Trouble in Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 8/02/11 Update...

The player rep for Osi Umenyiora has spoken with 21 teams about a potential trade for the disgruntled pass rusher.

"It's not going to be long now," the agent said. "Just trying to convince them to give up that elusive first-round pick. Still working on it." That's easier said that done, especially since Umenyiora is believed to be seeking a contract in the range of Charles Johnson's six-year, $76 million deal. We don't see any team giving up a first-round pick or $10 million a year for Umenyiora.
    Newsday's Tom Rock reports DE Osi Umenyiora will be traded by the end of the week.

Newsday's articles are behind a pay wall, so the details are unclear. The Seahawks, Ravens, Broncos, Chargers, and Rams were named as suitors in a previous report, and we've also seen the Browns mentioned as a candidate. Umenyiora's agent has had contract with 21 teams. It's still hard to imagine any team meeting the Giants' first-round asking price.

Comment

8/03/11 Update...

A league sources tells the Baltimore Sun that the asking price for Giants DE Osi Umeyiora has dropped to a second-round pick.

The same source confirms that five teams are in the hunt, including the Ravens and Patriots. Several members of the Ravens front office are urging GM Ozzie Newsome to pull the trigger, but he's reportedly concerned about Umenyiora's history of hip and knee injuries. Newsome also has salary cap issues to consider with Ray Rice and Joe Flacco in line for extensions. Signing Haloti Ngata to a long-term deal would helping free up space, lowering his 2011 salary. NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora adds the Falcons to the list of teams interested in Umenyiora at the right price.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
        8/03/11 Update...
        Get the bastard outta New York! Hopefully to the AFC.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Agreed 60 - as long as it's NOT the Patriots! They have enough talent. Let's see how he does in Kansas City.....
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

8/03/11 Updates...

The Giants informed Osi Umenyiora and his agent Wednesday that they are no longer permitted to seek a trade partner.

Umenyiora's agent was unable to find a team willing to pay the Giants' asking price, which was reportedly still a first-round pick despite a Baltimore Sun report to the contrary. The Giants hope this decision "nips the distraction in the bud," though it could have the opposite effect. Umenyiora has made it clear that he wants a trade or the long-term extension that was promised.
            A source close to Osi Umenyiora predicts the disgruntled pass rusher may claim he's not healthy enough to practice after being denied a trade.

As we suspected, this saga isn't over yet. Though Umenyiora has yet to practice, coach Tom Coughlin confirmed it has nothing to do with the 29-year-old's offseason hip surgery. The Giants are expected to challenge Umenyiora if he sits out, and the NFLPA is "watching this mess closely" to ensure that there's no punishment.
            According to ESPN New York's Ohm Youngmisuk, disgruntled Giants DE Osi Umenyiora has been "excused" from Wednesday practice.

Youngmisuk reports Umenyiora was told by GM Jerry Reese to go home and "clear his head," but he still showed up for the beginning of practice. It's unclear if Reese changed his tune, or Umenyiora simply defied him. This is a melodrama with no end in sight.
            Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

This keeps getting better and better!

8/04/11 Update...

Osi Umeyiora was reportedly "fuming" Wednesday morning when he discovered the Giants had pulled his permission to seek a trade.

"He is sure they could've traded him," one source close to Umenyiora told the New York Daily News. "They had a lot more interest in him than they thought they would." In addition to the half-dozen teams already mentioned as potential trade partner, beat writer Ralph Vacchiano reports the Bears "jumped in late." Umenyiora isn't going to be practicing anytime soon even in the face of fines or a suspension "Then it becomes a matter for the union," said a source, "and that's when it could get really ugly."

Comment

OMG, this guy is a complete joke.

Giants RE Osi Umenyiora now claims he is sitting out training camp because of a "sore knee," and the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that the injury may require surgery.

Umenyiora is reportedly dealing with a meniscus cartilage problem. It's no secret that he wants a new contract or a trade, so Umenyiora may be milking the injury to peeve the Giants. If he indeed needs knee surgery, Umenyiora will be even harder to trade. Jason Pierre-Paul is now working as a starter in training camp, with Mathias Kiwanuka back at strong-side linebacker.

Comment

Wow, what a fiasco!
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                    Wow, what a fiasco!

It just keeps getting better Juk!!!

Comment

Man, looking at the NYG, Cowboys and Redskins dysfunction is almost as much fun as playing them.

Comment

Yes, thanks Osi! The Giants used to be the only other team in the NFC East that I worried about because they didn't have much drama.

Here's the latest!

The New York Daily News believes it's a "good bet" that RE Osi Umenyiora's knee pain "would suddenly go away" if the Giants restructured his contract.

In other words, the meniscus injury isn't serious. GM Jerry Reese spoke with Umenyiora's agent Friday, but the sides remain in a standoff. Though the Giants were willing to discuss additional incentives at one point, Umenyiora wants the additional money guaranteed. Umenyiora would, however, be amenable to incentives if the Giants were willing to take the final year off his contract to make him a free agent next season.

Comment

More Good News!!

@NYPost_SchwartzPaul Schwartz

Prince Amukamara fractures fifth metatarsal in left foot. Needs surgery, Out indefinitely. There goes his rookie season. #NYG

Comment

...and still more ants show up at the Giants' picnic: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/R...ersonal-issues

Tight end Ben Patrick said that he quit the New York Giants less than a week after signing a one-year contract to "handle some personal issues and some family issues," according to reports Sunday.The former Arizona Cardinals player put pen to paper in New York on Monday and was expected to fill a role within the Giants offense, an opportunity that got larger Friday when the Giants in free agency lost Kevin Boss to the Los Angeles Raiders. But Patrick has since informed the team that he no longer wants to play football. He was placed on the reserve/retired list, the New York Post reported late Saturday. After returning to his base in Arizona, the 26 year old explained his reasons behind his shock decision. Patrick, who grew up in Savannah, Ga., told his hometown paper, the Savannah Morning News, "I've got some issues that I need to work through, and, obviously, that much of a distraction wouldn't allow me to perform and prepare in football like I need to. I appreciate everybody's support but also ask for a little privacy until these matters are resolved."
                            Yet Patrick suggested his time out of the game would not be permanent.
                            "I'm just sorting through some things and figuring out my next move," he added. "Hopefully, I'll be able to return [to the NFL] sooner rather than later."
                            Patrick spent five years with the Cardinals, and his departure made an already-thin position at the Giants nearly devoid of NFL-caliber players.

Comment

Young guy to walk away. I can see him trying to make a ocmeback somewhere down the road but you have to be all in to play in the NFL and it sure doesn't sound like he wants to play.
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/08/...-offer-to-osi/

The Giants’ odd offer to Osi

I remember back in 2008, the Cowboys signed Pacman Jones to a contract that included incentive bonuses if Pacman had a certain number of interceptions. I can still remember debating with Cowboys fans that giving a player incentives for a statistic like interceptions was completely counter-productive, as it might cause that player to constantly gamble instead of playing disciplined defense. And to tempt a player like Pacman Jones with that kind of deal? Really? I still believe to this day that those kinds of contracts are dumb. Today, Adam Schefter tweeted that the Giants offered additional incentives to the disgruntled/crybaby Osi Umenyiora that would kick in if he gets 13.5 sacks this season.

Quick – Think of a selfish NFL player… any selfish NFL player. Umenyiora popped in your head, right? OK, that’s not really fair since we’re already talking about him, but would anyone argue that Umenyiora isn’t selfish? Is he really going to maintain his gap assignments? Is he going to play team defense? Or is he going to simply go after the QB on every play? I’m not sure I’d be inclined to find out if I were Jerry Reese.

If you’re going to pay the guy, pay him. If you’re going to trade him, then trade him. But incentives for sacks? I don’t get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X