We've seem this flick before (Eery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've seem this flick before (Eery)

A bizzare early season choke...sound familiar? The Kearse injury thing is especially weird. But if history is going to repeat itself, that's ok. We went 12-4 in 2002 and made it to the NFC championship game (only to be out-juiced, so to speak, by the Panthers).

Titans rally past Eagles, but lose Kearse
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL ... 08_PHI@TEN

NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sept. 8, 2002) -- The Tennessee Titans think they have their winning attitude back. They can thank Steve McNair and Eddie George.

McNair threw for two touchdowns, including one in the fourth quarter, and George scored on a 2-yard run with 3:09 remaining as the Titans rallied and beat the Philadelphia Eagles 27-24 for their first season-opening victory since 1999.

"This is the way we felt years ago," Titans receiver Kevin Dyson said. "We kept fighting and found a way to win. We never felt like we were out of it."

The Titans, who lost five games at home in going 7-9 last season, had plenty of reason for pessimism. They had led only once in the game, 7-0 after their opening drive, and turned the ball over four times.

They lost three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jevon Kearse on the second play from scrimmage with a broken left foot. He will have surgery Sept. 9, and will be sidelined 6-to-8 weeks. Tennessee also had several players battling cramps in 90-degree heat.

Even a ruling on an onside kick by the Eagles went against them.

"No one blinked an eye," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "They just kept playing, and I'm especially proud of them."

The defense sacked Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb six times, intercepted him twice and shut down the Eagles in the second half. Philadelphia had 261 yards of total offense but only 78 in the second half. McNabb was 18 of 36 for 212 yards and threw for three touchdowns.

The defending NFC East champions had two chances in the final 3:03, but the Eagles went three-and-out on their first possession. On Philadelphia's last possession, rookie Carlos Hall sacked McNabb for the third time, knocking the ball loose and Titans end Kevin Carter recovered with 1:12 to go.

That set off euphoria for the Titans.

Jevon Kearse will miss 6-to-8 weeks with a broken left foot. [UH OH]

Not for the Eagles, who led 24-10 at halftime and didn't score again.

"This goes on my shoulders," Philadelphia coach Andy Reid said. "This is my fault, and I take the full responsibility for it. I need to do a better job of being more aggressive in the second half and putting the players in a better position, and that is what I will do." [AND HE DID!]

Reid had McNabb handing off in the second half, and that is when the Eagles bogged down. McNabb said part of the problem came from the Titans disguising their defenses.

"We know that with the number of guys they were bringing that we had to get rid of the ball quick," McNabb said.

The momentum shifted for good with Philadelphia leading 24-13 at the end of the third quarter.

Andre Dyson intercepted a pass from McNabb. The Titans then got a key defensive pass interference call against former Tennessee safety Blaine Bishop for 40 yards, and McNair threw a 2-yard TD pass to Justin McCareins five plays later with 12:49 to go.

The Titans tried for a 2-point conversion, but McNair was stripped of the ball short of the goal line.

It didn't matter.

Tennessee forced Philadelphia to punt, and McNair drove the Titans 84 yards over 14 plays by going 6 of 9 for 81 yards. The highlight was a 39-yard catch-and-run by Derrick Mason on third-and-19 to the Eagles 30. McNair was 24 of 34 for 269 yards and two touchdowns in the game.

"We finished this ball game," McNair said. "We didn't finish a lot of ball games last year."

George scored five plays later on a 2-yard run around the right side. He padded the margin by running around the left side for the 2-point conversion. He ran 18 times for 42 yards, caught four passes for 38 yards and scored on a 14-yard TD pass at the beginning of the game.

Philadelphia took control midway through the first quarter with 14 points within three minutes. McNabb found James Thrash for an 18-yard TD pass, then the Eagles recovered David Akers' onside kick even though the ball went only 8 yards and was never touched by the Titans.

Officials ruled Titans linebacker Peter Sirmon had touched the ball first, giving possession to the Eagles. Fisher challenged the call after replays on the stadium's video board clearly showed the Titans never touched the ball, and only blocked Akers away. But referee Terry McAulay ruled there was no indisputable evidence from television replays to overturn the call.

AR said that same thing almost word for word after the loss today. Ugh....
    FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I fail to see the the parallel...

Comment

We go out to a big lead then collapse in the second half when our running game sputters. It happens early in the season so everyone panics. Oh, and Jevon Kearse got hurt in the Tenessee game too.

That's the parallel.

Comment

this is a consistant theme in the reid era...and it just isn't early in the year either...look at the playoffs and superbowl. it is the one reason they are not muliple superbowl champions. they finish poorly.

Comment

Why does Reid have to keep relearning these same lessons over and over again?

His stupid descision to go conservative cost the game and possibly Kearse for the rest of the year. He infuriates me sometimes.
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

I think it is honorable that he accepts the blame and responsibility of his decisions. I cannot understand why he continues to end up in the same circumstances. If you keep acknowledging the sames mistakes over and over you are not learning...and if you are not learning you are not changing...and if your not changing you are not improving...and if you are not improving you are winning championships

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
                I think it is honorable that he accepts the blame and responsibility of his decisions. I cannot understand why he continues to end up in the same circumstances. If you keep acknowledging the sames mistakes over and over you are not learning...and if you are not learning you are not changing...and if your not changing you are not improving...and if you are not improving you are winning championships
                He did, however,finally kick a field goal at the end of a half, rather then try one more play w/ ten seconds left and lose out on the 3 points, like he has many times before
                Maybe he has learned a little something from past mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                X