Eagles sign former Giants WR Steve Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles sign former Giants WR Steve Smith

Apparently still rehabbing, should start the season on PUP according to Chris Mortensen

Edit: One Year Deal - 4mil/2guaranteed per sources
    Last edited by 12dickau4pres; 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM.

Team saying this signing has nothing to do with Maclin. Hmmmmmm.

Comment

One "Eagles official" said Smith should be able to be activated by mid-season. Another report of an "Eagles official" who said he wouldn't be shocked if Smith was playing by the end of September.

Comment

WR injury insurance for late season or is Maclin really sick?

Comment

Originally posted by Green With Envy View Post
          WR injury insurance for late season or is Maclin really sick?
          Let's face it fellas, Mac is sick and won't be playing this year. I hope the hell the kid will be alright. Talk about Philly luck, we have 2 starters gone for the year before they even get to practice. I shudder to think what the fuck is going to happen Thursday night!

And just to add more fuckin fuel to the fire, look at his buddies:
          He's played very well against us in the past few years and we're happy to have him on board."

With the Eagles, Smith will be reunited with his collegiate teammates Mike Patterson and Winston Justice.

Are any of these guys going to see the field this year?
          Last edited by Eagle60; 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

hmmmm

1yr 4 mil? That's slot of cake for a dude coming off injury

Odd signing.

Comment

Tim_McManus Tim McManus

Smith says he will seek out McCoy on first day, give him hug and tell him it was just "Twitter beef," which I understand is good with merlot
              Well thats good to know

Comment

I just saw a tweet that said, "Hey, the Eagles now have Eli Manning's two favorite receivers...Steve Smith and Asante Samuel."

Haha. Now that's funny.

Comment

Maybe the Eagles decided they didn't want a Randy Moss circus, but ... I wonder how much he would be looking for if Maclin can't go...

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                    hmmmm

Odd signing.
                    I agree....he is a good young WR, but had a serious leg injury and will not be ready until probably October at least...I guess we can carry him on PUP and then make a decision on whether to activate him (and dump someone) or activate him to replace an injured WR.

I hope this means nothing about Maclin or Jackson, but the Eagles rarely do anything by accident or without planning it out....
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                      I just saw a tweet that said, "Hey, the Eagles now have Eli Manning's two favorite receivers...Steve Smith and Asante Samuel."

Haha. Now that's funny.
                      Thats freaking awesome...
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                        hmmmm

Odd signing.
                        Turns out, it's not as odd as it sounded. It's only $2M guaranteed, and the last $2M they are saying are incentives that he's very unlikely to reach...and if he does, he will have been worth that extra $2M.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...re-than-giants

Steve Smith: Eagles Wanted Me "Much More" Than Giants

Steve Smith took to his facebook page to explain to Giants fans why he left to sign with their most hated rival.
                          I will always cherish my time in NY and the super bowl victory.. This was obviously not an easy decision for me or something i ever expected but unfortunately the business aspect proved that the eagles wanted me to be part of their organization MUCH more than the Giants did.. A special thanks to my WR buddies, coach Gilbride, all of u amazing fans on here, and the entire giants organization for drafting me.. Time for a new beginning...
                          Smith met with the Giants this week and I think it's fair to assume from this quote that the meeting didn't go as well as Smith hoped. He clearly didn't "feel the love" from Giants GM Jerry Reese. So, Howie Roseman was right there to welcome into the City of Brotherly Love.

Not surprisingly, the Giants fans comments on the page are extremely bitter, full of foul language and hatred toward Smith. Any regret he may have had probably will be erased by those classy folks...
                          Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...rom-the-giants

Eagles Sign WR Steve Smith (The One From The Giants)

The Eagles pulled off a surprise today reportedly agreeing to a one year deal with former Giants Pro Bowl WR Steve Smith. Smith had a spectacular 2009 season catching 107 passes for over 1200 yards and was having another big year in 2010 until he had a nasty injury which required microfracture surgery in December.

"Like I've said many times before, Howie Roseman and I are always keeping our eyes open for good football players and players that we think can help our football team win," said head coach Andy Reid. "And Steve Smith certainly fits that category. He's a Pro Bowl quality receiver that we will work into our offense as soon as he is ready to go. We feel very good about our current group of receivers and Steve adds another dimension to that position. He's played very well against us in the past few years and we're happy to have him on board."

According to Ruben Frank, Smith may go on the PUP list as the Eagles believe he may not be ready to play until midseason. It's an interesting move that will probably burn Giants fans pretty bad, but will it actually help the Eagles this year? That really depends on how healthy Smith is. If it's true that he won't play until midseason, obviously his impact will only be possible later in the year... but if he's anything close to the player he was before the injury, that could be a major impact. Smith is an excellent route runner with great hands that was Eli Manning's favorite target.

Smith was expected to return to the Giants and met with them this week, but he either didn't like what they were offering or they didn't like his medical condition. People will call this a "low risk/high reward" signing for the Eagles and it certainly has the potential to be... Although that said, it remains to be seen just how "high reward" a WR coming off major knee surgery that may only be available for a half year could actually be.
                            It's worth noting that Smith was one of the many Giants that took exception to LeSean McCoy's "overrated n soft" comment during the offseason, although he was by far the most tame.

"Eagles have a great team as do we," Smith tweeted. "They've had our number lately but until you win something major I don't wanna hear it."
                            "We" is now "them."

Comment

The hatred being spewed by 'jilted' Gnats fans on BBI is absolutely wonderful.
                              http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread_page=1

The wishes for career ending injuries, permanent crippling, and even death from devotees the classiest of all NFL organizations brings joy to my heart. Smith was a favorite of Many Gnats and BBI had even awarded him with their annual BBI trophy following the 2009 season.

A very small minority forgive Smith for having made a purely financial decision and blame the Gnats FO for not handling their cap better, (Remember they lost Boss last week because there wasn't money enough to meet his demands.)

Comment

Working...
                              X