McCoy

MLB:

Trotter
    Gaither

SAM:

Gocong
    Bradley
    Daniels

Sorry, VFK, i've stopped counting Greg Richmond.

That's the depth chart in name only, IMO. Should Gocong fall on his face, my guess is that JJ quickly shifts Spikes to SAM and Gaither back to WILL, before he starts Bradley. Unless Bradley really shines in camp, OR, unless Trotter's decline accelerates and JJ can't afford to move Gaither around.

It's going to be hard for JJ to keep Gaither on the sideline on 1st and 2nd down in this arrangement. He's too good a player. Gocong is going to have to earn his spot on the field on 1st and 2nd down, or JJ will shift to Spikes at SAM, Gaither at WILL and Trotter at MLB, and bring in Gocong to rush the passer on 3rd down.

You've got to keep your 3 best LB's on the field, and Gaither is definitely one of the three, IMO. But right now, Gaither appears to be the odd man out.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

We'll find out soon enough if Gocong or Bradley will play this year. Early in training camp, if you hear JJ say that he's pleased w/ either of them, that means that they're smart enough to pick up the system and will likely see playing time this year. If you hear JJ say that they're a little confused, are having trouble mastering the playbook, anything along those lines - they won't play much at all, except special teams.

If you know the signals and can be in the right spot at the right time, JJ will let you play.

Comment

Re: LB depth chart

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
      WILL:

Spikes
      McCoy

MLB:

Trotter
      Gaither

SAM:

Gocong
      Bradley
      Daniels

Sorry, VFK, i've stopped counting Greg Richmond.

That's the depth chart in name only, IMO. Should Gocong fall on his face, my guess is that JJ quickly shifts Spikes to SAM and Gaither back to WILL, before he starts Bradley. Unless Bradley really shines in camp, OR, unless Trotter's decline accelerates and JJ can't afford to move Gaither around.

It's going to be hard for JJ to keep Gaither on the sideline on 1st and 2nd down in this arrangement. He's too good a player. Gocong is going to have to earn his spot on the field on 1st and 2nd down, or JJ will shift to Spikes at SAM, Gaither at WILL and Trotter at MLB, and bring in Gocong to rush the passer on 3rd down.

You've got to keep your 3 best LB's on the field, and Gaither is definitely one of the three, IMO. But right now, Gaither appears to be the odd man out.
      LT-

No problem!

I think Richmond's time has unfortunately run out too...

I agree with your depth chart and analysis...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I also agree with your depth chart, LT, and I agree that presently Gaither is the odd man out - even though he is certainly one of our three best LB's. I am hoping that Omar has strengthened himself in this offseason, and has a great TC to take the Mike position away from Trotter.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

The two passing comments from last year that I remember about Gaither were that he had done a good job of picking up the MIKE position and that he was becoming an outspoken team leader. If he adds 5 or 10 lbs of muscle he just might kick Trotter into retirement.

Comment

today's Bowen column putting the heat on Trotter and Sheldon Brown makes it pretty clear that Gaither is probably the backup MLB in name only at this point.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Nothing happens till TC shakes things out,, IMO the rest is nothing more than off season hot stove talk.((I dunno, what do you call off season football talk?))

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                Nothing happens till TC shakes things out,, IMO the rest is nothing more than off season hot stove talk.((I dunno, what do you call off season football talk?))
                ...hot (grid)iron talk?

Comment

If Gaither is ready to take the next step and man the MLB spot for 5 years, I'm happy with him being "odd man out" as a starter during what may be Trotter's farewell tour of duty. It's not like he won't see the field plenty on many JJ packages.

Comment

Working...
                  X