Put a fuckin skirt on em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put a fuckin skirt on em!

4 roughing the passers and it's not even halftime yet. What a joke.

Edit: They just called #5 and it's still the first half.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    4 roughing the passers and it's not even halftime yet. What a joke.

Edit: They just called #5 and it's still the first half.

I suspect many of the NFL QBs...not named Tom Brady... are not all that pleased with the NFL's flagrant insistence on treating them like china dolls.

Comment

The owners want to coddle the faces of their franchises yet they’re still going to get injured ala Jimmy Garoppolo

DJax just tooling to the house but it’s coming back- hold

Comment

And here we thought the helmet rule was going to ruin the season

NFL sends clear message to players, fans: Get used to penalties for roughing the passer
        Mike Jones, USA TODAY Published 6:24 p.m. ET Sept. 24, 2018 | Updated 6:45 p.m. ET Sept. 24, 2018

We all knew what our eyes were telling us.

Clay Matthews did not rough the passer. He simply wrapped up Alex Smith as the quarterback clutched the ball and took him to the ground. Sack.

The Packers linebacker didn’t hit the Redskins quarterback high nor low. He didn’t hoist Smith into air, upend him and violently plant him into the turf. He drove right through him. Perfect form.

Yet the yellow flag came out, and Matthews found himself the recipient of yet another controversial penalty as, for the second time in as many weeks, he landed on the quarterback with all or most of his body weight.

Unlike in Week 2, when Matthews' illegal hit on Kirk Cousins cost the Packers the win as they settled for a tie with the Vikings, the Smith sack had no impact on the outcome of Green Bay's 31-17 loss.

But the penalty – the byproduct of the NFL’s new emphasis on protecting the quarterback – represented yet another frustrating episode and apparent threat to both the purity of the game and credibility of the NFL.

Matthews fumed. Packers coach Mike McCarthy was irate. And everyone from Packers players to opposing players and analysts sympathized.

“I understand the spirit of the rule,” Matthews told reporters after the game. “I said that in weeks prior. But when you have a hit like that, that’s a football play. I even went up to Alex Smith after the game and asked him, ‘What do you think? What can I do differently?’ Because that’s a football play. Like I said last week, the NFL is going to come back and say I put my body on him. But that’s a football play.”

His frustrations mounting, Matthews said what many of us have thought, “Unfortunately, this league is going in a direction I think a lot of people don’t like. I think they’re getting soft. The only thing hard about this league is the fines that they levy down on guys like me that play the game hard.”

Where’s the lie? Where’s the misinterpretation?

According to the NFL, right in front of us. Textbook foul, the NFL says.

“If you were to ask me to show you a video of what the rule prohibits, I would show you that play,” retired NFL official Ed Hochuli, who now works as a consultant for the league, told USA TODAY Sports on Monday. “That is the most classic, textbook, exactly, example of the foul of landing on a quarterback with all or most of your body weight.”

The backlash from players, coaches and fans will not sway the league. This isn’t the murky catch rule, which the NFL agreed needed to be corrected this offseason. The roughing the passer standards are clear.

According to Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9, “A rushing defender may make direct contact with the passer only up through the rusher’s first step after such release (prior to second step hitting the ground); thereafter the rusher must be making an attempt to avoid contact and must not continue to 'drive through' or otherwise forcibly contact the passer; incidental or inadvertent contact by a player who is easing up or being blocked into the passer will not be considered significant.”

This language was actually put into place in 1995. It’s only now that the competition committee has stressed the need to actually enforce this rule.

Why now?

Some single out Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr, who broke Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' collarbone last year on the kind of hit that's now a point of emphasis and wrecked the Packers’ season. Others point to the league’s ongoing mission to make the game safer as officials strive to avoid risk of further legal action from players regarding concussions.

Regardless, this point of emphasis is here to stay. Players must adjust their techniques, league officials insist, and all of us must adjust our thinking.

Easier said than done, right?

“It’s very hard,” Redskins linebacker Ryan Kerrigan told USA TODAY Sports on Monday. “If you slow down to ease up, then you could miss the sack (or give the quarterback) more time to make the pass. It’s hard.”

But Hochuli disagrees. And after he took me through Matthews' play, I’m starting to understand.

“If you watch that play, you will see that the defender is still two steps away from the quarterback when he knows he’s got a sack,” Hochuli said. “He knows because the ball is still tucked down, and it’s not even up in a passing posture. At a step away, there’s absolutely no doubt about it and all he’s got to do is go to the side. Instead of continuing on straight into the quarterback, he’s just got to roll to the side and make it more of an arm tackle instead of a body tackle.

"After he’s made contact with the quarterback, he still takes two more steps. After he’s made contact before he goes to the ground. Roll off to the side. There were actually many opportunities for Clay to roll to the side. And he is an amazing athlete. These guys are all amazing athletes and the things they’re able to do, I may not be able to do, but that’s all he’s got to do – make that mental adjustment that as he approaches the quarterback.”

Slowed down in that fashion, it all makes more sense. But the perception problem remains.

Quarterbacks such as Rodgers and Smith even believe some grey area remains and that the league should clear things up. Other players are under the impression that NFL brass cares only about protecting quarterbacks.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase made a concerning suggestion when he noted that William Hayes suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament Sunday after the pass rusher tried to avoid landing with his body weight on Raiders quarterback Derek Carr.

Responding to that news, 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman tweeted, “(The NFL) don’t care about the rest of us getting hurt. Long as the QB is safe.”

Richard Sherman

@RSherman_25
        They don’t care about the rest of us getting hurt. Long as the QB is safe

trey wingo

@wingoz
        So in attempt to keep a QB safe... a DL’s season is over https://twitter.com/cameronwolfe/sta...47864682172417

12:41 PM - Sep 24, 2018
        7,612 people are talking about this

Others have suggested that these controversial calls have threatened the credibility of the game, following the same thread as Matthews when he suggested the league was "getting soft."

But the NFL seemingly disagrees again.

“I don’t think it’s a big problem at all,” Hochuli said.

He pointed out that Matthews drawing two such penalties brings greater visibility to the issue because he’s a high-profile player. But in 3,342 pass attempts across the league through Sunday's, only 30 such plays have drawn roughing the passer penalties. That number is up, however, from 16 through the first three weeks of the 2017 season and 20 in 2016.

The NFL believes that the outcry over this rule eventually will subside. Hochuli pointed to the strong reaction that the rule changes regarding hits to a defenseless receiver initially drew several years ago. Defensive players wondered how they would operate given the new constraints, but they have adapted. This could indeed happen eventually as players and the public come around on the new emphasis on roughing the passer.

But for now, skepticism and concern remain.

Comment

I would also point out that there was a time when every QB fell down with arm tackles but today's QB (Rothlisberger, Wentz, et al) are bigger and stronger. They aren't coming down with an arm tackle
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            I would also point out that there was a time when every QB fell down with arm tackles but today's QB (Rothlisberger, Wentz, et al) are bigger and stronger. They aren't coming down with an arm tackle

Injuries happen period. The rules have been fine going into this year. This is BS. Last night was a joke. Make them wear mandatory protection if you don't want them to get hurt instead of them wearing next to nothing to make it easier to throw and run up fantasy football scores.
            Last edited by Eagle60; 09-25-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Injuries happen period. The rules have been fine going into this year. This is BS. Last night was a joke. Make them wear mandatory protection if you don't want thethem to get hurt instead of them wearing next to nothing to make it easier to throw and run up fantasy football scores.
              how long has it been that the over/under was in the 20s ? I miss killer defenses
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

How long will it be before we hear "personal foul, looking at the quarterback in a suspicious manner".

Comment

Working...
                X