Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most glaring issue is correctable (in theory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most glaring issue is correctable (in theory)

In my mind, the single biggest problem is the offensive gameplan and playcalling. Amazingly this is (theoretically) correctable.

You have a makeshift offensive line due to the loss of Peters and Kelce, and a QB that makes a several awful decisions every game. How can you limit the impact of these problems...hey Andy, put in tape of the Giants game. "Yes," you say ... "but we almost lost that game." True, but the Giants are the defending SB champs. The running and passing game looked good.

When given manageable plays (runs mixed with short passes) this offense can move the ball. The 7-step drops should only get mixed in after establishing some rhythm. But these guys will never change.

Of course there are many issues. But I don't think they can be fixed right now:
    - The OL. I give Howie a pass given the injury situation. When you lose two key guys it's going to be tough to deal.

- The QB play. Vick is what he is. He stands in there, gets killed, and drills open WRs ... and then follow it up with a horrible, drive-killing INT or fumble. Foles can come in and learn, but it will not look pretty with him either. (I used to think I wanted Andy to stay and groom Foles, but we need a regime change desperately or it will be more of the same awful playcalling that will ruin Foles)

- Defensive coordinator. I don't know how you fix this today. I guess Bowles would be better. He doesn't have great safeties so maybe this isn't his fault. But I don't see how a mid-season change really fixes the defensive philosophy. This team generates no pressure and seems to be reverting to 2011.

I'm just ranting and still blowing off steam. The list could go on and on but apathy is starting to kick in.

Let them finish the season. Then clean house.

Comment

You're right about the playcalling fly, it sucks. It has sucked for about 5 years now, so it will also suck for the rest of the season. Babin is the total defininition of a one trick pony and is making himself useless. Vick is what he is, but at least could win if given a shot not to carry the whole team. Reid is now also totally useless at this point. The Eagles are 3-3 but could just as easily be 0-6 or 6-0. The whole league was nuts today as the dogs covered just about every game. So what does all this mean? I think it all comes down to coaching as to who wins this thing, and I think that we're holding the short straw. If Reid doesn't blow this whole thing up over the bye and go to basic football over the bye we're doomed. With or without Vick, that's the anwer IMO.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Coming into this season I expected our pass rush to be flat out deadly. It was one of the sure things I counted on. Our pass rush stinks. Period. What the hell happened?
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Looking at how Vick is running the O and I'm thinking that he isn't and for the most part doesn't run it correctly.When he does a 3 step drop he often holds too long. A 3 step is step,step step with a hard plant and throw,but I don't see that very often. It's more like step ,step,step and hop step and throw.How can you get timing down if you aren't throwing the ball when you are supposed to.Generally the receiver is doing a dig,turn or break on that third step and looking for the ball.LBers and Dbs are getting a hop steps worth of time to close on the ball which IMO account for all the close calls and tight throwing lanes.When he's planting and throwing correctly,IMO those are the successful drives.The 5 and 7 step drops he is running are totally Michael attempting to do his thing either by design or because the play has been blown up. Either way,the only success we will have is if Michael is on his game and right now IMO he's just a mediocre QB making a 50-50 split in the decision making process.Vick when he was a successful runner had fast and overdrive gears and IMO right now he doesn't have overdrive anymore. So Micheal the superior athlete and avg QB can't get by on natural talent and needs to be a QB .He doesn't have the footwork or the ability to read defenses and at this point I doubt you can change him into a true QB. So we are stuck with a team that will shock some good teams and come out and look like a huge ,steaming pile of shit against teams they should kill. At some point we need to go to the guy who can run the O,make reads and put his teammates in a position to help make plays,this chinese fire drill shit needs to end.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
            Coming into this season I expected our pass rush to be flat out deadly. It was one of the sure things I counted on. Our pass rush stinks. Period. What the hell happened?
            Babin is horrible and teams are controling him with 1 blocker,the opposite end is getting the extra attention which means no one is getting there. After watching Cox motoring around the field,I'm thinking he might need to be on the end. We have 6 interchangable ends who are exactly alike.We need a changeup or 2 to mix in with the fastballs.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Clean House. I want Vick, Reid, Marty, and Castillo gone. Only thing to keep me interested this year is if Foles plays. Otherwise, there is just no life, same thing over and over. Reid doesn't seem to be able to re-invent himself...same play calls over and over and lack of commitment to the run. No creativity in the running game.

As for Babin, I was yelling that Hunt should be in there at the game yesterday because Jason was doing zilch. I thought Hunt might actually get some push. Amazing how overrated our D line is every preseason.

You know I love to blame Vick, and he was part of it, but the play-calling yesterday was atrocious.

Comment

The Eagles find something that does work, they quit doing it. Most teams keep doing it until the opposition stops it. It's because we are smarter than the others that we do the things we do.

Comment

most glaring issue is our coach hates the run game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                    Let them finish the season. Then clean house.
                    BINGO. This is the only thing that is keeping me interested in this team at all anymore.
                    FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

just found this on the internet and thought I'd pass it on

Comment

The mot glaring issue we have is not so easily correctable, and that is the coaching staff. Which means we are likely stick with this for the duration.

This is back to back seasons with a talented, yet underachieving roster. Where do you place the blame for that? The players? Sure. But you have to look higher up the chain as well. We may have wanted to believe that last season was an abberration........still think so?
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

The mot glaring issue we have is not so easily correctable, and that is the coaching staff. Which means we are likely stick with this for the duration.

This is back to back seasons with a talented, yet underachieving roster. Where do you place the blame for that? The players? Sure. But you have to look higher up the chain as well. We may have wanted to believe that last season was an abberration........still think so?
                          Damn you Fresh ... you cannot disagree with me! So i suppose if I say it's playcalling and gameplanning, it should theoretically be correctable. But when you consider the coaching staff... you are right. These guys won't change.

Comment

LOL! That is what I am afraid of, after all this time. This is not a problem of a few short weeks, or even this season. It goes BAAAAAACK. My confidence in major philosophical changes and different strategies with THIS group of coaches is at an all time low.

Comment

LOL! That is what I am afraid of, after all this time. This is not a problem of a few short weeks, or even this season. It goes BAAAAAACK. My confidence in major philosophical changes and different strategies with THIS group of coaches is at an all time low.
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                              X