Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A whole different technique for the D line this year

The Most Important Technique In Schwartz’s Scheme

How new defensive line coach Chris Wilson is making a difference.

By Josh Paunil | August 2, 2016 at 10:00 am

image: http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/...m-Schwartz.jpg
    Beau Allen and Jim Schwartz. (Jeff Fusco)
    Beau Allen and Jim Schwartz. (Jeff Fusco)

On the first play of 11-on-11s, Vinny Curry lined up opposite of Lane Johnson at left defensive end. When the ball was snapped, he moved around the edge so quickly Johnson barely got a hand on him. If defenders were allowed to hit the quarterback, Curry would have surely had a sack, and perhaps even a forced fumble.

This happened on Saturday, but Curry — and his teammates — make similar plays every day during training camp. The 28-year-old’s explosiveness is already well-known — that’s a big reason the Eagles signed him to a five-year contract extension worth $47.25 million in February. But through the first week of training camp, and even during OTAs, Curry looks noticeably quicker.

“I just feel like it’s a product of working with [defensive line] coach [Chris] Wilson,” Curry said. “He’s taking what people do in our room good, tweaking it up a little bit and putting finesse on it, but then also still teaching us different things to make us even better to take us to the next level.”

What has particularly helped Curry, as well as the rest of the defensive line, is what Wilson calls the “launch.” Rather than simply taking a step when the ball is snapped, Wilson is teaching the defensive line to explode through their hips, or as Mike Martin puts it, “jumping out of your hips.”

According to several defensive linemen, the launch technique helps them be more explosive and to get upfield quicker, which is what Jim Schwartz’s scheme is built around.

“I gain more ground faster off the ball,” Alex McCalister said. “It’s for everybody, but it especially helps pass rushers because you get that big push, you get your second step in the ground faster and you’re moving quicker. Coming off that edge, the launch is everything.”

Sponsored Content
    Suggested: Best of Philly Soirée Preview: Stella Artois Airstream
    Brandon Graham called getting off of the ball “half the battle,” which is why he thinks the new technique will bolster the entire unit’s play. Connor Barwin referenced how the launch is what makes blockers react to the defensive line, which is integral to what Schwartz wants to do.

In the 3-4 two-gapping scheme the Eagles used to run, the defensive line was focused on absorbing blocks and preventing offensive linemen from reaching the linebackers. Now, Schwartz wants them to not just occupy the gap, but penetrate through the offensive line, similar to what Seattle and Atlanta does.

According to Jason Kelce, there’s “no question” the defensive line is getting off the ball quicker and making life more difficult for the offensive line.

“It’s a completely different philosophy,” Kelce said. “You had a 3-4 two-gapping philosophy, which we ran the last three years, in which they are truly almost mirroring the person in front of them. They’re reading the offensive line as the play goes — no penetration — and it’s more set to read the play and to hold the line of scrimmage.

“Now, they’re not reading the offensive linemen at all. They don’t care. They’re just designed to be explosive and quick as possible to get on the other side of the line of scrimmage and screw the blocking schemes up.”

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...zDRaj51qIAQ.99
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what should be the best part of our team this season.

Oh, and Curry gets my tag as likely nthe next jersey that I am going to want.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I'm with you on the jersey fresh. Curry may be the under rated hero this year.
      As for the technique. I agree, I understand, I can see the appeal but... a well timed run can expose the DLineman. While the DLineman is exploding past the OL the RB is getting to the run of the mill exposed LBs. Not saying that will happen, and yes the occasional tackle behind the line of scrimmage will occur, but I will temper the enthusiasm until we see that the LBs have some skill. So my question is how easily can a quality OC beat this
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Right on NoDak...also a good QB using his hot reads and/or quick slants/outs like we've seen the last few seasons could kill us too. That is why in conjunction with an effective pass rush, our coverage by the LB and CB has to be rock solid. It does not have to last for more than 3-4 seconds that allows the rush to get home, but there cannot be free releases and easy conversions all day long like we've seen recently. The D must get off the field on 3rd down much more consistently.
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

That is why Jim has been talking about having to have his dbs play physical at the line e, and challenging ginger the receivers. If they can't do that, then they won't play. It all makes sense........just hope we have the horses to pull it off.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Agreed
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I always prefer it when a defensive scheme calls for them to attack and play downhill.

Comment

Working...
              X