Eagles are the first #1 seed that's an underdog to #6 seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles are the first #1 seed that's an underdog to #6 seed

You just know this news just became motivational fuel in the Eagles' locker room.

Seriously, WTF?
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f:nbcnews:text

Yikes - I know I haven't posted here in forever, but I forgot that I still had the Vick picture in my profile! That needs to go.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

I've been wondering where the hell you have been BE. Welcome home!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Welcome back balto!! Damned good to see you here!
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Welcome back.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

No #1 ever lost their starting QB after clinching the division

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
            Point taken. I looked up the 1990 Giants and they were the #2 NFC seed when Simms went down. I couldn't find if they were the underdog in the divisional round or not. Somehow I doubt it.

Great to be back for a bit - life's been busy with a three year old plus 2-3 hours of commuting every day. Haven't followed the Eagles as much as I'd like. But again it's good to be back for a bit. Maybe I'll put a couple of Falcons/Eagles cheerleader pics into that thread for old time's sake.
            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
              Point taken. I looked up the 1990 Giants and they were the #2 NFC seed when Simms went down. I couldn't find if they were the underdog in the divisional round or not. Somehow I doubt it.

Great to be back for a bit - life's been busy with a three year old plus 2-3 hours of commuting every day. Haven't followed the Eagles as much as I'd like. But again it's good to be back for a bit. Maybe I'll put a couple of Falcons/Eagles cheerleader pics into that thread for old time's sake.
              You took one helluva a season off BE!

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                Technically, not sure we did either. I think the Rams win (which Foles had to finish by coming from behind) clinched the division, though it was essentially in the bag at that point.

The Raiders last year lost Carr after clinching a playoff berth, but were a wildcard at 12-4.

It's not a huge surprise that we are dogs, after seeing Foles the last couple of weeks. Backup QBs have not always fared well in the playoffs. But some have done OK. Frank Reich got the Bills to the Super Bowl one year.

Comment

It’s understandable why we’re underdogs if you think about t logically. However, I’m hoping the eagles aren’t a bunch of logicians and this will burn them up.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                    It’s understandable why we’re underdogs if you think about t logically. However, I’m hoping the eagles aren’t a bunch of logicians and this will burn them up.
                    This is what I am hoping for as well. I’m hoping the Eagles players listen to Skip Bayless, Cowherd, the NFL guys, and all the other experts who think they’re not worthy of even being in the playoffs without Wentz.

And channel that into fuckin up the Falcons

Comment

Fletcher Cox ........"People doubted us every week, so we just want to go out there and shut those doubters up because at the same time, we are the only people, in this locker room, that believe in us."

I hope he is right. I hope the Chris Long's of the team can inspire the rest of the players because the birds will probably need the D to hold Atlanta's offense.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Betting lines are not indictatve of game outcomes. They are meant to get folks betting money on both sides. I would take the Eagles and the points as quickly as I can. I see the line moving in the Eagles direction as the week moves on
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Here's what the gambling houses have to say about it

Opening Line Report - DP
                          January 8, 2018
                          By Marcus DiNitto
                          VegasInsider.com

Wild-card weekend featured an against-the-spread sweep by the four underdogs, a result partly attributable to inflated lines. While both 'dogs won Saturday’s games outright, the Bills covered as 8.5-point dogs in a 10-3 loss at Jacksonville on Sunday, and the Panthers cashed while catching 6.5 at New Orleans later that afternoon.

The underdogs may offer value in the divisional round as well.

“As a bookmaker, you want to open these things higher than you even think they are. Even if you write a bet or two on the dog it’s no big deal, because with all the teasers and money lines, straight bets and parlays, you’ll still need that side,” Ed Salmons, oddsmaker at the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, said Sunday night. “That’s reflected in this week’s (divisional round) lines, too. You can see how these things are all really juiced up.”

With that, here are the early betting numbers for this week’s quartet of playoff games. Point spreads and totals listed are the Vegas consensus as of Monday morning, and differences among sports books and early moves are also noted.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Atlanta Falcons (-2.5, 41.5) at Philadelphia Eagles - (NBC, 4:35 p.m. ET)

For the first time since the expansion of the NFL playoff field to 12 teams in 1990, bookmakers have installed a No. 1 seed as an underdog in the divisional round. The betting line for Saturday afternoon’s affair is an obvious reflection of the quarterback situation: It’s Matt Ryan, last season’s MVP and near-Super Bowl hero, vs. Nick Foles, who has not impressed in Carson Wentz’s stead.

“It’s based on perception, that’s how this game is made,” Salmons said of opening Atlanta -2.5. “The perception is the Eagles are no good with Nick Foles and Atlanta is the team that should have won the Super Bowl and just won their hardest game (of the season) against the Rams, and they’ll go in and roll the Eagles. I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I think that’s what (the public is) going to bet, and that’s why the line is where it is."

“We’ll need the Eagles, and there’s no reason to need the Eagles at pick ‘em because if people want to lay 2.5 or 3, let ‘em,” he added.

South Point sports book director Chris Andrews was surprised to see the Falcons as the team laying the points.

“I don’t agree with the number at all. I think it’s a huge overreaction,” Andrews said.

With a healthy Wentz, Philly would be about a 7.5-point favorite, Andrews estimated, “so you’re talking about a 10-point difference with Foles. Foles isn’t great, but he isn’t terrible.”

Foles’ performance over the last few games notwithstanding, bettors shouldn’t forget how good the Eagles have been this season.

“Philly is solid up and down that whole lineup, it’s not just at quarterback,” Andrews said. “I know Foles has not looked great, but he’s had a couple weeks now at starter, and I really like the coaching staff for Philly and I think Foles will play well. I was thinking pick ‘em, and that, ‘Boy, I would still play Philly at pick ‘em.’ And here we are at 2.5.”

The Wynn’s John Avello, though, believes the Falcons deserve to be favored in this spot.

“They’re certainly not the same team without their starting quarterback,” Avello said of the Eagles.

Early bettors agree.

“I opened at 2. I thought that was plenty high, but we went to 2.5, and they’re laying me the 2.5,” Andrews said. “I don’t know if I’m going to go to 3 or not, but right now it’s been all Atlanta money at my store.”

The line did bump to Atlanta -3 (even) during early wagering on some boards, and that’s getting real close to a number that will pique wiseguys’ interest in the dog.

“I think wiseguys will take Philadelphia +3 flat at any time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point, they drive this line back toward Atlanta -1 or even a pick,” Salmons said.

The public laying the points and the sharps taking them is a good situation for books.

“As a bookmaker, you never want the public and the wiseguys to be on the same side,” Salmons said. “That’s your worst nightmare because you have a huge decision, and that’s the last thing you want.”

Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots (-13.5, 47) - (CBS, 8:15 p.m. ET)

The Westgate’s in-house numbers had the Patriots as a 13.5-point favorite for Saturday’s primetime offering, but the bookmakers decided to post New England -14 to test the market. The opening line drew close to $10,000 in bets on the Titans +14, prompting an adjustment to 13.5. Those wagers on the 'dog were likely from bettors grabbing the biggest number they could find.

On the other hand, public bettors aren’t scared off by large spreads when it comes to the Patriots. And laying big numbers at home in the divisional round is a familiar role for New England. Last season, also on a Saturday night, the Pats were 16-point favorites vs. Houston .

“They didn’t care, they laid it to death,” Salmons said of casual bettors.

They also cashed, as New England won the game, 34-16.

Avello gives the Titans a puncher’s chance in Foxboro next weekend, a better chance, in fact, than Jacksonville has at Pittsburgh on Sunday despite the shorter point spread.

“Their defense seems to play better when it gets to the postseason, but you can run the ball the on ‘em, you can throw the ball on ‘em,” Avello said of the Patriots, “I mean, they bend. That’s the only reason I give the Tennessee team a shot.”

Comment

Working...
                          X