Barnett needs to make the big leap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnett needs to make the big leap

Man we really need for him to come through for us this season. Bennett was one hell of a DL for us and is going to be missed this year. Vinny has always been one of my favorites and provides a lot of TFL with his quickness coming down the line when pinching on run plays. I also think that he puts a lot of pressure on the QB even though he doesn't actually get the sack, at least that's what i remember of him from his Eagle days. But as good as he is, let's face it he's no Bennent. Let's hope Barnette and Jackson are the players that we think that they can be.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Barnett is a player. Now I can't say post injury what he will be but he is pretty young, maybe 25, and has some quality playing time under his belt. I don't know the stats but I think his were as good as any of our DEs. Just me saying I think he has superstar potential if he wants it. We will see if he does in the fall
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      Barnett is a player. Now I can't say post injury what he will be but he is pretty young, maybe 25, and has some quality playing time under his belt. I don't know the stats but I think his were as good as any of our DEs. Just me saying I think he has superstar potential if he wants it. We will see if he does in the fall
      I'm just saying that he's got to really raise his game to the level that we thought that it would be when we drafted him ND and coming off of that injury is going to be tough to overcome. I know that he has made some real big plays for us in the past. Probably his biggest was the strip sack on Case Keenum in the Championship game. He does have to improve his run defense though and become a total beast for this defense to thrive. I'm not knocking him, just trying to give him a push I guess (like he listens to me) to help bring this defense up to the Championship level that I think they can become and he's really one of the vital pieces now that Bennett is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        Barnett is still 22. He turns 23 soon.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I'm with you 60. Fans always look for the 2nd, 3rd, year guys to make that leap to show that they are a career player not a flash in the pan. I can't count the number of guys that I had thought would be career guys after a year or two but they fizzle. Usually it is because they don't have the dedication to continue working to perfect their craft or sometimes they like the weed or sometimes they finally have money and like the lifestyle or the posse gets to them or whatever. Those guys wind up selling cars on the used lot. Guys would be much better off following the Dawkins/Jenkins role model for their career; hopefully Barnett (and Clements) is that guy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Maybe Sweat can also move into a steady rotational role.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
              Maybe Sweat can also move into a steady rotational role.
              Yup, I always forget about him. As ND points out the biggest leap in a player's career is usually from year 1 to year 2. That's why it is almost useless to draft a guy for need and expect him to start. There's such a huge difference between levels as you move up the ladder. Good players from high school who dominate their league get to college and they find out that everybody on the team was all western mass, all Mississippi or all something and they might not even make the team. The same thing happens if they are fortunate enough to get to the Pro level when they try to play against veterans men. They find out that they are just kids.

I remember when the great coach George Allen coached and he'd bring in college kids and he would cut them all. A rookie never made his team. Back then there was 15 rounds in the draft and he'd trade most of them for vets and still would have great teams. People thought that he was nuts but he always would reply "the future is now". He almost kept one kid once who he thought was a very good player and kept him until the last cut and told him he was a good player and to keep working at it LOL. Of course another team picked the guy up but that's how he operated.

Comment

Good article on Barnett in the Phillyvoice. Basically said through the first four games last year he was our best DE (and by my recollection he was pretty darn good). If he would have stayed healthy his projections were 10 sacks, 52 tackles, 16TFLs and 28 QB hits. Plus he is pretty darn good at setting the edge on the run.

Very excited to have him back. I think he was on his way to a big jump last year and would be even bigger this year.

Josh Sweat just looked lost to me last year. He has the athleticism but his technique is not good. Hopefully he makes a jump in year two. If he does then our DE situation will be just fine.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I would love to sit in a coaches meeting-- position coach, coordinator, head coach and listen to the conversation on some of these guys staying or leaving. So and so just doesn't have the work ethic, so and so just doesn't get it, so and so just isn't going beyond practice squad but he is worth keeping for the scout team, so and so is undersized but he beats his guy 90% of the time, etc.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Working...
                  X