comment

Maybe Kendrick should try playing so well that they CAN'T take him out
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              Maybe Kendrick should try playing so well that they CAN'T take him out
              I think that he did to tell you the truth. I can't see either of the two guys that they brought in taking his place. I'd hate to rely on one of them when Hicks inevitably goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                Mychel Kendricks tweeted out a picture of himself looking half-forlorn, half-mildly pissed with the caption "That face you make when your over the bullshit." I guess this could be something non-football related, but I doubt it based on the timing.

Comically, I guess, the face he's making in the tweet is NOT the face a person makes when they are "over the bullshit." He actually is making the face of a person totally NOT "over the bullshit."
                He’s a crybaby.

He played well but his cap number hurts and he can’t stop whining about his fuckin contract. We get it/ you want more money- how about you let your agent do his job and stfu

Comment

Kendriks started his career and showed great potential IMM. Then he didn't quite fit the scheme or live to his potential or bitched about PT or contract or ..... whatever that didn't include setting the world on fire. He was a real nice backer last year but certainly not pro bowl quality. His quality can be had cheaper but if he would just shut up and play to the level he is capable for a reasonable sum he would have a career in Philly I think. Kind of like that Boykin kid a few years back that did well in the slot but wanted to be outside. Now he is outside football I believe
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

I think that the guy just wants to play. He sees the Eagles bringing in more LBs and he feels like he's getting replaced and doesn't like it. What's wrong with that??? Not once did he ever bitch about money. Where did that come from?

Comment

I don't have articles to refer you to 60 but he wanted and got a new contract rather than finish his first one I believe and then last off season questioned whether he should have signed it since his PT was going down each year. But he has been a good soldier about it and hasn't held out or anything. And he came through this year showing he is a good ball player.
                      I was an early supporter and thought he was going to be a steady force for years to come after his first year but the bottom line is that teams only play two LBs a lot of the time. You have to beat out someone so you can be one of the top two. Seems like he is always on the cusp and has to accept that or beat out the guy in front of you. If they are bringing someone in to replace you it is because you out priced yourself or you are getting outplayed. Maybe they aren't bringing in someone to replace him but are just looking at depth or a TC body.
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        I don't have articles to refer you to 60 but he wanted and got a new contract rather than finish his first one I believe and then last off season questioned whether he should have signed it since his PT was going down each year. But he has been a good soldier about it and hasn't held out or anything. And he came through this year showing he is a good ball player.
                        I was an early supporter and thought he was going to be a steady force for years to come after his first year but the bottom line is that teams only play two LBs a lot of the time. You have to beat out someone so you can be one of the top two. Seems like he is always on the cusp and has to accept that or beat out the guy in front of you. If they are bringing someone in to replace you it is because you out priced yourself or you are getting outplayed. Maybe they aren't bringing in someone to replace him but are just looking at depth or a TC body.
                        We're pretty much on the same page here ND. Maybe I should have answered right underneath WC's post. I really think that the only bitch he has ever had is about PT. He's never complained about money. In fact he did go the Eagles and asked that he be traded to a team that would use him more. I think that he's getting paranoid again with the new guys coming in, especially because they simply aren't as good as him. Kendricks knows that his playing time will be next to nothing again when Hicks comes back because Schwartz's base is pretty much the nickel. He also knows that the Birds are up against the cap and his name always comes up as the answer to that problem. If I were him I'd be upset too. That doesn't make him a bad guy or an underachiever.

Comment

For this year we are fine against the cap, so let’s have some depth at LB for a change. Can’t the new guys replace Braman and Goode? Maybe Kendricks is a bit of a crybaby, but he saved our butts last year, so maybe Doug or Schwartz can give him a little love? If he goes I think it’s bc the Birds want a 2nd day pick, not bc they don’t like or can’t afford Kendrick’s.
                          Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                          Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
                            For this year we are fine against the cap, so let’s have some depth at LB for a change. Can’t the new guys replace Braman and Goode? Maybe Kendricks is a bit of a crybaby, but he saved our butts last year, so maybe Doug or Schwartz can give him a little love? If he goes I think it’s bc the Birds want a 2nd day pick, not bc they don’t like or can’t afford Kendrick’s.
                            He asked for a trade last year and they said no because you're too valuable. Unless they draft Dick Butkis I would think that he'll be here again this year.

Comment

Working...
                            X