2013 Draft Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Draft Review

Obviously this is still too early to make any firm conclusions, but I always love going back and reviewing past drafts and see how the picks have developed...

1st Rd: Lane Johnson (OT)

2nd Rd: Zach Ertz (TE)

3rd Rd: Bennie Logan (NT)

4th Rd: Matt Barkley (QB)

5th Rd: Earl Wolff (SS)

7th Rd: Joe Kruger (DE)
    Jordan Poyer (CB)
    David King (DE)

The top of the draft so far, 1st and 2nd rd picks, have been triples or at least doubles (HR being all-pros & grand slam being HOF players). Will Johnson and/or Ertz make a PB or be an all-pro during their careers? I think so. Johnson has started since day 1 and been quite good. Ertz took a year to really emerge and still needs to work on his blocking, but he is a dynamic TE and a good fit for this offense.

Bennie Logan has pretty much started from day 1 as well and been pretty good at NT/DT, stout against the run and provided some push up the middle to the QB. He's never going to be a sack guy because that is not what he's asked to do. I'd say solid double.

The second half of the draft is where it gets dicey IMO. Barkley is the 3rd QB and still needs a lot of development. Wolff is a backup S so far and needs to step up soon. Kruger, Poyer and King are all gone, which is not abnormal for 7th rd picks, but does negate the impact of this draft class a little.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Actually I thought it looked pretty good. the first five picks are on the roster, three regular contributors and one sees playing time. Barkley was a developmental type pick (in a lot of minds anyway) and Wolff is a primary backup as a fifth round pick. I think most would be happy with that considering I have seen a lot of second/third round picks not even give you that.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I'd rate that draft an A.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

When you hit on each of the first 3 rounds with players who are starting just 1 year later, the rest of the draft is irrelevant. That's A+ drafting.

If you told a GM that he had to give up all of his Day 3 picks, but that in exchange he would be guaranteed that the first 3 picks in his draft would be starting players less than 1 year later, every GM would take that every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
          When you hit on each of the first 3 rounds with players who are starting just 1 year later, the rest of the draft is irrelevant. That's A+ drafting.

If you told a GM that he had to give up all of his Day 3 picks, but that in exchange he would be guaranteed that the first 3 picks in his draft would be starting players less than 1 year later, every GM would take that every day of the week.
          (Of course it's only 7:30 in the morning...but you get the idea!)

1st Rd: Lane Johnson (OT) - Excellent Pick! Very happy with his progress and potential.

2nd Rd: Zach Ertz (TE) - Stud in the making. Better than I expected and he could become one of the top TE in the league in another few years.

3rd Rd: Bennie Logan (NT) - A very good player with more upside to come. He won't get headlines and highlights, but for a NT that's a very good thing!

4th Rd: Matt Barkley (QB) - Not happy with his progress at all. With him now in the primary backup role I'm really worried that he might actually see the field.

5th Rd: Earl Wolff (SS) - Shows flashes but still inconsistent. Needs more time and coaching but Quintin Mikell told me he thinks the kid has what it takes to be a very good safety in this league so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

7th Rd: Joe Kruger (DE) - History.
          Jordan Poyer (CB) - Gone.
          David King (DE) - See ya!
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Spot on!

You can't have 7 starters in any draft -- just doesn't happen. You get 3/4 starters in any draft and you call it an "A".

Comment

Jordan Poyer is playing CB and returning punts for the Browns this season. I really thought he would stick with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                (Of course it's only 7:30 in the morning...but you get the idea!)

1st Rd: Lane Johnson (OT) - Excellent Pick! Very happy with his progress and potential.

2nd Rd: Zach Ertz (TE) - Stud in the making. Better than I expected and he could become one of the top TE in the league in another few years.

3rd Rd: Bennie Logan (NT) - A very good player with more upside to come. He won't get headlines and highlights, but for a NT that's a very good thing!

4th Rd: Matt Barkley (QB) - Not happy with his progress at all. With him now in the primary backup role I'm really worried that he might actually see the field.

5th Rd: Earl Wolff (SS) - Shows flashes but still inconsistent. Needs more time and coaching but Quintin Mikell told me he thinks the kid has what it takes to be a very good safety in this league so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

7th Rd: Joe Kruger (DE) - History.
                Jordan Poyer (CB) - Gone.
                David King (DE) - See ya!
                Don't forget that Matt Tobin was an undrafted free agent last year who is now a starter on the O-Line. The 2013 draft was a home run.

Juke - while Barkley is a big name coming out of college, I don't think we can lose sight of the fact that he did last until the 4th round and that's a bit of a flyer there. He's on the squad and back-up QBs are a valuable part of your squad even if it means just a few snaps here or there (or clipboard holding for the most part). That is a truly fantastic draft there.

And OBTH - ahoy polloi - you rub elbows much with Quintin Mikell?!

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post

And OBTH - ahoy polloi - you rub elbows much with Quintin Mikell?!

His son was in my son's class last year and I met him at a party at his house for his son. That was right after the draft and he was pretty happy with the Wolff pick at the time but said he wanted to see more of him in camp. I've spoken to him a few times since then at baseball and soccer games but it's not too extensive on Eagles stuff since he went to Carolina. Last spring he was hoping to get picked up by someone but it didn't happen. Haven't had a chance to really talk to him since the summer.
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

The 2013 draft was fine and all if you want to feel good about the Birds and are attracted to the idea that somebody actually knows what they're doing.

But for the masochists or depressed personalities who find comfort in hopeless misery, nothing approaches the 2011 draft.

Here's a BGN poll taken right after the draft asking Eagles' fans to chose their favorite from the 11 draft picks. It's good for a laugh. Casey Mathews was the fan favorite with 34% followed by Danny 'The Whining Canadian Pussy' Watkins.

And who was last, the favorite of a statistical 0% of Bird fans (actually 6 of the 2194 votes). Some guy named Jason something. God knows what ever happened to him. Oh wait! He 's our Center...arguably one of the best in the NFL.

Shows how much we fans know! Of course, I'm certain the 6 votes for Kelce all came from EFO members!

Poll
                    Who was your favorite pick of the 2011 Eagles draft class?

• 21% Danny Watkins (461 votes)
                    • 16% Jaiquawn Jarrett (350 votes)
                    • 4% Curtis Marsh (82 votes)
                    • 34% Casey Matthews (747 votes)
                    • 12% Alex Henery (272 votes)
                    • 6% Dion Lewis (130 votes)
                    • 1% Julian Vandervelde (24 votes)
                    • 0% Jason Kelce (6 votes)
                    • 2% Brian Rolle (46 votes)
                    • 1% Greg Lloyd (29 votes)
                    • 2% Stanley Havili (47 votes)

LINK:http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...-draft-results

Comment

Concur- that draft has been money.

Comment

I'd gladly settle for a draft as good as 2013 even every other year as long the intervening years weren't washouts like 2011.

Comment

Working...
                        X