Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a deep breath and putting it all into perspective....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a deep breath and putting it all into perspective....

Yeah, yesterday's collapse sucked, but honestly, I am not nearly as upset as many here seem to be.

Part of that is because I believe that you are never as good as you look (first three quarters) and never as bad as you look (4th and OT). The other part is that the game, one way or another, didn't really change my opinion of where this team fits in the NFC.

This is a playoff team in my opinion that could win the division but could also easily just only be a WC team. I figured we would lose a home game in the NFC East but also win a road game or two that we weren't expected to (I figured we would lose to Dallas at home but beat the Giants).

SO yesterday sucked, but in the end, my overall opinion of the team and season is unchanged..... we are a 9-10-11 win team depending on the breaks that is likely a playoff team but maybe not necessarily the NFC East champ.

The Giants, even in their win, were not overly impressive. The Cowboys struggled for 2 quarters in Jax but looked better last night, even along the OL. The Skins stink offensively. They are pathetic.

i dont think anybody here was expecting the Eagles to just return to the prior days of dominating the NFC East. But after an 0-6 turn in the division last year, this was an important game for the franchise.

to just piss it away with mistakes and poor execution is a very bad sign, IMO. you can't just write it off by taking a macro view of things. this game could be very damaging, particularly with the defensive injuries.

it can also serve to inspire the giants, which is the last thing we need. the giants were headed for 0-2 with more tough games coming up. now they're all talking about eli's inspiring leadership.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

It sucked. In fact, it super-sucked.

But fuck it. Let's beat the shit out the Niners and Packers and regroup.

I'm not letting that game ruin the season. It's week 2.

We all watched the game. We all know what happened. I'm not going to relive it because it makes me sick.

I love the Eagles. I love this Eagles team. They stumbled. Let's help them back up.

Comment

I guess if it comes down to one game that takes us out of the playoffs then you have to look at the games you lost that you should have won, and this one is certanly one of them. I guess what you're saying is you are confident that it won't matter in the long run. I only agree if the 4th quarter collapse is an aberation but only time will tell just how important this loss was.
        We did learn yesterday that this defense can be great at times and they can have periods of disasterous play. At the end of the day if a qb can throw for over 300 yds and 3 tds inspite of getting sacked 8 times and dominated for 3 quarters then what good does it do to have the eight sacks.

Comment

My NYC area brethen have the right tone in this thread, and believe me, we're all dealing with the belly of the beast this week.

I've eaten more shit this morning since getting to the office than I had for breakfast, and most of it from "fans" who hardly watched the game they were so busy jerking off to the Yankees and Mets.

I'm more worried about how this positively impacts the Giants and "unites" their disparate and temparemental personalities than how this implodes the psyche of a team fully of guys who've seen worse and have a lot to prove to themselves, the city, and the national media.

Since nobody in our division has exactly looked like the second coming of the Patriots dynasty, I'm not ready to write off the NFC East by any means. And with the vaunted Panthers looking even worse than us, and the terminally flawed Chicago and Atlanta looking like the best teams in the NFC, I'm not ready to write off a good playoff run just now.

Comment

If Rex Grossman keeps playing like this, the Bears aren't really terminally flawed anymore.

Comment

Thank God it's only week two. That was a monumental disaster we witnessed yesterday. To make matters worse, it really looked to me like Kearse tore knee ligaments. He'll be incredibly lucky if it's just a severe sprain. And, that it happened in overtime of a game that should have never gone into OT should certainly have a lot of our players looking at themselves in the mirror this morning.

But, it's a long season, and it's not how you start, it's how you finish. We'll see just how much character the team has in how they respond to it.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglefan55
                At the end of the day if a qb can throw for over 300 yds and 3 tds inspite of getting sacked 8 times and dominated for 3 quarters then what good does it do to have the eight sacks.
                When you're down 17 points and have had zero success running the ball, you're going to start throwing the ball every down, which is what the Giants did. I think Manning had only like 170 yards passing midway through the 3rd quarter.

Comment

All the more reason we should have been able to shut him down. We KNEW they'd be passing, and he still ate us up, with a HIGH completion percentage.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Webb
                    If Rex Grossman keeps playing like this, the Bears aren't really terminally flawed anymore.
                    When he plays a real defense in a close game, let me know. Hey, I'm definitely happy for the Bears if they have a guy after, what, 30+ years of QB revolving doors including riding McMahon to a SB win. I'm still not seeing anywhere near a complete offense that can compete against the elite teams in January. Their games with the Vikings to decide the division should be really fun to watch.

Comment

Half of the things that happened to cause that collapse (Hanson forced to play every down, a forward fumble for a TD, Westbrook fumbles, Giants recover every fumble in the game) could easily never happen again this season. And it took all of them to lose that game. That could have happened to any team. I'm not writing off the loss per se, but I am sort of downplaying its impact going forward. Sometimes when you're 99.5% likely to win, it comes up with the other .5%. It still means you'll probably win the next 99.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                        Half of the things that happened to cause that collapse (Hanson forced to play every down, a forward fumble for a TD, Westbrook fumbles, Giants recover every fumble in the game) could easily never happen again this season. And it took all of them to lose that game. That could have happened to any team. I'm not writing off the loss per se, but I am sort of downplaying its impact going forward. Sometimes when you're 99.5% likely to win, it comes up with the other .5%. It still means you'll probably win the next 99.
                        Add to that Akers missed FG that would normally be money and all of that could still have happened and it doesn't go to OT

Comment

[quote=2nd and Arch]
                          Originally posted by "Ty Webb":02792
                          When he plays a real defense in a close game, let me know. Hey, I'm definitely happy for the Bears if they have a guy after, what, 30+ years of QB revolving doors including riding McMahon to a SB win. I'm still not seeing anywhere near a complete offense that can compete against the elite teams in January. Their games with the Vikings to decide the division should be really fun to watch.[/quote:02792]

Note the word "if" in my post. I never said he was the answer.

But you can poo poo all you want, if Grossman is really this good and performs well all year, the Bears are a very, very good team, probably better than the Birds IMO.

Comment

When your up 17 points in the 4th Q is this league a W should be automatic, It's not like the Eagles were hitting them on fluke plays, and ST TD's.

Losing a division game at home hurts more.

Losing the game and sustaining a shit load of injuries makes it worse.

The one plus is the next 2 games shouldn't be a killer test. maybe we can get some healthy cover CB's back in the fold before we play the next decent team.
                            Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

Working...
                            X