No announcement yet.

Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say that I download a lot of songs and if i like them, I'll buy the album. I have a bunch of albums that I've bought that have yet to be played in a CD player. I simply wanted to get the artist their money. I also will do this more often for small artists.
    I'm the same way. I figure that I may not always obeying the letter of the law, but I'm usually obeying the spirit. If I like an artist, especially a smaller one, I'll buy their album(s) to support their work. But I'm going to taste test a little bit first.

I've only heard a couple of tracks off of Yorke's solo album, and so far they're not grabbing me. It took me a while to get into most Radiohead stuff, though, so I'm not giving up on it just yet.

I'm curious to hear Wolf Parade - I've been listening to the Arcade Fire a lot recently and am intrigued to hear how they compare.
    The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleIggle
      I must say that I download a lot of songs and if i like them, I'll buy the album. I have a bunch of albums that I've bought that have yet to be played in a CD player. I simply wanted to get the artist their money. I also will do this more often for small artists.
      I'm the same way. I figure that I may not always obeying the letter of the law, but I'm usually obeying the spirit. If I like an artist, especially a smaller one, I'll buy their album(s) to support their work. But I'm going to taste test a little bit first.

I've only heard a couple of tracks off of Yorke's solo album, and so far they're not grabbing me. It took me a while to get into most Radiohead stuff, though, so I'm not giving up on it just yet.

I'm curious to hear Wolf Parade - I've been listening to the Arcade Fire a lot recently and am intrigued to hear how they compare.
      I hear you on things taking awhile sometimes with Radiohead. Hell - I'm finally coming around on Amnesiac. That's only like 5 years! Anyway - Yorke's stuff is very mellow but it is starting to captivate me.

As for Wolf Parade - there is definitely a parallel to the Arcade Fire. At this point - for me - it doesn't quite stand up to them but I'll give it more of a listen.

Comment

Sufjan Stevens is playing the Tower on September 28th. Tickets go on sale on Saturday. I'm amped to see this show.

Comment

Sufjan Stevens is playing the Tower on September 28th. Tickets go on sale on Saturday. I'm amped to see this show.

Comment

I've been listening a lot to Eraser lately. (and paradoxically Dead Prez) At the end of the first song, I always think he's gonna go into "Don't you tell me no Don't you tell me no Don't you tell me no Don't you tell me no soul I hear you calling Oh baby please ...Give a little respect.... to me...."

Overall a very mellow album. It's a grower.

"I want to eat your artichoke heart."

I love how everyone who loves Radiohead had this album already before it was even released.

Comment

I'm running a little behind. I'm just now starting to get into Simple Minds...and Tears for Fears.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                I'm running a little behind. I'm just now starting to get into Simple Minds...and Tears for Fears.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Any New York Dolls fans?

I have to admit I never got into them but am listening to the single ("Dancing on the Lips of a Volcano") from their new album and I have to say I'm intrigued. I know it's only a couple of the surviving members but if you were a fan - you might want to give it a listen.

Comment

New York Dolls were definitely a product of their time. Their first album (the selftitled with the band name written in lipstick over the b/w band photo) is great and full of some classic tunes. The other one (In Too Much Too Soon) was OK. There was a good live bootleg from right before their breakup when Malcom McLaren was managing them (pre Sex Pistols infamy) called "Red Patent Leather" which is the only live set worth tracking down.

I haven't heard the comeback one, but I'd say it's far more important to own the three principle Stooges albums, Dead Boys, T.Rex, and, say, Pere Ubu's first two before grabbing the Dolls if you're into this kind of thing.

The first few Johnny Thunders solo albums (LAMF, So Alone) are interesting as well, right up there with the Dolls records. Lots of luminaires from the 70's rock scene have cameos on those, but watch out for a lot of shoddy pointless live reissues of the same stuff.

Comment

Coincidentally - the New York Dolls are going to play on Henry Rollins' IFC show later this month. This week they are airing a Thom Yorke performance of "Clocks" from his new solo effort.

Comment

I love Rollins show, watch it pretty regularly...

Steve, the calculator board is back up btw...
                        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

Steve, the calculator board is back up btw...
                          Yeah - noticed that yesterday and quickly grabbed my abacus.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                            I've been listening a lot to Eraser lately. (and paradoxically Dead Prez) At the end of the first song, I always think he's gonna go into "Don't you tell me no Don't you tell me no Don't you tell me no Don't you tell me no soul I hear you calling Oh baby please ...Give a little respect.... to me...."

Overall a very mellow album. It's a grower.

"I want to eat your artichoke heart."

I love how everyone who loves Radiohead had this album already before it was even released.
                            VIN - you'll enjoy these two performances Yorke did for Henry Rollins' IFC show.

The Clock acoustic and the REAL cymbal rush IMO.

Cymbal Rush is so screwed up on the original recording with all those computer blips. This is without with Jonny Greenwood and Nigel Godrich joining him.

The Clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L-xPDgDZA8

Cymbal Rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5eUUFryeLM

Comment

hey, i just found where everyone has been hiding. glad to see the music discussion is still going on here.

anyway, this past weekend i saw a double bill of Ween and the Flaming Lips at the Greek in Berkeley. it was an absolute stellar show. ween were super tight and rocked very hard with quite a few long jams. the Lips put on a terrific spectacle, but the sequence of songs and the actual songs they played were predictable. they didn't play anything earlier than the Soft Bulletin and the majority of songs were from the new album and Yoshimi (how could they not play one song from Clouds Taste Metallic?).

i also saw Radiohead a few weeks back at the Greek. it was a fantastic show. they have the best sound system i've ever heard. they played a ton of new songs, which for the most part were very good (though there was one absolute stinker and one song that was eh). however, i wished i saw the following night at the Greek as they played a lot from OK Computer.

i also saw Widespread Panic at the Greek and they were boring. i used to be a big fan back in the '90's, but their songs nowadays are lackluster and repetitive and since their lead guitarist died, they lost any spontaneity they once had. and for a band that lives off of being a live jam-band, losing spontaneity means they should just give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                                my brother is the exec. producer for that program.

Comment

Working...
                                X