X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouts Inc Preview Part 2

They give the Eagles the edge at QB, RB, OL, ST

They give the Cowboys the edge at WR, DL, LB, DB, Coach, and Overall

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Cowboys and Eagles. Now they're back with a second look.

• The Eagles have the No. 1 ranked offense in the NFL, averaging 426 yards a game (297 passing, 129 rushing). Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has thrown nine touchdown passes with only one interception. McNabb is spreading the ball around; his favorite target is tight end L.J. Smith followed closely by receivers Donte' Stallworth, Reggie Brown and running back Brian Westbrook. McNabb has looked confident in the pocket, has made accurate throws and has not forced any throws.

• The unsung players of this Eagles team are on the offensive line. Not only has this unit kept opposing defenders off McNabb (only 9 sacks in 143 pass attempts), but it has opened up holes for Westbrook when Andy Reid decides to run the ball. Westbrook has been able to run the ball outside and inside on his way to averaging close to six yards a carry and three touchdowns. The Eagles' line has a tough job this week against the Cowboys' two-gap 3-4 scheme that make it hard to run up inside.

• Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson might have some options this week in his play-calling with the return of injured corner Lito Sheppard. The Eagles have registered 16 sacks so far this season with 14 coming from the defensive line. With the Eagles' starting secondary intact, Johnson might be more inclined to blitz Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe more than in previous weeks. Johnson will pick and choose when he wants to bring pressure on Bledsoe to get him to throw into coverage.

• The key for the Cowboys is going to be their ability to run efficiently on first and second down to keep pressure off Bledsoe. The Cowboys are averaging 147 yards a game behind the running of Julius Jones and Marion Barber. Jones and Barber are a good one-two punch.

A big factor that could affect the Cowboys' running game is the injury to center Andre Gurode. He had 30 stitches put in his forehead and it remains to be seen if he can wear his helmet let alone take the punishment his head is going to take in the normal course of a game. Backup center Al Johnson did a solid job in relief of Gurode last week, but if Johnson starts he will be going up against two quick defensive tackles in Mike Patterson and Darwin Walker.

• With all the attention that Terrell Owens is going to get, Bledsoe is going to have to find alternate targets to throw to. Terry Glenn has quietly became the No. 1 target for Bledsoe. Glenn should have another solid game against a banged-up Eagles secondary. Bledsoe will make sure tight end Jason Witten has some opportunities to catch the ball as well this weekend. If the Eagles try to take away both Owens and Glenn, then Witten will see a lot of action.

• Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will play the Eagles for the pass because Reid is still passing the ball 70 percent of the snaps in the first half of each game. Zimmer will use a Cover 2-type coverage scheme to get five defenders in the underneath zones with two safeties deep. Look for the Zimmer to change up and utilize some two-deep man under coverages that will force McNabb to make tight throws.

Special Teams
    Eagles returner Dexter Wynn is doing a better job at returning punts than he is returning kickoffs. Wynn is averaging 14 yards per punt return while averaging 20 yards a kickoff return. In fact, the Eagles' kickoff return is next to last in the league. Lucky for the Eagles their offense can move the ball from anywhere. On the other hand, Philly's kick and punt coverage units are among the best in the NFL. The punt team is giving up only 4.4 yards a return while the kickoff team is holding opposing teams to 20 yards a return.

The Cowboys have the best punter in the NFL in Mat McBriar, whose strong leg is averaging over 40 yards a punt. Bill Parcells has to be worried about field goal kicker Mike Vanderjagt after he missed a 26-yarder in Tennessee. Luckily for Vanderjagt he has not missed any game-winning field goals. Backup wide receiver Sam Hurd is doing a good job on special teams when he has been active. Hurd has three solo tackles and has impressed Parcells.

Matchups
    • Cowboys QB Drew Bledsoe vs. Eagles FS Brian Dawkins
    • Cowboys WR Terrell Owens vs. Eagles CB Joselio Hanson
    • Eagles LOT William Thomas vs. Dallas OLB Marcus Spears
    • Eagles MLB Jeremiah Trotter vs. Cowboys RB Julius Jones
    • Eagles C Jamaal Jackson vs. Cowboys NT Jason Ferguson

Scouts' Edge
    There is no love lost between these two teams and the addition of Owens to Dallas' roster makes things even more interesting. The Cowboys' defense is by far the best the Eagles' offense has faced this year, and the 3-4 scheme that the Cowboys run has always given the Eagles problems. The Eagles are banged up on both sides of the ball but more critically on offense. Look for the Cowboys to pull the upset.

Prediction: Cowboys 24, Eagles 23

Prediction: Ouch.

Plausible. Possible. Likely?

Belaboring the obvious: the DL needs to be inside Bledsoe's jersey every time he drops back. That will reduce the efficacy of the WR's.

Comment

"the 3-4 scheme that the Cowboys run has always given the Eagles problems."

Ain't that the truth.

Comment

"the 3-4 scheme that the Cowboys run has always given the Eagles problems."

I hope Jackson solves part of that problem, IMO, it is one of the main reasons that Honey Buns is no longer here.

It's a reasonable article-- I disagree with a couple of the assessments but it will come down to --- get ready for it...............

EXECUTION!!!!!

As most games do!

Comment

That is it, MDFan. Concise and brief. EXECUTION.

Comment

I agree. When the teams are evenly matched, its all about the execution.

From a strictly no football standpoint, the thing that scares me the most is we're undoubtedly the "Good guys" in this game, because of Mr. Owens. Perhaps its my sour mood today, but it always seems in match-ups like this, that the bad guy gets the win.

Comment

Don't forget the most important part about Dallas...

DALLAS SUCKS!!!!!!

Comment

As with all big games, the team that wins the battle of the Offensive and Defensive lines, usually wins. If Bledsoe has time though, I think it could be a bloodbath. He is a completely different QB when he has time to throw. With T O, Glenn and Witten, we won't face a more talented group of receivers this year. This is a tough test!!!!!! Even with Lito back, I don't expect him to be fully up to speed, and I can see the Cowboys trying to exploit that, big time. If the Dline doesn't have a huge game, with 2-3 sacks, minimum, I think it's going to all be on Donny Mac, to match the Cowboys point for point. You can factor in the Emotion intangible, which I think, favors the Eagles, enormously, but even with that, Philly is not a difficult place to play if you can get the fans discouraged. A couple of touchdown's by T O and the Linc could sound like a library.
                I don't want to sound like a doomsayer, but I do think, offensively, that the Cowboys DO have some definite advantages ( with our secondary being pretty questionable right now).
                The Eagles need to ride that crowd for all it's worth. They just need to pour some gas on that fire early. My heart says the Eagles, as I pray for a rattled Bledsoe. But my head thinks, due to our health issues, we are going to struggle. I can't actually pick the Cowboys, so i'll say, Eagles, in a game similiar to the famous BC vs. Miami, where every time Flutie or Kosar touched the ball, they scored
                ( sorry, no faith in our D, in this one)..................Eagles38- Cowboys 35

Comment

This game will be won by the defensive line that can step up the most. If we get early and consitant pressure on Bledsoe, this game is ours. If their D-line can stop our run and force us to pass 75% of the time, we will have a hard time winning.

OD is a great receiver and Glenn is very good in this system, so there is NO WAY we can shut them down,,,,,,even with healthy corners. We have to win the passing game by getting to Bledsoe.....plain and simple. It is time for Bunkley to turn it up another notch and collpse the pocket on a regular basis.
                  Pedro

Comment

Working...
                  X