Riddle Me This...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
    This is hilarious - for years you defended Reid. Defended the Dawkins, trotter, hugh releases, bc Reid had a plan, and production, over 30 etc. Now a new coach releases two guys over 30, one of which doesn't fit the system he wants, and your up in arms.

I forgot all the teams clamoring for Jackson and McCoy. Here's Arians not interested in trading for McCoy http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...ood-fit-for-us
    The Goddam Arizona Cardinals didn't want a stud running back in his prime. I am shocked!
    Dawk was cooked as was Trot, Hugh etc. by the time they left for good...remember Reid brought Trot and Hugh BACK onto the team a 2nd time...Dawk played 1 more decent year in Denver, 1 bad year and then was done. They were the right decisions.

I understand Cole and Herremans are probably at that point too...I just have a soft spot for Cole, one of my favs, but yes they are likely the right decisions.

McCoy, Maclin and Jackson I'm much less certain of...McCoy is elite and 26 yrs old. I like Alonso, but we need to get more for one of the best RB in the NFL. McCoy led the NFL in rushing just one season ago! How is he not a good fit for Chip's offense? Because he and the OL and the offense in general had a down year? Maclin is also 26, posted career numbers last season and we are going to let him walk away for NOTHING? Crazy IMO.

Jackson I'm more mixed on because I do believe he is a flawed character and disliked how he took plays off especially during the contract squabbles and admitted he packed it in to save himself...that is unacceptable IMO. However, to get ZERO in return is bad asset management and most of it has to do with the PR campaign the Eagles undertook to justify the move...if you badmouth a player, you can hardly complain when no other team will give you anything for him...that is PR 101. Don't tell me no other team valued his talent because, guess what, another team picked him up and signed him to a nice deal and he danced all over OUR end zone last season....

Letting very good players go IN THEIR PRIME and getting limited return is what concerns me...Reid very rarely if ever did that or, if he did, he got a return for them...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I might quibble with Dawkins... sounds like he got a high offer from Denver and Banner didn't even bother to counter. I think they wanted to retain him at their price. Yes, he was close to being done, but he may have been worth more to the Eagles. I wonder if that decision was part of what put Banner on thinner ice with Lurie.

Now if we had drafted Earl Thomas maybe we would have forgotten all about it...

McCoy is normally the type of talent you desperately want to find. But... he was now very expensive. His results warrant that, but he's not a bargain, if he's not exactly what Kelly wants in a runner. I thought he did start to dance too much this year, though was much better once the OL got back to be a semblance of itself.

There is also the chance he was agitating for an even higher contract behind the scenes. He had no more guaranteed money, and his agent *is* Rosenhaus. May be nothing to that, but players of that caliber generally do not like playing without any guaranteed dough.

But we traded for more than Alonso... we traded for more cap flexibility elsewhere. Does seem like Kelly wanted to adjust the money allocations at several positions; maybe wanted to spend more on defense where he can't scheme advantages as much. Alonso will hopefully fix a glaring hole and will also not command big $$$ for some time, which we can use in the next three years on another position. He could well be better than Kendricks, and cost less. Those are very difficult players to get in a trade.

It's definitely a gamble -- I do not like to see McCoy go. Kelly is I think basically gambling that his scheme can generate enough yards and points with a lesser back and that big $$$ is best spent elsewhere. McCoy may be a luxury that our defense cannot afford. At least we got significant value for him, as opposed to Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
        I might quibble with Dawkins... sounds like he got a high offer from Denver and Banner didn't even bother to counter. I think they wanted to retain him at their price. Yes, he was close to being done, but he may have been worth more to the Eagles. I wonder if that decision was part of what put Banner on thinner ice with Lurie.

Now if we had drafted Earl Thomas maybe we would have forgotten all about it...

McCoy is normally the type of talent you desperately want to find. But... he was now very expensive. His results warrant that, but he's not a bargain, if he's not exactly what Kelly wants in a runner. I thought he did start to dance too much this year, though was much better once the OL got back to be a semblance of itself.

There is also the chance he was agitating for an even higher contract behind the scenes. He had no more guaranteed money, and his agent *is* Rosenhaus. May be nothing to that, but players of that caliber generally do not like playing without any guaranteed dough.

But we traded for more than Alonso... we traded for more cap flexibility elsewhere. Does seem like Kelly wanted to adjust the money allocations at several positions; maybe wanted to spend more on defense where he can't scheme advantages as much. Alonso will hopefully fix a glaring hole and will also not command big $$$ for some time, which we can use in the next three years on another position. He could well be better than Kendricks, and cost less. Those are very difficult players to get in a trade.

It's definitely a gamble -- I do not like to see McCoy go. Kelly is I think basically gambling that his scheme can generate enough yards and points with a lesser back and that big $$$ is best spent elsewhere. McCoy may be a luxury that our defense cannot afford. At least we got significant value for him, as opposed to Jackson.
        I think that it comes down to what is easier to find, a RB or a LB? Seeing as though the last good linebacker this franchise has drafted was Willy T, I think the McCoy deal(as much as I didn't want it to happen) makes sense.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
        X