• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite general opinion Foles is not thrilled with his roll

Nick Foles says returning to backup role will test him
    Originally posted on Sportsnaut | By David Kenyon | Last updated 7/16/18

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports
    Nick Foles led the Philadelphia Eagles to a Super Bowl victory, but he’s heading back to the bench in 2018. And it won’t be a painless move for the quarterback.

In an interview with Peter King of Football Morning in America, Foles acknowledged there will be tough moments and said he’ll lean on his faith while taking on this unique situation.

“There’s a lot of great growth that goes on with it. I’ll be able to show my daughter down the road that with these opportunities that arise, there’s trials, and challenges. I sort of get excited because it’s really gonna test my heart. It’s gonna test who I am.”

Foles knows his role is serving as the backup to Carson Wentz, who would’ve remained an MVP candidate in 2017 had a knee injury not ended his season.

Although head coach Doug Pederson says he has “no idea” when Wentz will be cleared, the expectation is he’ll be available for Week 1.

So, Foles will return to a familiar place on the sideline. Since he’ll be a free agent next spring, though, Foles must take advantage of every opportunity — whether preseason work, mop-up duty during the campaign or as an injury replacement again.

Without question, it won’t be easy to accept. But Foles’ character could shine through this season.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Come on Nick, while he is portraying himself as a humble man, let's be reasonable. He has been a backup for years now and yes, he had two great games back to back, he knew and still knows that Wentz is the man here. It is possible that one bounce off of an atlanta defender right into Smith's hands from a severely overthrown ball could have ended the run before they even get to the championship game.

From what we've gathered the team has been upfront with him and he's made his decision to take very good backup money for a comfortable job instead of megabucks starting qb money with a lot of pressure for perhaps a lousy team. I know he has a book to hump but man, tone down the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      Come on Nick, while he is portraying himself as a humble man, let's be reasonable. He has been a backup for years now and yes, he had two great games back to back, he knew and still knows that Wentz is the man here. It is possible that one bounce off of an atlanta defender right into Smith's hands from a severely overthrown ball could have ended the run before they even get to the championship game.

From what we've gathered the team has been upfront with him and he's made his decision to take very good backup money for a comfortable job instead of megabucks starting qb money with a lot of pressure for perhaps a lousy team. I know he has a book to hump but man, tone down the comments.
      I believe that Foles is 99% genuine is everything he says. He is wired differently than other pro athletes.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Agree rspurr.
        60- No one says Foles doesn't want to start. But if starting was more important to him than being on the Eagles he would be clamoring for a trade. He isn't. I have no doubt he doesn't want to see Wentz get hurt but I also have no doubt he would be perfectly happy if the doc says Wentz needs six more weeks of rehab.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I think Foles to TB might still be in the works but I sure hope not. The Bucs have to be getting tired of the crab leg stealing, W eating, sexual assaulter.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Agree rspurr.
            60- No one says Foles doesn't want to start. But if starting was more important to him than being on the Eagles he would be clamoring for a trade. He isn't. I have no doubt he doesn't want to see Wentz get hurt but I also have no doubt he would be perfectly happy if the doc says Wentz needs six more weeks of rehab.
            Let’s face it ND. What QB wouldn’t love to start for the Philadelphia Eagles!

Comment

had 2 friends go to his book signing. The books were already signed, you walked by, got your book and kept the line moving. No talking, no pics , no personalized autograph. They weren't impressed
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Please do not believe everything you read........ Media sucks.

Comment

honestly if he was 100% content with being a backup, I probably wouldn't want him on my team. Desire is a big part of being a winner.

To quote Coach McGinty, "Winners want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line."
                  Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                    honestly if he was 100% content with being a backup, I probably wouldn't want him on my team. Desire is a big part of being a winner.

To quote Coach McGinty, "Winners want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line."
                    Agree 100%. If a guy doesn't want to start I don't want him and I don't care who he is. I've heard him say that he wants to start but he's a team guy and goes along with the situation. He's a FA next year and can pick where he wants to play and compete for the starter's job and most likely not have to go to a sucky team.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      Agree 100%. If a guy doesn't want to start I don't want him and I don't care who he is. I've heard him say that he wants to start but he's a team guy and goes along with the situation. He's a FA next year and can pick where he wants to play and compete for the starter's job and most likely not have to go to a sucky team.
                      Took the words out of my mouth. But there’s no lip service about competing for the starting job- it’s Wentz and he knows it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets moved this year because someone’s starter goes down.

He helped win us the ever elusive ring- he can do whatever he wants in my book.

Comment

Massive QB contracts made it difficult for Eagles' Nick Foles to keep priorities straight

By: David Hennessey | July 17, 2018 7:30 am ET

Eagles backup quarterback Nick Foles is in a unique situation.

After leading his team to an improbable Super Bowl victory, he’ll likely find himself on the sidelines for most of the following season. Foles has been a professional throughout it all, working to keep his priorities in check.

“It was hard to watch other players — quarterbacks in particular — sign massive contracts in the weeks following the Super Bowl,” Foles told Peter King of NBC Sports. “On a daily basis, I have to fight the internal battle to keep my priorities straight.”

Foles has never appeared selfish or greedy. He didn’t demand a trade or fight to keep the starting job over franchise quarterback Carson Wentz after the Super Bowl. But Foles certainly recognizes the unusual position he’s in.

The Super Bowl LII MVP will make $9 million next season, per OverTheCap.com. For context, Andy Dalton will make $13.6 million in 2018. Sam Bradford will make $20 million, and Cousins will make $28 million.

Foles’ eyes must have lit up when he heard the news of Cousins’ deal. Cousins doesn’t have a single playoff victory, while Foles is 3-1 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl ring.

His quarterback rating was above 100 in all four career playoff games. Foles has an 8-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in the postseason and averaged 291.5 passing yards per game.

Cousins and Foles are the same age, and Bradford is a year older. Foles is by far the most accomplished. It’s easy to understand why the deals given out to other quarterbacks this offseason could make Foles a bit restless as Philadelphia’s backup.

Though he may be sitting idly on the sidelines this season, Foles will have an opportunity to pick the quarterback-needy team he wants to play for after this year. And, even after a year as a backup, he should still command a sizable contract.

Foles has made it clear his priorities are his family and his faith, but even the most modest of men have to understand the earning potential they possess in their job market. For now, though, Foles will continue to strive to keep his priorities in check with the Eagles.

Comment

Foles has made it clear his priorities are his family and his faith, but even the most modest of men have to understand the earning potential they possess in their job market. For now, though, Foles will continue to strive to keep his priorities in check with the Eagles.

Exactly the way I see Foles. He isn't like a crackhead WR that came from the hood and has an entourage to entertain. He understands his priorities and accepts the road he has chosen. Even if he quits football next year he will be a wealthy man
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post

Exactly the way I see Foles. He isn't like a crackhead WR that came from the hood and has an entourage to entertain. He understands his priorities and accepts the road he has chosen. Even if he quits football next year he will be a wealthy man
                            I see him either working with charities or even starting a ministry. I wouldn't be surprised if he teamed up with Carson and they did something together as they seem to be close friends when they're all done. I really hope that Carson comes back strong and Nick can move on and be a successful QB someplace else. He's so level headed that he won't just jump to a crap team where he can start I don't think. If you read between the lines he's a real competitive guy who wants to play. He wouldn't be where he is today if he weren't like that and he's wants to be the starter someplace.

Comment

Working...
                            X