Is anyone concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone concerned

with the way Wentz keeps getting guys clocks cleaned ? He got Howard blasted Thursday and Ertz a couple times in previous weeks
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

To be honest with you no and I think that the so called experts who say some QBs can are full of shit. If you are going to run crossing routes it's going to happen. John Madden wouldn't run them because they were too dangerous. When a guy is open he gets the ball period. QBs don't have time to track every defender on the field trying to keep them safe. That whole conversation is a myth IMO.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

On a related note, I was thinking about a question someone else brought up as to whether some of the drops are on Wentz. My answer is basically no, the receivers are paid to catch the ball that hits them in the hands. The Agholor drop against Atlanta was egregious. That said 7 drops in the Lions game is concerning. Watching Wentz against GB, I thought some of the throws had more touch, to wit, the soft toss to Howard for the walk-in TD. So maybe he is working on not throwing everything through a washing machine. Ultimately I think this is all about accuracy, and Wentz is still working on that. I think as he improves, he will lead his receivers better, and we may see fewer drops and knock-out hits.
      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

From what I have seen so far this year IMO about 40% of the drops are on Wentz. Too high or too hard or not deep enough. Just me.

Comment

Have you noticed how efficient the passing game has become? 50% used to make you a good QB and now a straight 60% gets you fired. I don't think that QBs just got better all of a sudden. I think it's the velcro gloves that these receivers now wear. You used to see some guys wear them but now everybody does because they are so good. So my opinion now is if you can get your hands on it period you should catch it. Those gloves are so sticky now that Beckum caught one with 3 fingers to make him famous. In short, guys should catch high balls thrown to them.
          Last edited by Eagle60; 09-29-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Yea I think some of it is on Wentz; particularly the high ones. Going across the middle is a job hazard for WRs but making them lay out or throwing it high so they have to stretch does them no favor
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Disagree a bit 60..... high ones, while in contact with a defender at 700 mph... are hard to catch.

Even a bit more concerned with touch and depth. He has missed guys by making his guy have to stop rather then running under. And while his touch has improved a bit... imm, he still needs to get better with leads and touch.

Comment

I think that it's easier to catch a ball if you have to jump instead of bending over and trying to catch it but we're splitting hairs here. IMM he's been more accurate this year than before but I could be wrong. I'd sure like us to start playing earlier than the 2nd half though.

Comment

Maybe a bit easier... but the mental end comes in for ANY wr when he exposes himself like that... if there is some separation that is fine but when you are covered it is difficult. As I said though I take more exception when he doesn’t throw it and his wr run under rather than slow dow or stop. Maybe that is all part of the touch.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    From what I have seen so far this year IMO about 40% of the drops are on Wentz. Too high or too hard or not deep enough. Just me.
                    I always go by Mike Quicks, if you get your hands on the ball you need to catch it.

A drop is a catch able ball, so if the ball is thrown high then is not catch-able ,so I am not sure how you can say 40% of the drops are on Wentz.

Now if you are saying 40% of the in completions are on Wentz (which drops are included in his in completions ), I would say that is too low. I think its more like 70% of his in-completions are on him. 30% are either throw aways based on pressure not being open or drops.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I understand where Quick is coming from. However, I will submit that everyone is human. You lay out and get your clock cleaned a couple times and your head isn't necessarily into the catch. Not saying I want alligator arm guys on the team but I also know it takes a little while to get over an ass kicking. WR job is to catch the ball but the QB job is to get the ball in a place where he can catch it (generally in stride) and not get knocked out of the game
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        I understand where Quick is coming from. However, I will submit that everyone is human. You lay out and get your clock cleaned a couple times and your head isn't necessarily into the catch. Not saying I want alligator arm guys on the team but I also know it takes a little while to get over an ass kicking. WR job is to catch the ball but the QB job is to get the ball in a place where he can catch it (generally in stride) and not get knocked out of the game
                        Exactly everyone is human and every QB at times throws a ball that they just don't see a safety coming over etc. The great Tom Brady does it. All QB's do it. It happens.

But lets be honest, the drops that we are talking about are drops. The one that Agholor dropped hit him in stride right on his hands. The one on JJAW was a much tougher catch but one that the kid caught consistently in college.

Also on that same drive where JJAW non catch Hollins dropped an easy one.

I get the head is not in the catch but the reverse of it is you drop the ball too many times and the QB stops throwing the ball to you. (How many targets did Agholor get last weekend? Exactly 1).

Comment

Sorry... and I don’t care what anybody sez..... just cause you get your hands on the ball that every time should be a catch. That is just hyperbolic bullshit !

Wonder just how many times Quick got his hands on the ball and it ended up incomplete. It’s just bullshit.

Comment

Sorry... and I don’t care what anybody sez..... just cause you get your hands on the ball that every time should be a catch. That is just hyperbolic bullshit !

Wonder just how many times Quick got his hands on the ball and it ended up incomplete. It’s just bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

Quick was a helluva receiver, he didn't drop many. Either way drops happen, 8 in one game is way too many, especially after you had a drop the week before that could have won the game for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X