Nick will be franchised-stole this from another board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick will be franchised-stole this from another board

Several team officials from both conferences think it will be a free-for-all for Foles if the Eagles decide to part with him, and most think the team will do just that despite Foles’ remarkable postseason success. One AFC East team executive said he believes there will be an almost “Reggie White-like pursuit” of Foles by teams desperate for a franchise thrower. White, who left the Eagles for the Packers in 1993, is considered the highest-profile free-agent signing of all time. [...] “There are a lot of teams that will shoot their shot at Foles,” one NFC West scout said, “and [should Philly keep him] will be willing to part with substantial draft picks to do it.” There is already rampant speculation about where Foles will end up. One scout believes Raiders coach Jon Gruden will use some of the booty from the Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper trades (two first-rounders for Mack and one for Cooper) to make the Eagles an offer they can’t refuse.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I hope this is true. I had my doubts about the demand for Foles in the last offseason. I could see the Raiders making a play. I’d think Jacksonville will be at the top of the list.

Comment

Doesn't Foles have the option to buy his way out of the contract for $2,000,000?
      Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
        Doesn't Foles have the option to buy his way out of the contract for $2,000,000?
        Yes but we can still franchise him from what I understand.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I'm going to be a bit upset if Nick leaves, but he and Wentz deserve to start. I am kinda interested in seeing Sudfeld and what he's learned while watching these 2 every day. The kid has the size and arm, but will he command the huddle. I am not certain he should get a top contract. He's shown he can be a short term solution, but really hasn't shown he can be there for 19 weeks plus the entire offseason.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I just don't see this. Not for a 1-year deal. Nick is going to have to make a decision. He can go and play for big money and face the scrutiny of that contract or he can stay here and forever be the super bowl MVP. IN a "what did you do for me recently" league, his new team will care nothing about his history. I think he stays on a long term deal that pays him good money and he will be the back up and The Man at the same time. He is said to like philly and things did not go well when he left. I'm betting he resigns for $5,000,000-$8,000,000 a year for maybe 2 more years with playing time incentives to make it more.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
              I just don't see this. Not for a 1-year deal. Nick is going to have to make a decision. He can go and play for big money and face the scrutiny of that contract or he can stay here and forever be the super bowl MVP. IN a "what did you do for me recently" league, his new team will care nothing about his history. I think he stays on a long term deal that pays him good money and he will be the back up and The Man at the same time. He is said to like philly and things did not go well when he left. I'm betting he resigns for $5,000,000-$8,000,000 a year for maybe 2 more years with playing time incentives to make it more.
              I think Wentz may also agree to forgo a few million(for Floes) in his next contract, to keep Foles here. There seems to be a real mutual respect between the two.
              Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Not sure if you two are on to something or you're on something but it sure would be nice having both of them. I just can't see how that can play out moneywise even if they both want to give a little. I also don't see teams going 'Reggie White' over him. The birds will get a nice deal but I'd be surprised anyone would give a ransom
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

I'm sorry guys but you just don't get it. What good QB wants to sit on a bench? That's just not how competitors are wired. Don't you see Wentz chomping on the bit to get in every week on the sidelines? You guys played ball when you were young. Did you ever want to sit on a bench? Add in the fact that you are giving away about 2/3 of your salary it's just not going to happen.

Comment

I may be crazy, but I see a 30 year old kid that was so unhappy as a starter that he was going to give it all up. I believe that playing well within a system is as much about the setting and being comfortable as it is how the system operates. Foles plays well in Philly and with the support he has around him. That will be a big factor in his thinking. He may chase the money, but I also think he may stay as a great back up and look at life. I hope I'm right, but I am wrong often.

Comment

Every report says Foles wants to play. His contract is structured so he is given that opportunity. That's why he's due to make $20MM next year. Just remember the course of events. The Eagles exercise the $20MM option, Foles buys his freedom for $2MM and then we'd have to franchise him for roughly $24MM. That means $24MM is tied up on the cap while we try to trade him. The Eagles will have to be ready to make a quick deal. The franchise tag period begins 2/15 and the Eagles will have to be under the cap by the beginning of the 2019 league year which is in early March. While they can easily get under the cap, as it stands now with Foles at $20MM on the books for '19, we are way over the cap. So they have to do quick work to structure contracts and be ready should this scenario carry over into the league year. This could also create discourse with Foles who probably wants to be able to choose where he goes instead of relying on the Eagles (it didn't go so well for him the last time we traded him). This could get sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                        Every report says Foles wants to play. His contract is structured so he is given that opportunity. That's why he's due to make $20MM next year. Just remember the course of events. The Eagles exercise the $20MM option, Foles buys his freedom for $2MM and then we'd have to franchise him for roughly $24MM. That means $24MM is tied up on the cap while we try to trade him. The Eagles will have to be ready to make a quick deal. The franchise tag period begins 2/15 and the Eagles will have to be under the cap by the beginning of the 2019 league year which is in early March. This could also create discourse with Foles who probably wants to be able to choose where he goes instead of relying on the Eagles (it didn't go so well for him the last time we traded him). This could get sticky.
                        That is most likely how it will play out but there is no way that we trade him without him being 100% on board. Lurie and the Eagles will do right by Nick and will send him to the best situation possible (even if it means getting a little less value in return).
                        So what team would think they are a QB away from turning things around? Jacksonville? Miami? Cincinnati (I heard that Nick Taylor is most likely their next HC and might bring Press Taylor as his OC). Giants? PLEASE NO!
                        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                          Every report says Foles wants to play. His contract is structured so he is given that opportunity. That's why he's due to make $20MM next year. Just remember the course of events. The Eagles exercise the $20MM option, Foles buys his freedom for $2MM and then we'd have to franchise him for roughly $24MM. That means $24MM is tied up on the cap while we try to trade him. The Eagles will have to be ready to make a quick deal. The franchise tag period begins 2/15 and the Eagles will have to be under the cap by the beginning of the 2019 league year which is in early March. While they can easily get under the cap, as it stands now with Foles at $20MM on the books for '19, we are way over the cap. So they have to do quick work to structure contracts and be ready should this scenario carry over into the league year. This could also create discourse with Foles who probably wants to be able to choose where he goes instead of relying on the Eagles (it didn't go so well for him the last time we traded him). This could get sticky.
                          From what I have seen his $2,000,000 option gives him the right to void the contract. If the contract is void, I don't believe you can use the franchise and Nick walks.

https://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

"On April 20, 2018, Foles renegotiated his contract and signed a new two year contract worth up to $29 million in base salary. The contract pays Foles a $2 million signing bonus in 2018, which represents a $2 million raise from his original contract. There are $14 million in additional incentives available. The 2019 season, which was a void year, is now an option year with a player void clause. The Eagles can opt into the contract, which carries a $20 million salary, by picking up the option a month before the start of the 2019 league year. The salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year. If the option is exercised Foles may still become a free agent by paying back the $2 million signing bonus he received in 2018 as part of this new contract to void the 2019 league year. The 2020 and 2021 league years will both automatically void prior to the start of the 2020 league year."
                          Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
                            I may be crazy, but I see a 30 year old kid that was so unhappy as a starter that he was going to give it all up. I believe that playing well within a system is as much about the setting and being comfortable as it is how the system operates. Foles plays well in Philly and with the support he has around him. That will be a big factor in his thinking. He may chase the money, but I also think he may stay as a great back up and look at life. I hope I'm right, but I am wrong often.
                            He wasn't starting in Zona Fred. He got buried in the depth chart at number 3 after they were something like 1-7 and hardly saw the field after that. Fisher killed him just like he's killed every QB that he's ever had.

Comment

Tough situation for Howie & Co. Every week the birds win there is less time to work deals. You really don't want to go to Nick (or his agent) about the off season while he is concentrating on this season. One thing I am sure of is they talked about this long ago. Whether his play the last few weeks changed anything I don't know but I would doubt it. You might want to take his desire into consideration but they aren't going to lose millions waiting. Personally I don't think they franchise him. Most players don't take kindly to being franchised but Nick is a little different breed
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X