Worst Football Weekend For Me Ever :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Football Weekend For Me Ever :(

I can handle my teams losing. It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to lose a game that you are up big and should win. This happened to me 3 times this weekend.

First, North Texas is my alma mater. They have an outstanding G5 team (CUSA) and have blown out all 4 opponents, including Arkansas in Fayetteville. They were favored in ever remaining game this year and there was talk of them going undefeated and possibly getting into a New Years day bowl. I attended the game in Denton on saturday and it was basically their first ever sellout. They went up 21-6 and it looked like another blowout. Then in the 2nd quarter through the rest of the game, it was a complete team meltdown with a ton of bad luck thrown in. Fumbles, critical penalties, 2 FG attempts hitting the crossbar and injuries to their 2 most important players. They end up losing 29-27 as the game winning FG was blocked. It was one of the most crushing losses I have ever experienced and their dream season is now toast (especially with the injuries).

But hey, at least my childhood favorite (Penn State) was up 13-0 over the most hated Buckeyes. But. Ohio State scores a late TD (2 min left) to take the lead. They leave Penn State plenty of time for a game winning FG right ?. Nope, OSU pulls it out late 27-26.

This leaves the Eagle game on sunday. And, we all know about that one. That last drive by Tennesse was absolutely excruciating with the four 4th down conversions. When the birds were up 17-3, I thought it was in the bag.

The 3 football games early:

North Texas leads 21-6
    Penn State leads 13-0
    Eagles lead 17-3

The Finals:
    North Texas loses 29-27
    Penn State loses 27-26
    Eagles lose 26-23

I went to bed last night just crushed like I had lost my best friend. I was exhausted due to the stressful nature of all the losses. There is nothing worse than thinking your going to win a game and then have it fall apart. It's worse when this happens 3 times in a row.

Of course, my wife thinks that I need therapy from getting upset over dumb football games. She is probably right. I thought that after the Birds won the Super Bowl, I would breeze through this season and just enjoy the games.

Sorry for venting. I had to do it somewhere and at least you guys can relate on some level

I hear you. Being a dedicated sports fan is difficult. This was not a good weekend. I am not a huge PSU fan but anyone who plays OSU gets my support. Same thing for NotreDame as I was a weekend Stanford fan. My alma mater got creamed 63 10 at home.

The debacle of o/t yesterday really ruined my evening. I was angry the whole night.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      I can handle my teams losing. It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to lose a game that you are up big and should win. This happened to me 3 times this weekend.

First, North Texas is my alma mater. They have an outstanding G5 team (CUSA) and have blown out all 4 opponents, including Arkansas in Fayetteville. They were favored in ever remaining game this year and there was talk of them going undefeated and possibly getting into a New Years day bowl. I attended the game in Denton on saturday and it was basically their first ever sellout. They went up 21-6 and it looked like another blowout. Then in the 2nd quarter through the rest of the game, it was a complete team meltdown with a ton of bad luck thrown in. Fumbles, critical penalties, 2 FG attempts hitting the crossbar and injuries to their 2 most important players. They end up losing 29-27 as the game winning FG was blocked. It was one of the most crushing losses I have ever experienced and their dream season is now toast (especially with the injuries).

But hey, at least my childhood favorite (Penn State) was up 13-0 over the most hated Buckeyes. But. Ohio State scores a late TD (2 min left) to take the lead. They leave Penn State plenty of time for a game winning FG right ?. Nope, OSU pulls it out late 27-26.

This leaves the Eagle game on sunday. And, we all know about that one. That last drive by Tennesse was absolutely excruciating with the four 4th down conversions. When the birds were up 17-3, I thought it was in the bag.

The 3 football games early:

North Texas leads 21-6
      Penn State leads 13-0
      Eagles lead 17-3

The Finals:
      North Texas loses 29-27
      Penn State loses 27-26
      Eagles lose 26-23

I went to bed last night just crushed like I had lost my best friend. I was exhausted due to the stressful nature of all the losses. There is nothing worse than thinking your going to win a game and then have it fall apart. It's worse when this happens 3 times in a row.

Of course, my wife thinks that I need therapy from getting upset over dumb football games. She is probably right. I thought that after the Birds won the Super Bowl, I would breeze through this season and just enjoy the games.

Sorry for venting. I had to do it somewhere and at least you guys can relate on some level
      My advice is to drink heavily.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm with you. Watching PS blow leads twice in the game was infuriating; add in the fact it was to those bastard buckeyes and I was nuts. Then the birds let TN march back into the game and then march down with two 4th down conversions to win the game.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          My advice is to drink heavily.
          I did. Followed by a long nap.

I forgot to mention the Cowboys coming back to win

Comment

Pliny,
            I don't know how old you are but you've got to be younger than me, simply because most Earthlings are. From my 20's thru my late 60's, any Eagles' loss would bother me for a couple days and a near total cluster fuck, with clear negative implications for the entire season like yesterday's debacle, would torture me beyond all reason and have my wife hiding all sharp implements and the hemlock.

You got hit with a "three bagger". That has got to really suck at any age. As recently as last season, yesterday's vomit worthy loss, in which the people (players and coaches) who earned their salary can probably be counted on one hand, would have made me unfit for human consumption for at least 24 hours.

But strangely, I wasn't angry at the end of the game yesterday...just very, very disappointed. And reminded for the 600th time, what it's all too often like to be an Eagles fan.

So why merely deep disappointment in stead of raw, consuming anger? In my case at least, perspective did not come with age. It came with last February 4th. I would really love for the Birds to be a dynasty...a dominating force for the next 10 years with multiple rings. But their failures will no longer drive me crazy. I can live... and die with them. I got my "One".

PSU's loss to OSU actually made me more angry. I never had a problem with Ohio State until that soulless, phony, lying, hypocrite piece of human garbage Meyer became their coach...and now the disgust is compounded by the unprincipled, snakes that make up the Ohio State administration who invented "a phony investigation" to let the piece human garbage toally off the hook when he should have been summarily fired.

Fuck them, fuck Meyer and FUCK DALLAS!
            Hang in there. It could be worse and probably will be if history teaches us anything.

Comment

I did. Followed by a long nap.

I forgot to mention the Cowboys coming back to win
              It always works for me Pliny (at the time anyway).

Comment

Due to work considerations, I've had to watch the Bucs, Colts, and Titans games sober. It's excruciating.

Watching this team sober sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                  Due to work considerations, I've had to watch the Bucs, Colts, and Titans games sober. It's excruciating.

Watching this team sober sucks.
                  I wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                    So why merely deep disappointment in stead of raw, consuming anger? In my case at least, perspective did not come with age. It came with last February 4th. I would really love for the Birds to be a dynasty...a dominating force for the next 10 years with multiple rings. But their failures will no longer drive me crazy. I can live... and die with them. I got my "One".
                    :
                    Yeah. I really thought that things would change for me after the Super Bowl win Tino. I guess not.

I was abused by the football Gods during my childhood. There is no other explanation.

Comment

Yeah. I really thought that things would change for me after the Super Bowl win Tino. I guess not.

I was abused by the football Gods during my childhood. There is no other explanation.
                      Suck it up snowflake--- I have been an Eagles, Phillies fan for over 60 years--- Do you know what that is like?????

What you're going through is just part of the price of admission!!!!!

(Seriously sorry you have had a bad weekend---- but after awhile you really do get used to it happening every once in awhile)

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I wouldn't know.
                        Believe me when I say this: Watching the Eagles drunk is better for your health than watching them sober.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                          Believe me when I say this: Watching the Eagles drunk is better for your health than watching them sober.

At least for me, the problem with that approach is that the next day I would suffer from both the loss and the hangover.

Comment

It seems like every year I have the football weekend from hell. It’s out of the way for this season. I hope.

Comment

Working...
                            X