Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celtics Draft Review

You know, I like C's draft.

Jefferson is a big boy and from what they say, has a real nose for the boards. His body is said to be NBA-ready and judging by the stiffs we have on the frontline (Chris Mihm et al) he should get some good PT.

I really like Delonte West. I'd like it a hell of a lot more if we hadn't used a first rounder on Banks last year. But sticking to what he said going in, Ainge said he'd draft the best players available regardless of position. That was made even more evident by their next pick, Tony Allen.

Allen is a tough on-the-ball defender with good offensive skills. And we sure as hell need some toughness.

West may not be a pure point guard, but he showed a lot of "floor general" in the tourney last year. St. Joe's backcourt consisted of two 1.5's rather than a pure 1 and 2. I think West has good instincts and he did shoot 41% from behind the arc.

That all being said, Ainge is going to have to move some pieces (I mean, how many guards do we have? 5? Ugh). And I'd like to see us get some more toughness on the frontline (read: Sack up & hit the boards).

Oh, and do we have a viable 2nd scorer inside that can take the pressure off of Pierce? No? Sweet. I'm convinced Pierce sent his evil twin, Barney Pierce to suit up for some of those games.

I'm not one that is going to bury Ainge so quickly, however. I mean, let's be honest, did anybody really think we were going to win a title with the team as it was? Please.

Good point, OMiz. The team had to be blown up. Our problem though is just like you said: too many guards. It's like one big Legends Game.

I like the draft, I think Delonte West was a steal and I'm interested to see if Jefferson can crack the starting lineup.

Comment

You guys are going to love Delonte West. He's so smooth and collected on the court. He's a wonderful 6th man type player in the NBA. Watch.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Jameer Nelson

BigPhilly

Do you think Nelson was drafted too high/too low/just right at #20? I liked his game in college, what do you think about his pro potential?

Comment

Like most philly guys, I think Nelson was drafted too low. It's not so much that he was drafted #20 but that there were 2 HS PGs taken before him that shouldn't have been.

About Delonte West, he might turn out to be the better of the two NBA players. I am trying to think of the last time that two players from the same school got drafted but the lower rated player ended up having a better career.... Corey Magette over Langdon?
          Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

Good question, that's something to discuss next time I talk to my dad (a complete basketball junkie who would have an answer to that question right on the top of his head).

I think though that the Maggette-Langdon situation is balanced out by the other Dookie in that draft, Elton Brand.

Comment

Was there another highly rated Dookie in the draft with Jay Williams? Cause I'm thinking that guy has had a better NBA career...
              Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

Re: Jameer Nelson

Originally posted by BostonMac
                BigPhilly

Do you think Nelson was drafted too high/too low/just right at #20? I liked his game in college, what do you think about his pro potential?
                * I was real upset with where NELSON went. I was hoping the SIXERS traded up to grab him at that point.

Pro Game Pluses:

- Unreal Leader and Emotional Player (Tremendous Chemistry)
                - Very Very good Shooter
                - Great Handle
                - Solid Passer
                - Strong as an Ox

Pro Game Weaknesses:

- Height for defending bigger guards
                - Does he need to be the focal point of a team to shine?

Being from Philadelphia I think of Nelson as an Eric Snow type floor general with the shot of a Chauncey Billups.

The only thing that is problematic is his low post defense in the LEAGUE but that is not going to be too bad.

Honestly? I think Denver should have picked him at 10.

Nelson and Lebron would have been terrific.
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                X