No announcement yet.

Observations Eagles Cowboys game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't a popular thought but I have yet to see how great Duce is as a coach. Certainly there was success with Blount/Ajayi/Clement but I recall frustration with him then in pulling out a guy who was getting yards. Just when it looks like a guy is starting to lather up he goes to the bench.
    Not saying he is a bad coach but I am not sure he gets the most out of the backs
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      This isn't a popular thought but I have yet to see how great Duce is as a coach. Certainly there was success with Blount/Ajayi/Clement but I recall frustration with him then in pulling out a guy who was getting yards. Just when it looks like a guy is starting to lather up he goes to the bench.
      Not saying he is a bad coach but I am not sure he gets the most out of the backs
      Not sure we know who to lay that on. Maybe Duce, maybe scheme, maybe Doug philosophy that Duce is carrying out.

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
        Howard was doing fine, until they quit giving him the ball.
        I don't know I mean you were down 14 points before your offense even breaks a sweat because of their turnovers and our defenses inability to keep them out of the end zone (I would have been happy with 6 points).

However, the offense ran a total of 52 plays (which is low). 7 of which were in garbage time that Boston Scott ran (then again the entire second half was garbage time). Howard had 11 of the 17 called carries (Take Scott out and take out the 4 Carson scrambles)
        You can also say that Howard got the ball 25% of the time. Which in a game you are down that quickly in, is pretty good.

I think the one play that everyone pointing to is why run Sanders on that 3rd an 4 with a play that Howard is good at. I think it was Doug being Doug there, he has done that many times with Sproles, kind of springing his pass catching back on them. It worked sometimes with Sproles and sometimes not. I don't think its something you should ever run against a team with fast linebacker like the Cowboys had. They can close in a hurry.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          According to Doug Duce is in charge of RB rotation so the finger points to him in my book.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

A lot of teams are using the running back by committee approach but when they see a guy with a hot hand he keeps getting fed. I watch Frank Reich feed Mack relentlessly against the Chiefs. The Ol line is pumped and he gets it going. 49ers split carries with 4 guys but Coleman got the hot hand against Rams and he kept getting the rock. Give Howard te ball until he needs a breather or the situation dictates. NEVER pull him off the field in 3rd and less than 5. NEVER! SCREEN GAME Doug!!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
              I don't know I mean you were down 14 points before your offense even breaks a sweat because of their turnovers and our defenses inability to keep them out of the end zone (I would have been happy with 6 points).

However, the offense ran a total of 52 plays (which is low). 7 of which were in garbage time that Boston Scott ran (then again the entire second half was garbage time). Howard had 11 of the 17 called carries (Take Scott out and take out the 4 Carson scrambles)
              You can also say that Howard got the ball 25% of the time. Which in a game you are down that quickly in, is pretty good.

I think the one play that everyone pointing to is why run Sanders on that 3rd an 4 with a play that Howard is good at. I think it was Doug being Doug there, he has done that many times with Sproles, kind of springing his pass catching back on them. It worked sometimes with Sproles and sometimes not. I don't think its something you should ever run against a team with fast linebacker like the Cowboys had. They can close in a hurry.
              Taz, I'm just not buying it. Yes, they were down 14 points, but it was the first quarter. They feed Howard a handful of carries, and he's getting 5 yards a rush. He should have gotten more than 11 carries in the first half alone. As long as he continued to get 5 yards a carry, I'd keep giving him the football. I'm certainly not going to take him out of the game. It made no sense, whatsoever. POUND THEM if they can't stop it. Give him the ball 35 freakin times if it's working. If they pound it downfield and get a TD, it's a one score game, and they can keep pounding. Don't take the guy out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                According to Doug Duce is in charge of RB rotation so the finger points to him in my book.
                Maybe so.... but maybe it’s done by scheme... call this play that guy is in... thus the play calls decide. Also while it may be by Dougs instruction to Duce to make sure he rotates as a philosophy. Or it could all be on Duce... All I’m suggesting is that we really don’t know how it happens but we agree we don’t like it.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  Maybe so.... but maybe it’s done by scheme... call this play that guy is in... thus the play calls decide. Also while it may be by Dougs instruction to Duce to make sure he rotates as a philosophy. Or it could all be on Duce... All I’m suggesting is that we really don’t know how it happens but we agree we don’t like it.
                  Either way I don't think that we have to worry about losing our assistant HC.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                    Taz, I'm just not buying it. Yes, they were down 14 points, but it was the first quarter. They feed Howard a handful of carries, and he's getting 5 yards a rush. He should have gotten more than 11 carries in the first half alone. As long as he continued to get 5 yards a carry, I'd keep giving him the football. I'm certainly not going to take him out of the game. It made no sense, whatsoever. POUND THEM if they can't stop it. Give him the ball 35 freakin times if it's working. If they pound it downfield and get a TD, it's a one score game, and they can keep pounding. Don't take the guy out of the game.
                    So are you saying Howard should be more than 25% of the offense? He should have more than 65% of the carries? That just isn't the way football is played anymore. Even Elliot didn't get all the carries for Dallas. Backs are rotated on every team, even the teams with the great ones like Elliot and Barkley. You have to be able to pass in this league to win.

The one reason why they are taking Howard out of the game is he is not good in pass protection. Watch the games closely he misses more than he should. Say what you will about Sanders but the kid is a good blocker for RB. I think you all are too hard on this kid, he is developing and is going to be a solid all around RB for this team for years to come. The funny thing is coming out of college everyone said he was a poor blocker and couldn't catch the ball. Seems like he learned that pretty well. He is missing some holes running the ball, he has to get better there and I think he will.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                      So are you saying Howard should be more than 25% of the offense? He should have more than 65% of the carries?
                      Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. No freaking body on earth looks at the % of carries in the offense as a usable statistic for anything. Who gives a shit? "Well Duce, Howard just got another 8 yards on that rush, but you need to take him out because we don't want him to get more than 25% of the carries."

Seriously?

You have to have a feel for the game. Like I said. When you have a guy that is gashing their defense, you keep him in the game, and feed him the freaking ball until the defense shows that they can stop him. I don't care how that relates to the % of touches he gets one bit. And, what you don't do is take him out of the freakin game. Just a poor decision, and poor feel for the game being displayed by the decision makers. Period.

Comment

I agree BE. Howard should be the horse and get spelled once in awhile. Sanders is just an average back in my book. You can either run the ball or you can't and that's why everybody says that you can get one in the late rounds of the draft so don't waste a pick early. That is the same topic that we talk about every March when we start discussing the draft. They finally used a second rounder this year and picked a dud. He's too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          I agree BE. Howard should be the horse and get spelled once in awhile. Sanders is just an average back in my book. You can either run the ball or you can't and that's why everybody says that you can get one in the late rounds of the draft so don't waste a pick early. That is the same topic that we talk about every March when we start discussing the draft. They finally used a second rounder this year and picked a dud. He's too slow.
                          I think Sanders is a decent talent, and he can be productive. In this case, in this game, Howard was gashing Dallas by going north-south, and pushing the ball up between the tackles. It's working. You stick with it. Instead, they put Sanders in, and he's trying to work east-west, and it wasn't working as well. Go with what works until they stop it. And, I still like the idea of pounding teams with Howard until their defense starts to wear down, and then bring Sanders in and get him the ball in space. I like the rotation. I like Sanders. But, you have to have a feel for the freaking game, and be flexible enough in your gameplan that when something is working, or it's not working, you adjust. If one of the backs is getting big yards, and he's getting lathered up, keep him in there and feed him the ball. It's not rocket science.

Comment

Still waiting for Sanders to get lathered up.

Comment

My exact feelings EB. Not saying he gets the ball every play but he was getting 3, 4, 5 yards a carry and then got stuffed. Give him a play off but get him back in there. Next game the LBs might be slow and fat and Sanders will get around some of those corners but in this game it was straight east to the sideline for Sanders
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X