X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing Daniels makes no sense

Eagles fire defensive line coach Phillip Daniels
    by Jeff McLane, Updated: January 17, 2020

The Eagles have fired defensive line coach Phillip Daniels, an NFL source said.

Daniels posted a message on Twitter that seemingly acknowledged his departure.

“Thank you to the Eagles organization for 4 great years,” Daniels said. “I’m proud of what we accomplished as a DL and even prouder of what we accomplished this season against all odds. Thank you to Mr. Lurie and entire Eagles Org."

Daniels, 46, spent three seasons as a defensive quality-control coach and assistant defensive line coach for the Eagles before being promoted last offseason. He replaced Chris Wilson, who held the role for three seasons.

A defensive end from 1996-2010 with the Seahawks, Bears, and Redskins, Daniels had no previous coaching experience in the league before joining the Eagles. He took over a unit that in 2018 had recorded more sacks (36.5) than any other defensive line in the NFL. The group, which was besieged by injury, finished with 33 sacks in 2019. The Eagles also finished the season ranked third in stopping the run.

The Eagles now have four coaching positions to fill. Offensive coordinator Mike Groh and wide receivers coach Carson Walch were fired last week. And defensive backs coach Cory Undlin left to take the defensive coordinator’s job with the Lions.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

this one was a bit of a head scratcher? anyone I think can see that the DL was the strength of the unit. Why if you are not changing the scheme would you get rid of him unless there is something outside of football. That happens unfortunately.

I'd add, people are up in arms about Eric Bieniemy not getting a head coaching job but trust me that guy has a lot of personal skeletons in his closet that the media is not telling you about. He has domestic violence in his past and according to my buddy that writes for the Denver Post he hasn't been a boy scout as recently as a few years ago.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

All I know is that I don't want to lose Jeff Stoutland. The guy does a hell of a job with the OL.

Comment

Agreed on that one Pliny. I'd back the brinks truck up to keep Jeff Stoutland. He is the second best thing to come from the Chip Kelly era. Zach Ertz... then Stoutland... OK maybe Lane Johnson and Malcolm Jenkins. But Stoutland has been arguably the best position coach in the league the past 4-5 years.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
          Agreed on that one Pliny. I'd back the brinks truck up to keep Jeff Stoutland. He is the second best thing to come from the Chip Kelly era. Zach Ertz... then Stoutland... OK maybe Lane Johnson and Malcolm Jenkins. But Stoutland has been arguably the best position coach in the league the past 4-5 years.
          And he's probably the biggest reason Duce will not get the job. Stoutland is responsible for all the blocking and protection schemes in the offense. There isn't a hell of a lot a running back coach has to do really other than coach fundamentals. He doesn't have much to do with scheming.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

If there is little to do, then you hire Duce, make him happy and forge on. Why the need for a name guy ?
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I thought they were going after Brentson Buckner after firing Daniels! That guy did an amazing job with the Raiders DL especially with all those young guys they had.

Comment

Working...
              X