2005 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Draft

My Dad and I got into a conversation after the big win yesterday about the 2005 draft. I told him I think it was the best draft this team has had since I can remember. He wasn't so sure. Anyhow taking a closer look at this Heckert and Reid really deserve some credit here for that draft which was GREAT

1.(31) Mike Patterson - Starter, really coming on this year. Potential Pro Bowler

2. (35)( Reggie Brown - Starter , All he does is catch Td's

3.(63) Matt McCoy - Starter, looked like a bust last year, this year he knows the defnese, his speed has really helped stop the short passing games to the backs. When he went out yesterday, Dallas started to screen a little.

4.(77) Ryan Moats - reserve, never will be a starting running back in this league has a chance to be a good change of pace back. Still learning the neuances of blocking.

5. (102)Sean Considine - Reserve who plays alot in the nickle, key special teams player, Most likely will start next year. This kid is really coming on made some nice tackles yesterday

6. (126) Todd Heremens - Starter and a good one. still learning the guard position but what a steal in round 4

7. (146) Trent Cole - the best pick of the entire draft, six sacks this year on his way to a pro bowl appearance. Plays the run well.

8. (172) Scott Young - does not impress me much but he is the top offensive line reserve this year and for a late fifth round pick he is fine

9. (211) Calvin Armstrong - I liked this kid last year thought he was a talent but he never materilized this year and was cut

10. (247) Kenyota Marshal - flashed a little last year, could not beat out a very deep field to make the team this year

11. (252) David Bergeron - never made the team. Flyer type pick

Overall though they get five starters out of this draft with the possibly of a sixth in Considine. And these are guys who were just given the starters job, they all earned it and they all are playing well.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

taz - not sure I can argue. The '05 draft looks real good at a time when most people say "It's too early to tell".

Then again - it's tough to argue against the '02 draft:

Westbrook, Lito, Sheldon, M. Lewis

Comment

That draft class only has 21 games of experience. Yet already we have five current starters, two guys with clear Pro Bowl potential, and another guy who appear to be a future starter. After 21 games! Who knows how much more potential will emerge after a couple more seasons. This draft sets a foundation for years to come, and one that was much-needed after the poor depth of the '03/'04 drafts.

Comment

I think the 2006 will be even better.

Blunkney looks to be a long term starter with Patterson. He might have not played yesterday that much, but it was mostly because Walker was playing so well.

Justice, Giles, Avant and Ramsey have shown flashes of potential in preseason and in the early stages. Ramsey is probably the one to contribute early, and can only get better. Next year, I expect Giles and Justice to crack the OL, and eventually Avant to become the team's slot receiver. And, while Gocong hasn't shown anything, I think the kid can become a player (especially since McCoy seems like one).

If it pans out as it supposed to be, you are looking at at least 3 starters (Blunkney, Justice, Avant) three possible quality backups (Gocong, Giles and Ramsey) and a POSSIBLE punt/kickoff returner in Bloom.

Not bad, eh?
        "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

i love that 05 draft. especially since McCoy has come on -- I'm really loving how good a job he's doing shedding blocks and holding his own at the point of attack.

assuming considine steps in, that's six starters. wow.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Agree with the majority of the original post and feel it is far too early to tell about '06. Disagree with McCoy looking like a bust last year. People want drafted players to be an instant success. And I guess I also look at top 15 drafted players needing to fill a starters role the first year but I don't think players not starting their first year look like a bust.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Considine's open field tackle on Julius Jones was sick yesterday.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
              X