OT: Sixers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Sixers

Down 3-0 to an undermanned Boston team, with lost of flaws exposed, what are the lessons for the offseason? Embiid is a stud, and will continue to get better if he stays healthy. He is still learning the game. Simmons is a tremendous talent, but he needs to learn how to shoot to get to the next level. I love the fire and skill set of Saric, and think he is at worst a quality 6th man. Think Bobby Jones. Ersan is a good complementary piece, if his price in FA is right. And then what? Huge mistake imo not to give Fultz some run. If his shot comes back he has a chance to be really good. He is quick, creative and incredibly talented. RoCo is a dumb basketball player, pure and simple. Redick has been very good this year, but he is not part of the core going forward. Then you have Korkmaz (too early to tell), Holmes (good depth player) and Belinelli (a fleeting hero yesterday, but somewhat redundant with Ersan).

Team needs to make some moves, and had the draft and cap room ammunition to do it. I have no faith in Colangelo, which to me is the biggest issue.

George, Leonard and James are among the names we will hear this summer. I’d rather explore a trade for Klay Thompson, with his UFA looming next summer. We also need another player capable of creating his own shot and scoring on the inside. Right now we are too dependent on the 3-pointer, which is a dangerous way to live. This is where seeing what Fultz can do would be helpful in assessing offseason needs. Main thing is not to overreact to the Boston fiasco and remember where this team is in its development.
    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Simmons was the opposite of clutch this series. So many stupid mental errors in key spots. He needs to work on that along with his shot.

Embiids biggest goal this summer should be working on getting position down low before he gets the entry pass. He is catching the ball to far from the basket and it leads to turnovers. This is exacerbated further when combined with a primary ball handler (Simmons) that can't shoot. Defenders sag off of Simmons and trap Embiid and this forces turnovers when he puts the ball on the court.

The Sixers need a perimeter threat to run pick and rolls and give Embiid space to work. I'm guessing the Sixers are hoping Fultz can be this guy.

This should be an interesting off season.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

I agree. This team is young and they showed it in this series. Signing a veteran FA and working on the flaws that were exposed this year will go a long way in driving them deeper in the playoffs next year.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I’m sure they’ll sign some free agent, but I also think letting these kids actually grow up and mature will do wonders.

Overreacting to a rookie and a second year players failures in the playoffs is commonplace, I get it. If this were Simmons in his third or fourth year, ok, but were not.

Everyone easy

Comment

Good result tonight. We keep no. 10, and Sactown moves up to no. 2, probably degrading their 2019 pick which goes to Boston.

My fear is that Colangeli will feel too much pressure to make a splash and take the next step, allowing someone to clean our clocks. Declaring that we need another superstar is just stupid. Didn’t Donald Trump teach us not to reveal our military plans - hehe?

DO NOT WANT Leonard - asshole quit on his team to force a trade. What are the chances that could not happen here? And when everyone assumes such a trade would involve Saric, HELL NO. Saric is our Bobby Jones, a winning player on a winning team. Two clutch performances in elimination games and huge progress over his short career. The manner in which he went for 27 back to back is even more impressive. Saric’s perimeter shots were not falling. Instead of sulking and hoisting up mindless 3s (ala RoCo), the kid starts driving the lane relentlessly. Toughness, versatility, smarts - I want him here for the long term.

Keep building organically, esp till we see what we have in Fultz. Experience will propel us to the next level. Unfortunately I have no faith in the Evil Colangeli. Where is Sam when we need him?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
            Good result tonight. We keep no. 10, and Sactown moves up to no. 2, probably degrading their 2019 pick which goes to Boston.

My fear is that Colangeli will feel too much pressure to make a splash and take the next step, allowing someone to clean our clocks. Declaring that we need another superstar is just stupid. Didn’t Donald Trump teach us not to reveal our military plans - hehe?

DO NOT WANT Leonard - asshole quit on his team to force a trade. What are the chances that could not happen here? And when everyone assumes such a trade would involve Saric, HELL NO. Saric is our Bobby Jones, a winning player on a winning team. Two clutch performances in elimination games and huge progress over his short career. The manner in which he went for 27 back to back is even more impressive. Saric’s perimeter shots were not falling. Instead of sulking and hoisting up mindless 3s (ala RoCo), the kid starts driving the lane relentlessly. Toughness, versatility, smarts - I want him here for the long term.

Keep building organically, esp till we see what we have in Fultz. Experience will propel us to the next level. Unfortunately I have no faith in the Evil Colangeli. Where is Sam when we need him?
            Well said- probably because I agree on all points.

I see this team coming into its own as Golden State and Houston and LeBron start to get old quickly. Granted, Boston will still be there.

Ainge is a much better GM than Colangelo that’s just the way it is. If he trades Saric for Leonard- he should be fired.

Comment

We have a Sixers forum! (although I like seeing the discussion)

I will say if the Sixers show interest in Leonard, rest assured Brett Brown and his deep San Antonio ties will understand what went wrong there. IF we continue to pursue, it's crazy to not get him if we have the chance. He's a top 10 player in the league. If health checks out and we can extend him, we're foolish not to get him. He's one of the best defenders in the league and has become an offensive stud. Did I mention he's in his prime years?

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                We have a Sixers forum! (although I like seeing the discussion)
                There’s no one there and the last post was from 5/4

Comment

Get King James and call it a day...........

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Get King James and call it a day...........
                    Here's the full list, I've highlighted only the players I think would be a help in getting past the Warriors- otherwise its not worth it.

Here's the list of free agents after cutting off older guys who noone would want (Zach Randolf, Nowitzki, etc)

Chandler Parsons MEM SF 29 8 UFA 23609631
                    Paul George OKC SF 28 9 UFA 18314532
                    Enes Kanter NYK C 25 8 UFA 17515007
                    Klay Thompson GSW SG 28 8 UFA 17244863
                    Tobias Harris LAC SF 25 8 UFA 16000000
                    Ricky Rubio UTH PG 27 8 UFA 13750000
                    Nikola Vucevic ORL C 27 8 UFA 13250000
                    Kemba Walker CHA PG 27 8 UFA 12000000
                    Austin Rivers LAC SG 27 7 UFA 11825000
                    Alec Burks UTH SG 26 8 UFA 10500000
                    Terrence Ross ORL SG 27 7 UFA 10500000
                    Bojan Bogdanovic IND SF 29 5 UFA 10500000
                    Iman Shumpert SAC SG 27 8 UFA 10000000
                    JaMychal Green MEM PF 27 5 UFA 8200000
                    Karl-Anthony Towns MIN C 22 4 RFA 6430009
                    D'Angelo Russell BKN PG 22 4 RFA 5754495
                    Alex Abrines OKC SG 25 3 RFA 5725000
                    Ben McLemore MEM SG 25 6 UFA 5330000
                    Marcus Morris BOS PF 28 8 UFA 5000000
                    Mike Muscala ATL PF 26 6 UFA 5000000
                    Kristaps Porzingis NYK PF 22 4 RFA 4662524

Which one of these or combination of these FA's should the Sixers sign to get past the WArriors? Because, I think we need more experience than we need different players.
                    Last edited by WCPhan; 05-16-2018, 04:22 PM. Reason: Format was off

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                      Which one of these or combination of these FA's should the Sixers sign to get past the WArriors? Because, I think we need more experience than we need different players.
                      Aiming for the warriors is not the goal. This team won't get past Boston. Remember Boston gets two all-stars back next year. Yes the sixers will hopefully get some production from Fultz plus the #10 pick but I doubt that is greater than Hayward and Irving.

Comment

Ehhh, dunno. Celtics can only put 5 on the floor at same time. If Hayward plays, Tatum or Brown sits. If Kyrie plays Rozier sits. Kyrie is a tremendous offensive talent, but plays no defense, so you’d be giving up some defense. Obviously the return of Hayward and Kyrie helps depth and improves the team, but it doesn’t make Boston unbeatable.

To point to a slightly different example, do the Birds score more than 41 against the Pats if Carson is healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
                          Ehhh, dunno. Celtics can only put 5 on the floor at same time. If Hayward plays, Tatum or Brown sits. If Kyrie plays Rozier sits. Kyrie is a tremendous offensive talent, but plays no defense, so you’d be giving up some defense. Obviously the return of Hayward and Kyrie helps depth and improves the team, but it doesn’t make Boston unbeatable.

To point to a slightly different example, do the Birds score more than 41 against the Pats if Carson is healthy?
                          Boston is deep and the game is 2 hours long.
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I bet Boston's starting lineup in the fall is Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown, Jason Tatum, Gordon Hayward & Al Horford. Marcus Morris, Terry Rozier, Aaron Baynes & Marcus Smart off the bench. That is a deep and talented lineup that I think the Sixers have a large gap with.

Comment

I really enjoyed watching the Sixers in the playoffs. Of course my team did not make it in AGAIN, the Pistons, so I hopped on the Sixers train and it was fun while it lasted. I was kind of thinking for a minute maybe it would be champion Eagles AND champion Sixers, but that didn't last long. Still watching the playoffs, but no favorite now, I do like watching Cleveland lose and even that's questionable now.

Comment

Working...
                              X