Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blitz
    Originally posted by Tony
    What worries me is this: The Giants played a different offensive scheme in the last quarter and got things going against the D. What stops em doing that again?
    I agree. But to take it a little bit farther what stops any team from doing what the Giants did yesterday?
    Hopefully, Rod Hood and Lito Sheppard.

Comment

Their new strategy in the 4th quarter for Eli to play chuck and duck. If there was NFL level CBs out there we probably pick of 2-3 of those "passes".
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
        Their new strategy in the 4th quarter for Eli to play chuck and duck. If there was NFL level CBs out there we probably pick of 2-3 of those "passes".
        I hate NY newspapers but I scan them for stories for the blog. Today I can't even read it but the HEADLINES are bugging the shit out of me. THey are absolutely blowing manning like you've never seen before.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKK!!!

Comment

Great post JRJ. But yeah, we'll miss the Freak, and Rod Hood and Lito need to heal too........nothing like an early season gut check to steel a team together, eh? And let's be real, this feels like a new Eagles team..........I agree with SF though (want to see them beat NFC East opponents soundly), and I don't want to see them ease up on opponents unless they've got second stringers coming out there on offense.........
          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
            I was thinking that too dawk. It's to be seen whether this is the Dallas Game or the Titans Game deja vu.

I won't feel right about this team until we beat Dallas in week 5.
            After losing the the Titans in the first game of 2002, when the Titans came back to beat the Eagles, the Birds turned in around in the next two games and smoked the Redskins and the Cowboys.

I expect the same next Sunday against the 49ers.
            The Shack - Santa Monica, CA - LA's Home for Philadelphia Eagles Football

Comment

From a long-term perspective, the injuries are more significant than the loss. If McDougle steps up, maybe we're ok. But my guess is that we won't see the dominant defense we saw for three quarters yesterday for the rest of the year. Less pass rush = more secondary issues, although of course if Hood and Lito come back soon that area will improve.

On a different note - because this still bugs me - why didn't Lewis just smack the ball through the endzone for a TB instead of trying to fall on a bouncing ball? It was a rare instance where trying to pick it up might have actually been better. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but smacking the ball would seem easier and better than falling on it at the 2.
              Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
              Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered
                From a long-term perspective, the injuries are more significant than the loss. If McDougle steps up, maybe we're ok. But my guess is that we won't see the dominant defense we saw for three quarters yesterday for the rest of the year. Less pass rush = more secondary issues, although of course if Hood and Lito come back soon that area will improve.

On a different note - because this still bugs me - why didn't Lewis just smack the ball through the endzone for a TB instead of trying to fall on a bouncing ball? It was a rare instance where trying to pick it up might have actually been better. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but smacking the ball would seem easier and better than falling on it at the 2.
                Very few athletes are smart enough to think about these things. They are trained to react and the first reaction is to fall on the ball. At least he didnt try to pick it up and run.. it was just an unlucky squirt.

Comment

sf is right. In a crazed panic situation like that, most players are gonna be thinking ONE thing......GET THE BALL!!!!! I don't blame Lewis for that play at all. In fact, I'm glad that he appeared to TRY to just safely get down on it. Unfortunately, right as he got down on the ball, a Giant was landing on him and rolling him. It was a damned e-for-all guys. that shit happens.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                    sf is right. In a crazed panic situation like that, most players are gonna be thinking ONE thing......GET THE BALL!!!!! I don't blame Lewis for that play at all. In fact, I'm glad that he appeared to TRY to just safely get down on it. Unfortunately, right as he got down on the ball, a Giant was landing on him and rolling him. It was a damned e-for-all guys. that shit happens.
                    Falling on the football is the right play when you're standing near the loose football, but when you're running full speed and diving on a bouncing ball, there's practically NO CHANCE that you can recover it properly. Highlight films are LITTERED w/ guys attempting that and the ball squirting loose multiple times. In those situations it's better to try and scoop the ball up from a standing position. The old school mentality of 'just fall on the ball' is not always the best option. I hope that from here on out the Eagles teach that there are different ways to safely recover a fumble. And also to teach them to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS trail the play, you never know when the ball will pop out. Kudos to Tim Carter for doing that.

Comment

Not gonna argue, Swing. Batting it out of the end zone would have been the smartest move. But I never give guys crap for trying to make a play. Unless it is ALARMINGLY stupid.

It's like, some guys are giving Westy a hard time for trying to dive for more yardage when he fumbled. Would I have liked him to take better care of the football? Sure. But I'm not gonna beat him up about it. He was being agressive and trying to go for a critical first down. Trying to get whatever he could. I don't want to rob players of their agressiveness. If you're going to make a mistake, make it at full speed.

Lewis was thinking one thing, recover the ball. I wish he had. We wouldn't be talking about this now. But the guy can't win. If he had tried to pick it up on the run and muffed it, people would be killing him for not just getting on the ball. If he had tried to swat at the ball and knock it out of the endzon, but only got part of the ball and it was recovered before making it thru, again, he'd be slaughtered. It's not that he didn't make the right choice, it's that he failed.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Good point, i hadn't even thought about knocking the ball through the end zone.

Comment

Re: Ask yourself this question

Thought I'd put JRJ's post back in the spotlight:
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          How did you feel after we "beat" San Diego last year? Honestly, it felt "good" on some level just to escape from the jaws of death. But deep, deep down, it didn't feel that good. Because the goal is to win the Super Bowl, and last year I saw a very flawed team, lacking depth all around, and pass rush.

OK, today if you are a Giants fan, you feel euphoria, becuase your squad got the W.

But after sleeping on it, and letting the pain of the loss go somewhat to out things in perspective, this week 2 loss is just that--a week 2 loss. Its true. My Eagles have won "statement" games in the regular season before--anyone else remember 1992 and the battle of the undefeateds, Eagles v. Dallas on Monday Night? We blew out a young Dallas squad at the Vet. They went on to beat us later in the year, and in the playoffs.

STATEMENT GAMES DON'T EXIST IN THE REGULAR SEASON. Real contenders know you win in November, to put yourself in position to get on a roll in December and head into the postseason with momentum.

Here's the truth--Freak or no Freak, the NY football Giants CANNOT block EITHER of our 2 DL's! The Jints DL CAN'T get pressure against our OL. NY beat our 4th and 5th CB's, and had every possible thing break right for them to pull out a miracle. You think the Ginats coaching staff isn't worried about a rematch? The Eagles flew around and just left the foot off the pedal at the end.

THE EAGLES IN THE FIRST 3 QUARTERS LOOKED LIKE THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFL. Think about that, and take into account quality of opponent and "need" for the game. Other teams are winning, but Philly DOMINATED a so called SB contender in a must win situation. Dominated, in all 3 phases.

Whose DL looks better than ours? Whose OL in the NFL looks better?

Yes, we could have used the W. But its a long season. The Jints limping out with a lucky W means squat in the big picture unless they do something the next 14 weeks. I'm pretty confident that barring further injuries, if Lito and Hood are back, that the Birds will TAKE IT TO NY AGAIN in the Meadowlands. NY dodn't look "good", even in the "comeback." Man I saw Eli convert on 3rd and long just ducking and chucking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He threw up a prayer and turned his back to avoid a killer lick. High school coaches would bench people for such a reckless throw--he just got incredibly lucky his prayer landed.

Did you seethe scary Cowboys and Redskins? I mean, Dallas had to win and was ripe for the picking until the totally inept Skins O imploded. The Division is all hype!!!!! The Birds ARE back, and we will win the division.

Its WEEK 2 man. Let NY feel they won the SB. Lets let this thing play out. We have an exciting, young team that will get BETTER as the year goes on, and the rivals in our division are mostly loading up with vets for a 1 year run (especially Was & Dallas). Chiocago is beating the tar out of fraud teams, the Falcons can't throw the rock, the panthers are 0-2, Seattle looks mortal. Why the doom and gloom??? If we played like crap, gave up the stats the Jints did, and WE won, would everybody be popping corks today. In the BIG picture, I'd rather flash domination and potential, than back into a week 2 win. Just my 2 cents.
                          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Interesting perspectives from all. And yeah, I woke up early Monday and couldn't shake thinking about the game too.

Hey, I'm not worried about anything but seeing this team get better from week to week. Its HARD to DOMINATE a quality team in any NFL game. The Eagles for 3 quarters on Sunday did that, and took it to the Texans for 3 quarters before that.

Hey, I love Jevon too. But the real loss isn't his pressure from the edge, we have guys in the wings that can do that. The real loss is the "joker", the standup rush guy in the 3-4 looks. We have nobody that can do that like Freak, especially since Gocong is on IR.

I don't even care if we win the division so long as we make the playoffs. The Birds could be like Pittsburgh last year-peaking at the right time. If they play an A game like they did vs. NY for 3/4 of the day on Sunday, could they go into Chicago or Seattle or NY or Carolina and win in January? Hell yes. Home field is OVERATED, and don't we know it! The pressure of playing at home is tough. I think this Eagles team would play well on the road. But forst things first.

Hey, I really, really like this team. Its physical. It palys fast. It has playmakers. You win in the NFL by controlling the LOS, having smart, consistent play from your QB, and getting "explosive" plays on both sides on the ball--long runs, bombs on O and sacks and takeaways on D. Who flahses more playmaking potential this year than us? We will ABUSE teams with fewer weapons than NY-which is just about everybody!

Comment

JRJ - do you see Juqua Thomas as a potential joker? He's a speed rusher with some agility. Perhaps he can develop into this role down the road?

Comment

Working...
                              X